3-day Franconia Hunt

Way to go Lunk, you did well and looks like fun. Do you always swing your big gun when gunning for meteorites? Thanks for sharing looks beautiful out there. ht 👍

• Like 1

Thanks Ht, It depends on the type of meteorite I'm going after, as well as the type of ground they're in. The Zed is superb at finding irons and the H and L type chondrites in difficult ground. VLF detectors are the go when trying to locate LL type stones, and are perfectly capable of detecting all of the above in benign ground.

• Like 2

Franconia is a very special place in the strewn field.  You can tell some areas have baked and baked under the hot sun for thousands of years undisturbed.  That is what you get by just walking around the place.

When you want to get the meteorites it has been depleted by many numerous detectorists.  I've know of some that have gridded very large areas and placed all of their finds on GPS with some of them shared for the master map and many, many including my finds that were not shared.

We'll never get them all so it is right up there with Gold Basin for me if I want to find a meteorite.

Thanks Lunk for the memories.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lunk said:

Thanks Ht, It depends on the type of meteorite I'm going after, as well as the type of ground they're in. The Zed is superb at finding irons and the H and L type chondrites in difficult ground. VLF detectors are the go when trying to locate LL type stones, and are perfectly capable of detecting all of the above in benign ground.

I was planning to go back there soon, glad to see you found such nice pieces.

I was considering just taking a Gold Monster for the long hikes though, but maybe the Zed would be better?  I don’t mind swinging it on long hikes at all, just thought the VLF would do better there. Was most of the area requiring difficult ground setting?

• Like 1

GotAU, the south side of I-40 is relatively mild ground, but the north side is very difficult ground with lots of hot rocks. The PI & ZVT tech excel in that environment, but I have used the Gold Monster successfully, as detailed here:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/3604-a-monster-month/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lunk said:

GotAU, the south side of I-40 is relatively mild ground, but the north side is very difficult ground with lots of hot rocks. The PI & ZVT tech excel in that environment, but I have used the Gold Monster successfully, as detailed here:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/3604-a-monster-month/

Hi Lunk,

Wow, I didn’t realize you had so much previous experience, and written posts, about using the gold monster for detecting meteorites.  That was one of the primary reasons why I bought the machine, besides using it for gold, when I was searching for a first detector.  I appreciate your input,  and effort in those previous posts, those are great articles.  Thank you!

• Like 1