Official Minelab GPX 6000 Page

47 minutes ago, Norvic said:

Hmm, you could be right there, but as the great majority of detectors are purchased for recreation use now opposed to say 30 plus years back in OZ when fortunes were being made by some with them as in Africa now, I suspect MLs OZ and US hype is banking on this recreation trend growing. Time will tell, grab a few Codan Shares just in case.😉

Personally I think 6 big ones will most likely keep the "average joe" out for recreation on the sidelines?  Most the guys here on DP seem to take the "hobby" a little more serious than the "average joe"...?   jmo

• Like 3

On 4/1/2021 at 6:33 PM, Jonathan Porter said:

OMG WTF is going on in the world? Is this instant gratification, social media ‘add water and stir’ the dominant driving force now rather than someone actually having runs on the board? I say this with no wish of offending the social media effort makers reading this forum who are striving to hit that magical viral effect this type of interaction craves, but blow me down with a feather how can someone who has generated more views than actual hours in the field be a mover and shaker when it comes to imparting actual informed information on a subject as complex as a metal detector?

Achieving 100 000 views does not automatically insert someone into “detextspurt” category it just means they managaed to create something that was entertaining to a whole heap of clueless people!! I get the entertainment concept behind this type of interaction but just having an opinion for its own sake is not going to help people seeking real information!!

Maybe I’m NOW just an old dinosaur who’s resistant to change and feels threatened by a brave new world? But seriously whenever any of these viral vids touch on a subject I’m well versed in I find myself cringing 😬 in embarrassment. Talk about “Fake news!!!” 

I think Steve has made a good call on this, it’s better to just let this thing play out take a back seat and get on with my year. It’s a Minelab and fundamentally its DNA pedigree is flowing freely regardless of how many “Detextspurts” they engage!! Who knows maybe that’s the thinking behind the whole concept, such blind confidence in their product that they can be as fluid as they like on all other levels? God I feel old right now!! 😔 

JP

I finally figured out what's going on with Marketing and it's called "Influencer Marketing". I fell into the spell while on another forum and this guy did influence viewer's purchasing decisions and the company sold alot of their product in a 5-day period. He was rewarded with a brand new top-of-the line model, something new to promote! He was not an expert in the industry, but viewers followed his posts and his audience grew.

In our article, What is an Influencer we defined an influencer as being someone who has:

• the power to affect the purchasing decisions of others because of his or her authority, knowledge, position, or relationship with his or her audience.
  • a following in a distinct niche, with whom he or she actively engages. The size of the following depends on the size of his/her topic of the niche.

One of the biggest mistakes that traditional media makes is a failure to see the difference between celebrities and online influencers.

Bill

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I’d agree except Minelab actually ditched all the “influencers’ in favor of people nobody has heard of, and hired models. So they were doing influencer marketing, but now are just a mess. More like traditional print ads translated to the internet. If you look at all the people in all the 6000 videos so far, there are no people that match the definition given above.

Prospecting Men of Minelab Calendar coming soon! 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I could only give that post one like Jason, but you get all of them in spirit. The meme nailed it perfectly!!! :laugh:

I think marketing felt like the old crew was driving the bus more than they liked, with personality types not prone to staying under thumb. The models just stand where they are told and look pretty, much less trouble than grumpy old prospectors. :smile:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jasong said:

Like Ferrari hiring Bob the station wagon owner to demo a new highly anticipated model by grinding the gears and stalling the engine, instead of letting Michael Schumaker show off what it can really do. 

You could look at this also from a different perspective. ML designed this detector to reach a greater customer base, including people who are new to this field and who would likely get scared away by complicated settings. Like the Ferrari, but the average Joe being able to fully enjoy it, not just Michael Schumacher. This is exactly what I think their intention is. If they would show JP with the 6000 people would think it's just another high-end detector for the world's experts only. I actually think this is a smart strategy, although personally I would of course prefer JP on every advertisement for it, as one the real world's experts and who helped developing it. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jasong said:

Minelab is basically just trying to create their own social media. That's what "detexperts" are, and that's why they are choosing their own no-name relic hunting channels to give exclusive looks into prospecting specific equipment in whatever controlled manner they find acceptable. These are people that will post whatever they want, in whatever manner they find acceptable. It's patronizing as hell IMO.

Maybe if you are selling ACE 250's. But $6k to $10k detectors to serious enthusiasts and literal professionals doing this as full or part time business? Give me a break.

It's the kind of stuff that would hurt a company who doesn't have a monopoly. Like Ferrari hiring Bob the station wagon owner to demo a new highly anticipated model by grinding the gears and stalling the engine, instead of letting Michael Schumaker show off what it can really do. 

The minute a prettier lady walks by, we don't matter. I think it's kinda a hilariously inept and tone deaf. Like this stupid meme which is about as poignant demonstration of things as their videos.

image.png.e2956112c746bbcab3682140dd718097.png

Hilarious 😂 

36 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

You could look at this also from a different perspective. ML designed this detector to reach a greater customer base, including people who are new to this field and who would likely get scared away by complicated settings. Like the Ferrari, but the average Joe being able to fully enjoy it, not just Michael Schumacher. This is exactly what I think their intention is. If they would show JP with the 6000 people would think it's just another high-end detector for the world's experts only. I actually think this is a smart strategy, although personally I would of course prefer JP on every advertisement for it, as one the real world's experts and who helped developing it. 😁

So you prefer this.....

to this?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Steve Herschbach said:

So you prefer this.....

I think you know my answer Steve 😁. I think this is a real extreme and embarrassing example and would not attract anyone. But in principle, I think they want to steer away from the crowd who buys the new 6000 doesn't matter what.

• Like 3