8 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Well said Steve and “So say all of us”. New releases are fun but all the finger pointing over the years has grown old for me, being torn between seeing people desperate for information and at the same time being accused of HYPE has grown extremely thin with me and made more poignant by my now being a dealer selling the products I often talk about. 

I will always try my best to inform people of my perceived bias but do not mistake my passion for this subject as being hype to sell products because you will get it sorely wrong.

The only reason I hang out here is because of the effort you SteveH put into keeping this forum alive and informative, I love the hype/passion and excitement of this forum and thoroughly enjoy the camaraderie but at the end of the day after more than 20 years of being mangled by all the tall poppiests I am well over having to have my fundamentals scrutinised every time I offer an opinion!!

Good to see a defined line in the sand, to all who read what I have just written, I help develop Minelab detectors and I sell the things so take what I say with a grain of salt if your so inclined!!🥴

And this is why I’ve gone to you to buy both my machines and soon to be the third (slap me stupid for even considering going elsewhere with the first machine). It’s not because you sell them, it’s the knowledge base behind them.

It’s pretty easy to tell between the bulls**t and genuine knowledge when looking on other forums.

Glad I’ve recently found this forum and thankyou to Steve and JP and everyone else for the wisdom you have all shared on the subject.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

metal detectors are time machines in so many ways and on so many levels. when you understand that you become a seeker of treasure and knowledge. and knowledge is a treasure

• Like 6

I think the big thing to watch out for is the belief that you need it now or someone else will get the nuggets that the other detectors missed. The good spots would of been tested by the tester anyway. The only thing that you might get is small, like the 400 odd nuggets in the photo below that I got on a trip a few years ago.

49729659227_c7a846d5d5_c.jpg.bcc6424bbda87d4be20bece08304e25e.jpg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Anyone remember these? Were they helpful? 

The outback prospector DVDs Jonathan Porter

Yes I have all those & yes they were helpful. I also have Chris Gholson's Nugget Hunting Essentials series of DVD's. Worth there weight in gold. The pair of them helped each other out in starting these.

G4G

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gold Hound said:

Hi Steve

For a number of years I posted in a couple of Australian forums, but after a while I got sick of defending myself and being accused of being a 'Minelab Man'........ snip

Even though I dont show my finds, comment or post much anymore, I still regularly visit to stay upto date with changes

And mores the loss for the rest of us. This is exactly what I’m taking about. Maybe I can help pry you back out of your shell also mate? People sometimes forget that the rough and gruff prospectors have feelings also. Or is it just jealousy? All I do know is a lot of people like you feel put upon enough that you go silent, and that truly is a shame, a genuine loss for the community. But still, I’m very happy to have you here under any circumstances, and thanks for piping up! :smile:

I sure get it though, as do JP and others. Sometimes the urge to walk away is overwhelming... and I think it’s healthy.

D1968CF4-C995-48D7-88FC-CC9E5296D2CD.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

And thank you. Was not sure where that was going, because I am a fanboy, but not in the way people might think. I am a fanboy of metal detecting and gold prospecting, and I think turning thousands of people on to it has been one of the better things I've done in life.

I did try too hard to cater to everyone here, when in fact all I have ever wanted to do is cater to people like me! :smile: I know what I want in a forum, and that's why I set this up, to get what I could not find elsewhere. I genuinely am a child at heart, and I really do like to play with toys. I've not an ill feeling towards anyone, but I do want only "my people" here. And my tent is pretty large really, because I'm not exactly normal myself, whatever that means. I just like people to be polite. Thanks for the kind word, and many happy thoughts in return.

Me in lower right.... :laugh:

A12FD8EA-6CF8-4368-8A7F-EBB885A83AB3.jpeg

Whew! until I saw this I was feeling a bit left out.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, klunker said:

Whew! until I saw this I was feeling a bit left out.

You are a gem Norm. I hope I can get you out from behind the humor smokescreen, to let loose of a little of that vast store of knowledge someday. But I get it. Like Jim Straight always said “Silence is GOLDen”, and what he meant by that was too many eyeballs watching. Best wishes to you and Scott for an awesome 2021. :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1