1 hour ago, Norvic said:

You will find when you get to know more Aussies, we are like other societies, we have our passivists, our narcissist's, our bullies, our jealous ones, our achievers, tall poppy knockers etc etc, and sure you get the image from your short view that we speak out, have a brawl and then drink together, personally I prefer to speak out directly when I perceive an injustice rather than bottle it up. We are just huuuumans like all other human societies with cultural differences that varies from State to State as I note you folks vary from State to State. Gold does bring out the worst as well as the best in huuuumans. I have noted as JP has when showing off gold a lot react jealously immediately, you just learn wisely with age not to show off gold, but that all is part of our crazy hobby.

Of course we are all individuals. I was not implying Aussies are not human. :smile: Just noting a broad cultural difference observed by many.

Note the language "JP showing off gold" which I think hints at it. He'd be seen as a show off, something to be avoided. Here, we wish people would show off more, because it shows what is possible and inspires. People not "showing off" gold sucks in my opinion. But I'm a Yank! :laugh:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

Perhaps I am a little ignorant here, but why is actually that ML is distrusted or even hated by apparently quite a few in Au (and beyond))? Shouldn't they rather all be happy about the fact that ML makes the world's best detectors which they could greatly benefit from?  What am I missing? Thanks in advance for some education on that topic 🤔 

Not sure if ML is actually hated but think many people like to root for the underdog who ever that is. Competition is healthy. Without it we wouldn't have new toys to complain about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

JP showing off gold

Precisely it is perceived as showing off by some, especially those that attack and call it BS eg. we build flash houses with good looking exteriors that too is considered showing off by some, I will be "showing off" (tongue in cheek) my new vehicle and its prospecting setup shortly on a separate thread. I see such as just the fruit of our labors. Certainly I do understand you don`t wish for forum members to be considered as showing off by showing their finds, that adds to their threads.

You may be a Yank Steve, but no diff to us Ozies, all individuals for sure, I certainly am not going to judge you by broad cultural differences by many, many are influenced by more of our human failings than just the individual thus is often way off the mark. Come on down and experience more of that hospitality that JP showed you, tis the fruit of life.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Norvic said:

Precisely it is perceived as showing off by some, especially those that attack and call it BS eg. we build flash houses with good looking exteriors that too is considered showing off by some, I will be "showing off" (tongue in cheek) my new vehicle and its prospecting setup shortly on a separate thread. I see such as just the fruit of our labors. Certainly I do understand you don`t wish for forum members to be considered as showing off by showing their finds, that adds to their threads.

You may be a Yank Steve, but no diff to us Ozies, all individuals for sure, I certainly am not going to judge you by broad cultural differences by many, many are influenced by more of our human failings than just the individual thus is often way off the mark. Come on down and experience more of that hospitality that JP showed you, tis the fruit of life.

Looking forward to seeing your rig Norvic.😇 My favourite hobby is trying to set up the perfect rig, 😉 I like my creature comforts so a shower every night and a cold beer or two after with a good bed off the ground preferably under something solid not canvas is the go fir me.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Norvic said:

I see such as just the fruit of our labors. 

This.

Alot of people question my reasoning for running my air conditioner in my house colder than recommended. I receive a good wage and am happy to pay for it and certainly don’t go home to be uncomfortable.

I’m pretty keen to see your set up aswell, I’ve just bought a camper trailer and am in the process of getting set up myself so all ideas are welcome.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Norvic said:

I have noted as JP has when showing off gold a lot react jealously immediately, you just learn wisely with age not to show off gold, but that all is part of our crazy hobby.

I had this happen too, found my first decent nugget and couldn’t help but show it off. The first person I showed, you could see the seething jealousy and rage behind what seemed like a calm face. 

I honestly don’t understand why? People go out and work their butts off to find the stuff yet it sends others round the bend when someone becomes successful at their hobby or livelihood. And I am by no means successful at it, at all.

Gold can be a fickle game, yet I enjoy it to no end and look forward to my next outing.

• Like 3

I think gold attracts more than its fair share of this type of human behaviour, mainly because it’s seen as being ‘got for free’, my brother in-law once said to me “its all right for you living the life of Riley” meaning I had it easy and just went around picking up gold just laying there on the ground!! I once calculated I worked more hours in a few months than he did in a whole year working for the local council. When you find yourself getting excited about the idea of a flushing toilet and the ability to turn on a light without having to start the generator you soon learn about “The Life of Riley” and how alright and easy it is.🥴

No gold is easy gold, all gold even the ‘easy gold” takes effort and determination. I do however find myself getting the fever when I see someone’s gold finds but never begrudge them for their successes, you have to be “in it to win it” and often with gold “what’s for you won’t go by you”. Another saying I like is “there’s no rush in the Gold Rush”. 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Looking forward to seeing your rig Norvic.😇 My favourite hobby is trying to set up the perfect rig, 😉 I like my creature comforts so a shower every night and a cold beer or two after with a good bed off the ground preferably under something solid not canvas is the go fir me.

Actually JP tis almost the same rig I had way back, you just didn`t see it set up in camp just on the road. Hardly took a photo back in those days, too busy but have taken a few of the new back to the future setup.

• Like 1