Seeking Alternative Machine For Underwater Hunting

I'm not a water hunter, so I'll limit my suggestion to this:
If you have engineering skills, you could re-house the Eqx control pod in a watertight housing, then chest-mount it, and use a custom rod/shaft for the coil,( I suggest using the 6" ).

• Like 2

Pimento thanks, in fact just today I discovered the Sea Ghost housing solution that maybe you're aware off... a complete new waterproof housing for the electronics etc.... However, the modification requires sending the unit to Ukraine to get it fixed, and also total modification cost must be high...I guess >200€

I am a mechanical engineer so I really trying to think of a similar DIY solution to make myself...I believe that even an "open/close" waterproof box (without any buttons or original control box modifications) could be a solution, since I could have my settings already preadjusted before going in the water and no need for further adjustments while snorkelling... The think is that 1) I have to find or somehow make a suitable sized box,  2) to pass & re-screw the coil's & headphone's sockets ον the box in a watertight way...and 3) to put the battery also inside the box (that's the easy part)*

*I understand that the Sea Ghost solution is really nice since it has the screen and all controls & electronics reconnected to the box itself, but I wouldn't dare to try such a total mod myself in my control box... many electronics will need mods and I don't have the knowledge to do it

ps. Regarding the shaft, yes...I have already modified a second one in order to be shorter for underwater use, and I also use the smaller 6'' coil a lot

ps#2: If you have in mind any affordable watertight housing that I could buy and easily modify for the cables, I'm all ears! But it has to be something like some underwater cameras use...easy to open to adjust settings before going underwater, for battery charging etc, and easy to close with o-ring in the perimeter to waterproof it..I'm thinking out loud here...maybe is much more complicated than that, but maybe not...have to think about it...

Thanks again! 🙂

"I believe that even an "open/close" waterproof box (without any buttons or original control box modifications) could be a solution, since I could have my settings already preadjusted before going in the water and no need for further adjustments while snorkelling"

Yes, that was what I was thinking of.

"The thing is that:
 1) I have to find or somehow make a suitable sized box"

You will be needing an IP68 rated enclosure, there is more than one type, so you should read up about the IP rating , some are rated for one hour, some for continuous submersion.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/enclosures-server-racks/enclosures/general-purpose-enclosures/?applied-dimensions=4294885296,4294847133

https://uk.farnell.com/w/c/enclosures-racks-cabinets/enclosures-boxes-cases/plastic-enclosures?ip-rating=ip68

https://www.bopla.de/en/enclosure-technology/product/bocube.html

"2) I need to pass & re-screw the coil's & headphone's sockets οut of the box in a watertight way"

You will need to make a short coil extension cable, such as a 90 degree free socket to plug into the Eqx, and a chassis-mounted plug on the case. I can help you sort out the connections, wiring etc. The headphone connection is easier. Any old stereo 3.5mm plug to fit the Eqx, and your choice of 3 or more pin waterproof connector on the case. ( I suggest more than 3 pins, it gives you options )

"3) to put the battery also inside the box"

??
Unless you were wanting an additional USB power bank inside, for when your Eqx battery dies ?
Or a seperate battery to power a bright 'locator' LED ? Or a flashlight on the coil shaft?

• Like 1

Thanks for the info my friend....seems like a great idea to think of, since I already have a capable detector and the only problem is the better waterproofing of the control box...should save me a lot of money if I could make it work safelly underwater.

Just to be sure that I completelly understand the whole idea (and to answer to the battery question)...

1) the original Equinox' control box has its battery inside the handle...and the handle is molded with the control box at its base. I assume that the modification we're talking about is putting the equinox control box as is with no further mods (=without exposing the inner electronics, screen etc) in an external "open/close" waterproof enclosure like the ones you linked, but without the handle...right? So we have to cut and discard the handle part at the base point, which leaves us with only the square control box to put inside the new watertight enclosure. So if that's the case, we must also put the battery inside the encolure...that's what I meant. Another option is to leave the handle connected to the control box as is, but then we'll have to adjust and connect the waterproof enclosure around the handle's cylindrical base also in a watertight way...don't need to do so I believe..

2) regarding the coil & headphones connections: if I understand right, the new waterproof enclosure will have 2 permanent outer attached chassis-mounted plugs for the external connection of the coil and the headphones cables. These chassis-mounted plugs will be glued watertight on the enclosure, and further connected internally to the control box with 2 short extension cables to the original control box plugs...Am I right?

3) practically, if all works, we'll finally have the original equinox control box unmodified inside the new watertight enclosure: We'll just have to open the enclosure to make our settings before diving, then close the enclosure, connect the coil & headphones in its external plugs and go hunting...Same when he want to charge the battery...open the enclosure and charge via the original control box' magnetic charger. The enclosure can be either mounted on the shaft somehow or we can simply chest/waist mount it...

4) Do you think that the increased working temperature of the control box will create any condensation or blur problems inside?

"1) the original Equinox' control box has its battery inside the handle...and the handle is molded with the control box at its base. I assume that the modification we're talking about is putting the Equinox control box  in an external "open/close" waterproof enclosure like the ones you linked"

Correct.

"...  but without the handle...right?"

No.o.o..o...o.....o......o

The control pod stays complete. Just unbolt the 4 bolts securing the lower clamp part, and you're done.
For compactness, you could use it without the lower clamp. Or you could obtain a short length of 7/8" tube ( old detector; hospital crutch ) drill a 9.1mm hole in it, and clamp the handle to it. You will observe the tube presses on the battery-cover, helping secure it, so it's probably better to do this than rely on the tiny screw alone to retain the battery.

"2) regarding the coil & headphones connections: snippety-snip....Am I right?"

Yes.

I don't see any temperature issues. But you need to watch the water and humidity. I presume silica gel dessicant is one solution, there's probably plenty of alternative products, it's not something I have much knowledge of.

• Like 1

I think all water hunters that have an Equinox want to see this.

You would have a product you could make and sell.

I hip mounted my Equinox 800 all last summer. Very nice swinging in the water that way. I would be on that list that wants one.

• Like 1

I have another item that i bought some time ago off of ebay! But i can't find them anymore! Its a silicone cover and battery plug for the nox! The only problem with it is you cannot see the screen through the white silicone! But it does make the pod waterproof!👍👍

20200709_221654.jpg

20200709_221602.jpg

• Like 1

Not so optimistic that I (we) could advance this into a full specs product, but maybe worth a try at least for anyone who wish to satisfy the underwater need since is a pretty easy solution as descibed by Pimento above (thanks again mate!).

Just to remind you, something similar has already hit the market in the past (search for "Sea Ghost Housing") but unfortunatelly requires sending the original unit abroad (I think in Ucraine) since it is a much more advance modification (a complete new housing, electronics relocation etc.)

In any case, If I decide to give it a try, I'll keep everyone posted 🙂