Seeking Alternative Machine For Underwater Hunting

In the water I preferr my seahunter if there is little iron trash like hooks, nails, bottle caps etc. Discrimination on the SH is minimal as it uses pulse delay to ignore trash but iron rings so loud on it that it often bypasses the discrimination no matter what. Example is I cannot trim out a deck screw without losing coins. At disc 3 it is close to losing a nickel. With that being said it is pretty much a dig all machine.

Freshwater hunting in ponds I like my AT Pro or Sea Hunter depending on trash over the Multi Kruzer.

I like the Multi Kruzer with 12" coil on dry and wet sand over the other 2.

In the surf I like the SH.

Reasonably I don't think your going to pick up small chains at any depth with any machine as they are so close to the foil range and so close to the salt itself.

The SH is a fun machine and super simple to use.

• Like 2

I’ve not yet snorkeled with my Seahunter but I have used in sand and shallow water. No discrimination, just set a threahold and go. 

It picks up the tiniest targets like earrings and pieces of staples. I suspect in the water with less trash density it would be a nice machine. Built like a tank, has a shorter shaft and different positions for the box for “scuba mode”.  I’m sure way more depth than the Pulsedive.  Also the larger coil option for more coverage and depth. 

In US I think they are like $600 new with a warranty from Garrett. This is a out same as an Equinox 600.  You can find used for $300-400 or so. One watch out I did learn about the hard way is the headphones. The cord can dry rot over time and just disintegrate but they are easily replaceable and only $85 or so. The coil is also easily replaceable/swapable without sending the machine or disassembling like many underwater machines such as Beachhunter, Sandshark, and Excal. 

Anyway, I hope to snorkel with mine someday and will not be submerging my Equinox for extended periods of time as it seems much more fragile. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Hey Argyris,

Where you been man!! Haven't seen a post from you in some time, but glad your back! 

I understand your frustration with the Nox! Ive been through two pod failures, and three coil tab failures! But still and all, a great land and very shallow water detector!

I think Kac has laid it out nicely for you (and me) for an alternative water detector that doesn't break the bank!

Don't be a stranger!! I want to hear what you pick, and how it does for you!

Good Luck!! Get some sleep!!👍👍 

Hey Joe, glad to hear from you again my friend! Indeed, it's been a while since my last activity in the forum, but this year is killing me man (lost my job due to this Corona virus joke, broke up with my gf, a total mesh overall...). Anyway, I'm still trying to find my steps again but I'm slowly reactivating myself to my favorite hobbies....hope this nightmare will end soon for all of us..!

• Like 1

Kac & nickeldNdimed many thanks to both of you....I read very carefully your sugestions regarding both machines.

I made a quick comparative table between the two, to help me decide which would be better for snorkelling.

Based on this, I think that Garrett's Seahunter Mark II is closer to my needs...real scuba capabilities, enough sensitivity for small gold underwater, very easy to use, scuba friendly setup (short shaft, box can be hip mounted), includes scuba headphones, excellent salt handling. Furthermore, since I already have a multi vlf (Equinox), I think it would be wiser to also have a Pulse Induction machine vs just another vlf in my arsenal...

Overall, seahunter seems a really good and very affordable choice with only two key-points to consider before i make my mind:

- Practically, I understand that it cannot be used in discrimination mode since it will also cancel small targets of interest (as Kac pointed out), so it will be a "dig it all" machine. Most underwater areas seem to have a very good trash/treasure ratio so far (based on my Equinox experience), so this may be not a problem at all... HOWEVER I have to state that I have never used such a PI machine, so I'm not aware of its power/sensitivity vs Equinox sensitivity in super tiny junk...based on my experience with Equinox in Beach 2 mode, sens at 17 & full open (could hear iron at lower volume), underwater iron was not so much...BUT, if you believe that a PI such as the Seahunter is way much more sensitive than Equinox, then please warn me before I'll go insane chasing micro sized iron. If it's like Equinox, it will be really fine in my areas.

*In either case, if there is any other real scuba detector for 2-m depths to recommend, in the same price range, which also has a descent iron discrimination and yet sensitive to small gold, I'm all ears! 🙂

- Its Ground Balance is preset....so non adjustable. Question is, will it handle black sand and/or hot rocks or it will go crazy if there is any black sand underwater? If it's still ok  in black sand or there are ways to make it run steady there, then not a problem. My beaches are medium mineralized anyway...equinox didn't have any problem there.

Seahunter vs Multi Kruzer.png

• Like 3

Yes wltdwiz thank you, it's one of my options as discussed in this thread and I'm already considering it as an alternative as you can see above....but my main concern is, is it real waterproof or is it like Equinox???? Multi Kruzer is IP68...same as Equinox....and many MANY Equinox drown (including mine)....So is Multi Kruzer tested to be real watertight in snorkelling depths or it will eventually fail like Equinox does?

Bottom line: I don't wanna make the same mistake again and buy another machine that will drown while snorkelling like Equinox did.....in my eyes and whatever marketing says, an IP68 is not a real submersible device for continious underwater use, even at very small depths...but this is my opinion so correct me if I'm wrong.

You would need to add another $110 to the price of the Kruzer or Simplex for the waterproof headphones.

IP68 is good for 16' which is more than enough for majority of hunting. They are truely waterproof but not for extreme depths. I have run my AT Pro and MK for hours and hours at a time fully submerged without problems. The MK is a more effective (more options machine) than the AT Pro more because it is newer but my personal preference was how they handle in the water. I found the tapered control box of the Garrett easier to move around in the water vs a flat control box.

The 14khz Kruzer does handle salt similar to the Multi Kruzer but yes the 5 khz is better, just a little quieter and slightly deeper if your saving grains of sand.

Typically the lower priced PI machines tend to have a lower pulse delay and this makes them a less sensitive when compared to much pricier machines.

I think bang for the buck the SH is a nice machine, I use mine for more beach combing and shallow water hunting. I even snagged a new pole that I am retrofitting for that purpose that is little lighter and will mount the box under the arm and slightly forward to give a near perfect balance. Diving you may want to mount it after the grip.

I had used the hip mount that is very comfortable but noticed a slight variation in the threshold when swinging which might be from the coil wire not being static.

If you do get the SH, always check the battery box seal. Get some silicone grease or petroleum jelly and make sure the o-ring isn't dry. I also put  a small dab on the threads to make it easier to open and close. Don't over tighten or it may get stuck or crack. Only keeping water out not people 🙂

I use rechargable lipo aa's, will run ya about $40 and give you a couple solid days digging. Regular batteries will get ya around 15 hours tops.

While you got your swim fins on there are portable surface air supplies like the Hookah and Nemo that you may like. Give you more time below.

• Like 3

For best waterproof detectors you need one rated to 200' to 250' like the CZ21, Excalibur, Detectorpro Underwater and PI's that have that rating. There are not many that I know of that are rated to 200'. I like that those detectors can be hip mounted and the Detectorpro Underwater is all in the headphones. The rest of the waterproof detectors are IP68. The Kruzer's, Simplex and Anfibio are very well built and I haven't heard of one leaking.

• Like 4

Thanks guys, indeed no matter how many searches I tried, I didn't find any leaking issues reported for Multi Kruzers....That was my main concern and fear, so I assume that they must have way better waterproofing than the Equinox which has numerous drown reports....

Afterall, snorkelling is all about 2 to 3m max, with most of it at even shallower chest level depths so I don't need a 200' (and expensive) rated machine.

Anyway, I'll read as much as I can before any decision, but both machines mentioned are good options. Seahunter is way cheaper and well proven to do the job. On the other hand, Multi Kruzer will need underwater headphones so total cost will be higher, but it's much more versatile and discrimination may prove a huge plus, even in my clean underwater areas. 

Don't wanna stretch this thread more since I already have some good advice and options.

Thanks again 🙂

• Like 1

Argyris,

Sorry about the job loss! But you know the old saying "When one door closes, another one opens"!  Not as sorry about the girlfriend!😂  You have to catch a few fish, before you catch the one you want! If i had it to do over again, i think i would be looking for a cute detecting/history/archeology/outdoor type girl to hang with! There's got to be a few detecting clubs near you to find a few!!🤣

Anyway, keep us posted! Don't disappear this time! I want to see how a new detector works out!

Good luck with all life's curveballs!!👍👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1