Seeking Alternative Machine For Underwater Hunting

Argyris...did you end up buying a Sea Hunter Mark II?  I have used a friend's for 2 summers.  He only uses his on winter tropical diving trips.  I had great luck with it on freshwater beaches.  Unfortunately, he has relocated for work because of COVID and I'm now in the market for an underwater detector.  A SH is on the top of my list, since I know it and it's good to 200'.  I've been diving since I was 11 and many of the finds I made with the borrowed SH were with scuba.  All were above 15' however.  Another detector I'm considering is the Gold Kruzer.  It's got wireless waterproof headphones included and it operates at a very high frequency, so it could really pick up the small stuff.   Downside, it's only waterproof to 15'.  I wonder if anyone out there has used it in shallow diving situations and could give us some feedback.  Also any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I've used the Gold Kruzer only lake hunting out to my chin. I haven't seen anyone post about it leaking on the Kruzers/Anfibio. I'm impressed with it's depth and it likes gold. It won't match a PI for depth though. The Gold Kruzer is a sensitive chatty detector and will find tiny targets. I had to turn sensitivity down to 80. It is an impressive detector for what it's made for. 

If You are sure to stay in the shallows for snorkeling, then a Kruzer Will do the job with a little expence.

On the other hand, when you're ready and comfortable for a scuba session, forget about those Land/water machines and trust old projects like an Excal or a Mark2.

Trust me, cause I recently drowned a TDI BeachHunter in less than 3meters down.

Even if I modified It, that machine Is Just a little more industrial experiment to close a TDI board in a so-called waterproof case.

After ten dives, Is done.

• Like 1

Finally had a chance to try my 600 at the beach and the Sea Hunter.

Constantly worried about breaking the Nox still under warranty, overheated the screen with housing cover - check....  Felt like I was going to snap the shaft or coil in the water.   Went back to the sand.  

Sea Hunter I bought used, no warranty, not worried about anything, no issues. Thing is a tank and simple. Yeah, digging up more iron and deep stuff but still dug the coins and other junk the Nox did.  Also still made, Garrett will send you o-rings and little parts for free even if you offer to purchase, will repair them.  That is probably a benefit if in the states where shipping is not a huge burden. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the responses.  BTW there was a typo in my last post. It should have read "I have used a friend's for 4 summers" not 2. referring to the Mark II loaner I used.

Skullgold...I think you are probably right.  Best to stick with detectors designed for scuba use, but that still leaves me wondering what detector would be better for small stuff.  I do have some experience marine scuba detecting.  I don't find the density of targets in salt water that I see in freshwater and don't really see the need for a small target detector there though.

Rick...I guess if I end up with a GK I will have to use it in water that's not much over my head.  Over half my targets have been in less than 10' of water anyway.

• 1 month later...

Another option is the Fisher 1280x Aquanaut. It is submersible to over 200 feet and well built, similar to the SH. Come with waterproof headphones and has discrimination, so no need to dig all iron trash. It is very well priced. Not a Nox but it won’t drown at real depth. 

9468C8D0-B317-4521-AD62-8BB22587A8FB.thumb.jpeg.3a0e9276f4f56e08d53d3204e3636f8a.jpeg

1280x is a good detector for gold rings. It's a low frequency and not sensitive to small gold but will do good on rings. It can be hip mounted also.

I just did a test with the Gold Kruzer w/ 5x9.5dd coil. The max depth in sand on a gold ring is 9". Equinox goes a lot deeper but when I can get out I'm taking the Gold Kruzer out next. For some reason I've found more gold with the Gold Kruzer. Just luck I would say though.

• Like 1

1280 can be chatty in the saltwater as it’s a single frequency. I had one years ago and I didn’t keep it long……freshwater is where it does well. 

• Like 1