3-day Franconia Hunt

Super finds Lunk, I would be happy with just one of those. After 14 inches of snow yesterday and another 15 to 20 coming. I can't wait till November, To come out and hunt with you. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Johnny Crunch said:

Thanks for putting this up! The text and the pictures are entertaining and informative. Looks like quite a variety of rock types on the surface. Are they predominantly of volcanic/igneous origin in that area?

Yes, it's all volcanic material.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lunk said:

Yes, it's all volcanic material.

But that’s not all there is! Try using a mineral UV light out there at night sometime, some amazing minerals can also be found there including chalcedony, calcite among others. These are a few of the ones I brought home from Franconia in natural and under UV mineral light:

14EC655C-90EF-472C-8FED-CB8F30A4FF26.jpeg

8CB104B0-928C-4685-B4F1-4564ED1F4EC9.jpeg

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, HotSauce said:

Wow that is so cool, if I lived in Arizona I'd be hunting both gold and meteorites. But all we have is gold in California....and those are getting hard to come by. Thanks for sharing your cool weekend. 

There are several meteorite strewn fields with good collecting in California, but that’s another topic: 

Franconia  is just really well known for it’s size and extent of strewn fields, And is even known for offering a little bit of gold in addition to some other amazing minerals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Plus, Franconia is just a beautiful place!

F7F332AB-8591-43F0-B179-BDE57D7E51F2.jpeg

E933A69C-CDFD-482C-AA2C-62C0D6ECCD32.jpeg

• Like 5