Equinox Fe Settings Poll

Equinox Fe Poll  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the Fe setting, F2 setting, both, or none? Follow up posts explaining your poll vote will provide important information. I'd ask people make a little extra effort on this one. Thanks.

• I use the Fe settings exclusively
    • I use the F2 settings exclusively
    • I use both settings depending on the situation (please explain below)
    • I use whatever the default settings are for each mode

17 hours ago, midalake said:

SO TODAY.  I switched from FE-6 to F2-6 for the last hour.  I did not see any real difference in operating.  It almost seemed F2 let the peso coins wrap around a little more.  I will flip back and fourth more this week including on some more non-ferrous hits and see what happens.  

Since F2 has a wider range, switching from FE-6 to F2-6 only raised the Iron Bias by a very slight margin. I wouldn't expect there to be any noticeable change.

The difference between FE and F2 is that F2 allows you to go beyond the range of FE in both directions, higher and lower. There is really no logical reason to stay with FE.

FE had a limited range.  F2 corrected that.

I use the Fe2 setting

if I am hunting around old houses or a park my typical settings will start with:

Park 1

Fe2 = 2

Recovery = 4

Sensitivity = max or as close to max without instability 

noise cancel / cell phone off

these settings provide the best separation, unmasking and depth.  If the ground is wet / saturated, these settings will usually result in recovering a lot of deep rusty nails, bent nails and pieces of nails, rusty bits of iron.  If this occurs, I will modify my settings to:

Park 1

Fe2 = 4

Recovery = 6

Sensitivity = max or a close to max without instability.

noise cancel / cell phone off.

Rich 

After using ML FBS machines for so many years, F2-0 IM feels like an old friend to me.    I’m finding difficult, elusive oldies in all my normal hunt sites (mostly parks/schools), while only digging minimal iron.  I feel like I’m not missing any deep non-ferrous targets while in F2-0. I’m sure glad this IM filter was added to the Equinox.

• Like 1

When I first got my 600 I ran the FE at 0 after experimenting with it.  Since the F2 option came out I’ve switched to running F2 of 0 and haven’t switched since. 50 tones and low recovery speed really gives an intelligible sound to commingled targets, once you get used to it anyway. 

• Like 1

Some folks are wondering what this poll is about. If I had to guess, I'd guess there is an update coming and ML needs extra memory space to accomodate new code so they are trying to find out if it's safe for them to dump FE in favor of FE2 to make more space, which would probably have something to do with the new Coiltek coils. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

45 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Some folks are wondering what this poll is about. If I had to guess, I'd guess there is an update coming and ML needs extra memory space to accomodate new code so they are trying to find out if it's safe for them to dump FE in favor of FE2 to make more space, which would probably have something to do with the new Coiltek coils. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I don't think ML has any influence over what is posted on this site. 

Do you think ML would ask Steve to do a poll, then order him to not tell anyone that the information from the poll is for ML?

On 2/4/2021 at 6:10 AM, Badger-NH said:

The difference between FE and F2 is that F2 allows you to go beyond the range of FE in both directions, higher and lower. There is really no logical reason to stay with FE.

FE had a limited range.  F2 corrected that.

Well I don't know???/  It seems there are many here that think FE-2 has some magical sauce?  So I ran both FE's yesterday in 6 and checked some more ferrous and non ferrous targets.  Seems like at the beach there is no difference right now. I will keep toggling back and forth for a few more days.  

27 minutes ago, midalake said:

Well I don't know???/  It seems there are many here that think FE-2 has some magical sauce?  So I ran both FE's yesterday in 6 and checked some more ferrous and non ferrous targets.  Seems like at the beach there is no difference right now. I will keep toggling back and forth for a few more days.  

What Badger is saying is that F2 6 is not the same as FE 6 but they are close in magnitude (strength) although other aspects of the two filters may be different.

This is another way to look at it:

image.png.bd9525263ceb925ca963b769b9ca4b7b.png

Steve explains further here.

Steve did some testing here.

Big takeaways for me:

• F2 has greater range of adjustability than FE.
  • FE=0 does not "turn off" iron bias it minimizes the filter in Multi IQ.  Similarly, I suspect that F2=0 does not completely remove iron bias but the effect of the iron bias filter is less in F2=0 vs  FE=0, so for you purists out there that want to minimize IB filtering in multi, you are better off switching to F2=0.  Only single frequency operation truly completely removes iron bias.
  • Iron bias (either FE or F2) does not appear to noticeably affect depth performance.
  • FE appears to really counter recovery speed which means it is more susceptible to making non-ferrous targets adjacent to ferrous targets sound ferrous.  In other words, it is more subject to masking. F2 seems to have much less propensity to doing this.  What really may be happening is the FE filter is either less efficient (meaning it takes more processing power than F2) or it is a "slow" filter- either way, higher FE settings appear to make the detector less able to recover than lower settings, hence more masking.  F2 seems to recover quickly even at high settings.
  • Bottom line:  I use F2 exclusively, and keep F2 at the ML provided default setting of 6 and sometimes adjust it down to 4.

• Like 3

Iron Bias FE is ... it's a pretty coarse iron damping filter ... and it's pretty imperfect ...

F2 .... is more optimized and does not interfere as much with the 2D a 3D separation properties of Equinox ... and is more effective on bottlecap .. than the FE setting...

F2 is, in my opinion, the result of the development of the Iron bias setting in Vanquish ...- which has Iron bias very effective in eliminating Bottlecap...

• Like 2

I keep forgetting that Iron Bias only works in Multi.

That's why nothing happens when I try to adjust it in the single frequencies. I need to write that on a piece of masking tape and stick it to the machine so I don't forget.

I don't use Multi much. The single frequencies get considerably more depth in my mild soil.

I still keep it at 0 most of the time, so even those times when I do use Multi, I don't recall ever digging so much iron that I felt like raising it.