Equinox Wireless Technology Poll

Equinox Wireless Poll  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the Equinox Bluetooth, the WM08 module, both, or none? Follow up posts explaining your vote will provide important information. I'd ask people make a little extra effort on this one. Please pick one of the first five options, and one of the last two if appropriate. Thanks.

• I use the Bluetooth exclusively
    • I use the WM08 module exclusively
    • I use both depending on the situation (please explain below)
    • I prefer to use the built in speaker
    • I prefer wired headphones
    • When I use the WM08, I do so mainly for faster responses
    • When I use the WM08, I do so mainly to make wired headphones wireless

With my first Nox, (Traded to Gerry👍) i tried all combinations! But i mainly settled into using the WM08 module with waterproof earbuds, or light weight XP earphones, due to the heat here!

My next Nox was used, and only came with pod, shaft, and coil! So i used the above directly to the detector with a curley extension!

Recently got a Vanquish (Yours!👍) that has the ML80's, so i now can use for both units! But i am not a big fan of the them, (some hearing loss on my part) and may upgrade sometime in the future to a more noise cancelling set for the loud, and rough surf days!👍👍

I use the module pretty much exclusively.

Even though my Trond headphones are bluetooth, I like the sound from the module better. On the occasions when I don't need better sound I might go with Bluetooth, but that isn't very often. I usually keep the module in the vest pocket of my jacket so it's easy to use and I don't mind the wire.

I find the stock bluetooth headphones comfortable and effective. I found no reason to change.

I use both.

I prefer the use of the bluetooth Minelab earphones (comfort and lightweight). But when it's hot in summer I use the WM08 with lightweight XP wired earphones.

• Like 1

I use the ml80 headphones.  They fit well, block out the majority of unwanted noise and are pretty durable.  Nothing’s broken on them, but outer layer of the earmuffs is delaminating and peeling off in places.  This after almost 3 years of use.  I think they sound good to me. I recently bought an aftermarket aptx ll pair of headphones (I can’t recall the brand right now, but not Trond or the Miccus clones).  They sound very similar to the ml80 phones, but they don’t fit my head as well.  

I exclusively use wired headphones. The thought of a wireless link, the adding complexity to a complex system for me gives more concern than any benefit it might bring. The connection by wire gives good sound, and never fails. I've never tripped on a headphone cable yet! 

• Like 1

I like wired for when i am in the water or near bad emi. I also really like ML headphones until it gets to warm out, then i use earbuds.

• Like 1

I use the ML Bluetooth headphones for most of my field, woods, playground, etc. detecting.

I use my Pelso waterproof headphones for fresh and saltwater beach and water detecting.

I use the WM08 wireless module with wired earbuds in the very hot weather and when I wear a wide brimmed hat for sun protection that doesn't work well with regular headphones.

I use the ML80 headphones in colder months and like them. They sound fine to me and keep the wind and noise out of my head fairly well and let me hear faint tones better than the speaker, which I only use in the test garden at home sometimes. On warmer days, I use Aukey APTX-LL ear buds and love those. They really make high tones sing out and keep my head cool. I primarily hunt inland and parks as I'm land-locked, and only get to beach hunt on vacations but I don't usually go into the water and never submerse the Nox if I do. I'm really pretty happy with the bluetooth setup on the Nox. My only complaint, and it's not a deal breaker, is that if I change from the ML80s to the Aukeys, or vice-versa, I have to do a Factory reset to get them to connect to the Nox otherwise it just hangs in headphone search mode forever. Of course after a FR, I have to re-modify my favorite settings and save a User Preset again. That's annoying and a time waster in the field, so I usually do all that before I go out to hunt.

I primarily use Bluetooth and have used both the WM08 and a direct wired connection for wet conditions or water hunting, on rare occasions.

Comments:

I found the audio of the included ML 80 headphones disappointingly muffled and have preferred the Miccus SR71 clones that I purchased separately before getting the Equinox.  I have no idea how these seemingly identical headphones have such disparate audio quality.  Weird

Having the WM08 as an available wireless option for a preferred set of detecting phones is a great add (especially the ability to transmit to multiple WM-08 receivers simultaneously), but the reception is wonky and incompatibility with the other ML Wi-Stream hardware (WM-10, WM-12, ProSonic) is really frustrating and buying the hardware as a separate vice bundle accessory is really cost prohibitive compared to competitor's offerings from Garrett and Quest at literally $100+ dollars less.

Finally, I like ML's investment in an industry standard low latency BT protocol but am concerned about the long-term viability of APTX-LL because the demand does not seem to be at a level where BT device manufacturers are embracing the standard with multiple device offerings.  Several device manufacturers seem to have abandoned making hardware compatible with the APTX-LL standard,  indicating that things are headed in the wrong direction as far as ubiquitous manufacturer adoption is concerned.  Glad ML is sticking to their guns with APTX-LL apparently being retained for the GPX 6000.