On 2/3/2021 at 3:26 PM, Gold Catcher said:

Perhaps I am a little ignorant here, but why is actually that ML is distrusted or even hated by apparently quite a few in Au (and beyond))? Shouldn't they rather all be happy about the fact that ML makes the world's best detectors which they could greatly benefit from?  What am I missing? Thanks in advance for some education on that topic 🤔 

You are a little new to this, and there is lots of history behind all this. The core issue with Minelab is zero direct customer communications on even the simplest things. So little things fester, because answers are never provided.

But all companies have a “thing”, and I have a sarcastic streak. So a few years ago I came up with these:

Just to get you going here are some new metal detector bumper stickers for you....

First Texas - Even we don't know how many we make or what they're for!

Garrett - We already made a flagship detector so quit asking for one.

Minelab - The most hated name in detecting!

Tesoro - Search for the past with detectors from the past.

White's - Anything happen while we were sleeping?

I zero in on the weak spot. It is interesting, because Tesoro and White’s died later for the reasons stated. Companies that do not mind their Achilles Heel often die by it.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Minelab - The most hated name in detecting!

Thanks, Steve. I think those bumper stickers still would make ML look the best when compared to the other ones 😁. Love and hate seem to have a close connection. Perhaps a clever marketing strategy?

"Love and hate are intimately linked within the human brain, according to a study that has discovered the biological basis for the two most intense emotions."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scientists-prove-it-really-thin-line-between-love-and-hate-976901.html 

• Like 1

I've been gone a couple days and I don't even know what brought on this topic.... but I'm all in!!

I made up my mind last year that I was not going to be putting up with BS people any more... trying to make everyone happy is the fastest way to the end... fire at will 

strick 

• Like 5

On 2/5/2021 at 10:27 AM, strick said:

I made up my mind last year that I was not going to be putting up with BS people any more... trying to make everyone happy is the fastest way to the end... fire at will

OK, but don't forget -- you asked for it.

Strick, your dog is ugly.

(Hmmm.  How does that edit thing work, and where did it go???!!!!  I think I just shot a BB and am soon going to be staring down the barrel of a bazooka.  :ohmy:  How can I fix this?)

"Beauty is only skin deep."  (...not enough...)

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."  (...better...?)

How about this from https://www.comicskingdom.com/hagar-the-horrible/2021-02-04

1375720181_Screenshotat2021-02-05145904.thumb.png.efe5fb5f4bd516c1bd904dd0ecf4bd52.png

On a less serious note (while I'm still shaking in fear), one thing I've noticed over my many decades:  whether or not crowing about one's favorite 'thing' (team, movie, famous person, favorite beer,...) may or may not be a sign of strength, tearing down someone else's is a sign of weakness.  We've seen that here a few times (maybe more than a few).  There's a way to be sensitive and objective and a way to be obnoxious and subjective.  One is a lot better than the other.

So back to the orignal (OT) to try and be fair, I'd show you a picture of my dog but I don't have one, just two beautiful cats.

ugly-cat2.jpg.9f8c2cd4dbfb67ff66c0380eb154ae3f.jpg

Adendum:  Strick, you're a good sport.  (I hope your dog is, too.)  After seeing this an acquaintance informed me that classy people see their pets as every bit worthy of respect as human family members.  Then she said:  "and, BTW, don't quit the day job as you'll make even less at comedy."  When I replied "but I'm retired" she quipped "I know."

You may be wondering who that wise sage was,... one of my cats.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Thanks Steve for establishing your point, count me in on this vision you have for this site. 

19 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

On a less serious note (while I'm still shaking in fear), one thing I've noticed over my many decades:  whether or not crowing about one's favorite 'thing' (team, movie, famous person, favorite beer,...) may or may not be a sign of strength, tearing down someone else's is a sign of weakness.  We've seen that here a few times (maybe more than a few).  There's a way to be sensitive and objective and a way to be obnoxious and subjective.  One is a lot better than the other.

I never said anything about tearing anyone down.... just not putting up with certain types of behavior...this can be dealt with in many ways....such as simply not responding to someone...not returning a phone call, deleting their account, or firing them as a client...no need to get nasty with people...no need to even give them an explanation as to (Why?) my preference is just to ignore sometimes....some of us are way to busy to put up with some stuff. People can be manipulative and conniving... being in business for myself for most of my 57 years has given me some perspective. Sorry but sensitivity and objectivity has it's place but not in  all situations. And I think your cats are cute 🙂

strick 

• Like 6

They may be cute, but they both look pretty ticked off at the photographer there!!🤣👍👍 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, strick said:

I never said anything about tearing anyone down.... just not putting up with certain types of behavior...

Actually that's not what I meant.  I guess I changed the subject midstream.  I think Steve was primarily objecting to posters who take swipes at reviewers/users whereas my point was directed at those who rip detectors.  And by 'rip' I'm really referring to wording and attitude.  That's why I made the distinction between what I consider acceptable (objective criticism) and unacceptable (subjective dissing).

There was a recent thread where kac mentioned what he (hope I'm not putting words in his mouth with my interpretation of his comments) perceived as an almost intolerant attitude among some that if you didn't own an XYZ detector then you were inferior.  I recall a poster here (hasn't been seen for a while) which as much as said this in the signature part of their posts.

I'm 100% on board and in agreement with what you said, and have myself also taken a similar attitude here on detectorprospector.com.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

All Steve is saying is that this site thrives on what others see as hype, and that if that is what people think this all is.... wrong place to be. Or be here, but if you publicly bring up hype to the people who are trying to educate, no warnings, you are gone. This thread IS the warning. To stricks point, I've tried too hard to please people who do not please me in return, and I'm way over that now. The poster below sums it up for me. I have to be with people that add to my energy, not those that drain it.

And yeah, ripping detectors can be a bit much. If they did not serve somebody, they would not sell. I put myself in the other guys shoes before taking a dump on his favorite detector. We would all do well to remember that.

Other than that, be kind to one another. I just think we have enough nastiness in the world, so let's leave it out there. Don't bring it to my happy place! :smile:

alignment.jpg

And with people who don’t mind sharing their passion.😊

• Like 8