Equinox Wireless Technology Poll

Equinox Wireless Poll  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the Equinox Bluetooth, the WM08 module, both, or none? Follow up posts explaining your vote will provide important information. I'd ask people make a little extra effort on this one. Please pick one of the first five options, and one of the last two if appropriate. Thanks.

• I use the Bluetooth exclusively
    • I use the WM08 module exclusively
    • I use both depending on the situation (please explain below)
    • I prefer to use the built in speaker
    • I prefer wired headphones
    • When I use the WM08, I do so mainly for faster responses
    • When I use the WM08, I do so mainly to make wired headphones wireless

I find the ML-80 headphones uncomfortable. They press against my ears which gets a bit painful after a while. I much prefer the comfort of the Tronds.

98 % of the time here an Arizona I use Bluetooth Earbuds. I use another pair of "Over the ear" headphones when at the beach to muffle the sound of the waves and when it's cold which is rare here. The ML headphones are in the original box for the next owner.  

I use the Bluetooth exclusively.

Untethered detecting is a pure joy, I could not go back to being corded. I do not feel the supposed lag time hampers me in any way. I never used the WM08 because I did not have quality headphones to begin with, so I can not truthfully say if I like it. I was good with the supplied BT phones but have since started using Avantree phones.

10 hours ago, Wendell Clark said:

I use the Bluetooth exclusively.

Untethered detecting is a pure joy, I could not go back to being corded. I do not feel the supposed lag time hampers me in any way. I never used the WM08 because I did not have quality headphones to begin with, so I can not truthfully say if I like it. I was good with the supplied BT phones but have since started using Avantree phones.

You should be able to use any headphones with the WM08. Most BT headphones are supplied with a wire. Give it a try.

I get a noticeable difference in sound quality with my Tronds. Different headphones will likely have different reactions. 

I use Sennheiser APTX earbuds when land hunting. I have a wm8 module that works fine and I’ve experimented with different headphones but it’s one more thing in the chain and I’ve just stuck with the Bluetooth for land.  I have a pairof wired waterproof earbuds that a seller on ebay makes that are fantastic for water hunting. 

Factory wireless headphones.

I tried the WM08 wireless module for a while, but it isn't really wireless is it since I have to plug wired headphones into it and then deal with THAT coiled cord bouncing around  and snagging on brush, etc.

is it possible to have a WM08 module / puck that connects into a headset similar to what XP does with their Deus? There are aftermarket headsets available that hold their puck. Or WM08 headphones instead of the current headphones provided.

rich

4 hours ago, UtahRich said:

is it possible to have a WM08 module / puck that connects into a headset similar to what XP does with their Deus? There are aftermarket headsets available that hold their puck. Or WM08 headphones instead of the current headphones provided.

Yes.  I obtained a short audio patch cable for my Gray Ghost MDT headphones which have a detachable non-coiled audio cable similar to any wireless BT headset nowadays, attached the WM08 to the Headphones’ head band and voila instant, self contained wireless headset utilizing ML Wi-Stream vice Bluetooth.  It’s not going to win any style awards, but it’s functional.  

Frankly, since the WM08 is small and can be pocketed or attached just about anywhere on your person, you can easily use any decent set of phones that utilize a detachable, non-coiled audio cable by obtaining an appropriately short non-coiled version of the audio cable using compatible connectors.  With a little forethought on the selection of headphone and audio cable to be used, headphone cable management while using the WM08 should be a non-issue.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, UtahRich said:

I tried the WM08 wireless module for a while, but it isn't really wireless is it since I have to plug wired headphones into it and then deal with THAT coiled cord bouncing around  and snagging on brush, etc.

My Equinox cord isn't coiled.

One way to keep it from getting snagged is to run the wire inside your shirt, or carry it in the inside pocket of your jacket. Okay that's two ways.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Yes.  I obtained a short audio patch cable for my Gray Ghost MDT headphones which have a detachable non-coiled audio cable similar to any wireless BT headset nowadays, attached the WM08 to the Headphones’ head band and voila instant, self contained wireless headset utilizing ML Wi-Stream vice Bluetooth.  It’s not going to win any style awards, but it’s functional.  

Frankly, since the WM08 is small and can be pocketed or attached just about anywhere on your person, you can easily use any decent set of phones that utilize a detachable, non-coiled audio cable by obtaining an appropriately short non-coiled version of the audio cable using compatible connectors.  With a little forethought on the selection of headphone and audio cable to be used, headphone cable management while using the WM08 should be a non-issue.

11 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

My Equinox cord isn't coiled.

One way to keep it from getting snagged is to run the wire inside your shirt, or carry it in the inside pocket of your jacket. Okay that's two ways.

I appreciate the thoughts, and I like Chase's idea of putting that speedy WM08 to use with a short custom cable.  Cudos. 

If the puck was round and clipped into a favorite pair of headphones sans custom adapter cables it would be even better.

I've done the cable routing under clothing and . . . . I can do it. Still a nuisance.  Takes time and then I have a wire coming out my collar area or up through an iPod opening in my jacket.  But if we're looking for optimal here for this next gen of equinox, a WM08 in a coat or pants pocket with a headphone wire routed up the torso isn't optimal.

What would be optimal?

rich