Seeking Alternative Machine For Underwater Hunting

7 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

I have another item that i bought some time ago off of ebay! But i can't find them anymore! Its a silicone cover and battery plug for the nox! Thr only problem with it is you cannot see the screen through the white silicone! But it does make the pod waterproof!👍👍

Yes Joe, I remember that you mentioned something similar in the past...I have kept the original thread of yours: 

Thank! Couldn't find the original post, and wasn't sure if i had sent it to you!👍👍

• Like 1

Hahaha🤣 I'm out of likes!!

I always thought a silicone glove would work in shallow water, but haven't tried it!👍👍 

• Like 1

"Equinox Condom...better safe than sorry..." 😆😆😆

(in fact, is not such a bad idea....if we just insulate the battery cover eg with removable silicon, then the "condom" option could work...? hmmm.....But again...we have the cables.....not good...)

Anyway, I'll think seriously of the watertight box solution to see what can be done.

Thanks for the nice conversation guys! ❤️

• Haha 1

ps to Joe: if I remember correctly, you also own a Pulsedive with the larger 8'' coil.....such a great little PI for snorkelling....small, ergonomic, instant target recovery, easy, "stealthy"... and very "ring/coin" capable so far...if we could just make it a liiiiittle more sensitive to detect at least the medium-larger sized chains/crussifix etc (eg with shorter pulse delay but not so much to react to salt) it could be a really nice option for snorkelling fun.....but unfortunattely can't happen...and without iron rejection could be also a nightmare to chase tiny iron bits....anyway...just thinking out loud here.

Enough said, I have to stop posting and reposting... have a nice day everyone! 🙂

• Like 1

The Deus/Orx are nice being wireless to waterproof but you need the extra cable closer to the box for the coil to work. I have the waterproof kit for my Orx and a waterproof smart phone case for it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Joe D. said:

I have another item that i bought some time ago off of ebay! But i can't find them anymore! Its a silicone cover and battery plug for the nox! The only problem with it is you cannot see the screen through the white silicone! But it does make the pod waterproof!👍👍

20200709_221654.jpg

20200709_221602.jpg

I read somewhere that this silicon cover you put on the display making the detector warm inside and it damage the unit,don't know if t was a bull or right??

21 hours ago, PPP said:

I read somewhere that this silicon cover you put on the display making the detector warm inside and it damage the unit,don't know if t was a bull or right??

In general, having the detector seating under high temperatures and direct hot sunlight (beach) and then suddenly expose it to lower temperatures (water) is not good...

The sudden temperature change could cause something like a vacuum inside the control box which tends to "suck" water inside if it finds even a tiny passage. Furthermore, the sudden contraction-expansion of the housing due to the temperature changes may also weaken the waterproofing and seals. Having a silicon cover in such hot conditions will just worsen these effects to a degree...

In any case, I don't believe that a simple silicon cover can be so well fitted to the box to be able to watertight it further anyway, and can't watertight the battery compartment also. Maybe a "heat shrink" polycarbonate bag would do a better job but the plugs would be still a problem.

The "watertigth enclosure box" that we're talking about some posts ago seems like an effective modification, but even if it works, it will require many conversions for the plugs, charging, mounting etc, and will also make the box very bulky which will worsen the underwater ergonomics and compactness of the machine, and will also cancel the settings adjustment ability while underwater.

If you inspect the housing and sealing of a Multi Kruzer vs Equinox for example (equal price tag, same IP rating), you will immediately see how better the MK design is regarding underwater use in shallow depths...it's built like a tank and with far less possible water passages (eg, battery is inside and not in the exposed to the shaft handle with just a paper breathing filter cap, speaker sits in its own extra watertight compartment etc) and as a plus, MK is extremely easy to open the box (it's not molded, has screws & orings in the perimeter) so you can immediately ispect the electronics if needed and service the housing after some underwater sessions (something that all underwater equipment needs anyway). Haven't heard of a single one MK drown yet, and I'm already considering selling the Nox and buy myself a MK as a do it all machine...even if it's not multi simultaneously freq. Afterall, we bought a machine rated as underwater (shallow) capable so we shouldn't have such issues to discuss and multiple drowning reports from the start...Nox is excellent, but not for underwater use and advertising it as such was unfortunate...good to have such a nice guarantee, but better to have equipment that wont need a guarantee.

That's my 2c

• Like 1

Just a note: the silicone cover came with a silicone battery plug, and seals for the three openings! And because it's form fitting, there are no air pockets to draw in water! Sudden thermal changes could be an issue, if there was any moisture inside the case! But as far as heat buildup, as long as it was only used in the water, that would not be an issue IMO!

But you, me, and thousands of Nox users are correct about wanting the waterproofness promised for the unit; and solid coil tabs! But as Steve has said, they will never acknowledge defects! They will just quietly improve the flaws on the next iteration! (hopefully)!👍👍

• Like 1