Seeking Alternative Machine For Underwater Hunting

Hey guys, it's been a while...hope you're all doing well!

I need your advice before making any decision to buy new equipment...

A great (and most favorite) part of my treasure hunting is underwater (salt water) for jewelry...Until recently, my main underwater detector was my Equinox 800 with really good results... but unfortunatelly, whatever safety measures I took or mods I made, I didn't avoid almost drowing of the control box. Thankfully I got it fixed, but no more Equinox for underwater use...can't risk a second drowing. 

Long story short, I also have a pretty nice Makro Pulsedive (small coil) which has produced some nice underwater gold rings, but I can tell that this small PI hasn't the power and sensitivity that Nox has, especially in small gold (chains & crusifix)...If somehow I could make the Pulsedive more sensitive in small gold, it's compact size would be all that I need while snorkeling...Its new larger 8'' coil could be a good option for some better depth and coverage, but unfortunatelly can't make it more small gold sensitive......The Nox instead, even in the very low weighted Beach 2 mode was far more sensitive in small gold than the Pulsedive and with great stability in salt water. 

So...what would you do? Underwater hunting is one of my favorite activities but what options do I have regarding a trully waterproof equipment for snorkeling depths (max 2-3m)?

I need something compact enough, with a descent small gold sensitivity in salty conditions and a real waterproof design for 2-3m snorkeling depths....Underwater trash/treasure ratio is pretty low in my areas so I don't mind a Pulse Induction machine with no iron etc discrimination.....but I'm looking for the most compact and budget friendly option here since I already have the Equinox for all my other hunts and don't wanna break the bank (Excalibur is an expensive option)....any thoughts?

• Like 4

I have the Pulse Dive pin pointer, I am not sure how effective it would be on gold chains especially thin ones as it generally isn't super sensitive to small stuff. Maybe that is different with the dive coils, that I can't say.

On the higher end the Excal is still a popular machine, next the TDI Beach Hunter if you can find one but that is a PI and may be a problem for ya in high trash and iron areas. The SeaHunter with the larger coil is a little less sensitive to smaller gold than the TDI and the smaller coil at 8" swings like a charm and little better on smaller stuff but also is shallower. Both the PI's lack discrimination so areas can make for a great day or a horrible one with trash levels.

I recently started to hit the beach with my Multi Kruzer. The stock coil is plenty sensitive for small gold and in beach mode 5khz is is very stable. I changed out my settings and took the 0-15 disc out segments (iron range) from the default setting and replaced it with notches. This allowed me to use the notch audio so i can make it quieter and still hear iron to keep track of whats below. There is a lot of flat iron in areas I hunt and this can sound really good if you only hear the higher end of the signal and missing the grunt. The MK can handle the salt here with very high gains settings >85 without any problems. I use a 12" coil on mine in the mid 90's without any real problems. I also have been able to run tracking on the beach mode with iSat lowered to 3 and tracks very well saving ground balancing as you go in and out of the water.

So without breaking the bank a used Multi Kruzer is a good option short of a diving machine.

A Simplex might be another option, I never used one so maybe someone could give a hollar on how it works in the salt.

The stock MK coil is a little tough to swing in the water as it has reinforcement ribs on it when compared to my SeaHunter.  Not sure how it compares to the Nox or others in that respect.

• Like 3

Yeah...Pulsedive is awesome for what it does, but even with the small dive coil which I have, not a chance in gold chains..even the mid-sized ones....not enough sensitivity to see them.

Excal is indeed popular but a little old...and also out of reach for my budget.

Now...regarding the rest, I don't mind to use a PI since underwater I dig everything anyway, and trash/treasure rate in my areas is very acceptable...so a Pulse Induction is very welcome as a proposal... In general, I think that I need either a PI, or a Multi VLF in order to handle the salty conditions....

Ps. I have to take a look at the detectors you mentioned (TDI Beach hunter, SeaHunter & especially the Multi Kruzer). For the Multi Kruzer I have already some thumbs up but still I'm a little puzzled if it can handle salty conditions like Equinox does...If I remember correctly, Multi Kruzer uses either 5/14/19Khz but not simultaneously...so at 5Khz will it be sensitive enough for small gold ??? (not talking about super tiny staff, just the average gold chain). (And this time I must be sure for the waterproofing...it must be much better than the Equinox)

Anyway, I'll have a look at them to see if something fits!

Thanks for the response! 

🙂

• Like 1

Having used both the Multi Kruzer and the Seahunter in the salt and on wet sand the Seahunter is quiet as a mouse, discrimination is minimal at best as I run it at around 2.5 to kick out some of the tiniest bits of rust and fish hooks. The MK stock settings in beach mode are ok but I found it much easier to follow the targets with my settings. I found the stock coil difficult to ground balance in the water because of the resistance. Running iSat on 3 (default is 1) gives great tracking in the wash and as the ground varies. By default Nokta says don't use tracking on their discrimination modes which is everything except gen mode. I found that not to be the case especially in beach mode and water hunting.

The key for me was swapping out discrimination with notches. Difference is I can control the volume on the notches and discrim there is just no audio. This is found under iron audio option and simply tab it over to the n#'s. I can still disc out the lowest if needed.

The Nox is probably quieter in the salt and quite a few use them for what your looking to do.

For depth the stock 8" coil on the sea hunter will maybe edge out the stock MK coil. The stock MK will do much better on small gold and targets than most machines. 7x11 coil is very sensitive.

Depth of your diving is another factor, SH is good to 200ft and has near 0 boyancy and also has a short diving shaft option included as well as a hip mount. Stock 8" coil handles awesome in the water.

MK is just ip68 so it is 16'. The standard shaft might be too long and clumsy for diving but find for wading.

When you say dig everything you will find out how the tinyest iron hits loud and how many targets there are going to a PI from an VLF. Just a heads up if you never used a pi before.

• Like 3

Did a quick test on a stretched out gold chain 5g.

SH with discim on anything loses it on both the stock 8" coil and 10x14".

With disc off the SH will hit the chain at 2-3" with 8" coil and 1-2" with the 10x14.

The MK in my beach mode settings 0-15 notched and gain at 95 will pick up the chain easily with an above iron signal at 4-5" with the 12" superfly. It should do better with the smaller stock 7x11 coil as the stock coil is bit more sensitive.

Of course I did a test with the Gold Racer and it hit it past the 6" mark no issues.

Nox might be better on tiny gold in the salt as it should give you more stable numbers and being multi freq.

• Like 2

Very informative....many thanks! 

Overall, I hear you very carefully regarding discrimination...Indeed, the only PI type detector I have ever used is the small Pulsedive I mentioned, so I have really no true experience in PIs but I thought I could handle it underwater...But, if a PI is so much sensitive to tiny iron to drive me mad with no disc, then I may have to reconsider my options (sea hunter has disc?). Regardless, Garret Seahunter Mark II is well proven for underwater use (as I also read in many reviews), and its price is awesome for my budget...

- Multi Kruzer is also not extremmely expensive so it could be an option..., nice features incl discrimination, nice reviews overall, but I'm afraid if IP68 rating gonna be enough for snorkelling depths...Equinox was also IP68 but MANY drowned them (incl me)...don't wanna make the same mistake again! 

pfff.....my options are more complicated that I thought....thanks again for your informative responses!

Interesting results......so the Multi Kruzer picks up the chain in the 5khz Beach Mode?

Then, If it can also handle salty underwater conditions and remainss stable, it could be a very good option.....but I have to double-triple check some reviews regarding its waterproofing true capabilities at 2-3m depths...

ps. Edited my previous post regarding SH specs...I thought it didn't have disc

I'm watching some youtube reviews on the Multi Kruzer right now and as you confirm it can pick thin gold chains even in deep saltwater and even stretched out, and it seems pretty stable too in beach mode... 

...However I have to check if it's trully waterproof to decide if it's a good candidate for my needs

• Like 1

Gonna take some sleep for now (it's 02:40 in Greece :p)....but thanks again for helping me out....I will definetelly check the Multi Kruzer (which in fact, after re-reading your posts, you run it the same way I'm running my Nox...fully open - no disc, and only using "audio" discrimination with lower volume for the unwanted notches). For now, it seems to fulfill my needs...if its trully waterproof at 2/3m then maybe it's the winner combination I'm searching for and not too expensive also...

Thanks mate

• Like 1

Hey Argyris,

Where you been man!! Haven't seen a post from you in some time, but glad your back! 

I understand your frustration with the Nox! Ive been through two pod failures, and three coil tab failures! But still and all, a great land and very shallow water detector!

I think Kac has laid it out nicely for you (and me) for an alternative water detector that doesn't break the bank!

Don't be a stranger!! I want to hear what you pick, and how it does for you!

Good Luck!! Get some sleep!!👍👍 

• Like 2