Official Minelab GPX 6000 Page

I think the slogan "All gold. All soil. All the time" tells you everything. We all on this forum know that one detector never fits all. It is a catchphrase for growing the customer base, likely directed to the African market. In fact, I think real detectorists would challenge that phrase anyhow, but will buy the 6000 regardless and hold the nose. After all, it will be an awesome machine.

3 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I think they can do both quite easily, it would be no skin off anyone’s noses to allow the usual guys who were involved in its development to talk about the 6000 to their demographic in parallel to whatever the concept behind the Detextspurts is. Getting into a wider market in this new age should obviously be done via the social media influencer strategy, but why kill off the rank and file members who also crave information, they are also customers who spend money and are looking for info, after all it’s them who have largely funded the gravy trail to the latest and greatest anyway isn’t it? 

Social media has its place, here in Australia metal detecting for gold is all the rage thanks to programs like Aussie Gold Hunters, in fact there-in lies a prime example of what we are now dealing with. I can barely stand to watch any of those shows because I know BS when I see it. I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve been approached by AGH to come on the show and each and every time have said NO! There is no way I am ever going to have my image or my name attached to a scripted load of wank such as that!! But that is just my opinion because I’m informed enough to not enjoy what I’m seeing because I KNOW the subject, the vast majority of viewers world wide get a huge kick out of it and are not overly affected by what they are seeing, but I know better so for me its a deal killer!! Welcome to show biz folks. 😂 

Funny, my exact feeling about all the Gold Rush shows. I know too much to be able to enjoy them, as the fakery is too obvious.

Oh well, I just sound like an old-timer grumping about the new ways of reality tv and social media, so I'll leave it be going forward, and finish on a positive note. It appears all there is to know about the GPX 6000 has pretty much dropped now, so for me it's just waiting for a box in the mail someday, then time to go detecting. Best of luck to the rest of you with whatever decisions you make, and detectors you decide to go with. Looking forward to a great gold getting 2021 for everyone!!!! :smile:

Minelab GPX 6000 Data & Reviews

Minelab GPX 6000 User Manual

Minelab GPX 6000 Video Training

Minelab GPX 6000 Accessories and Spare Parts

minelab-gpx-6000-gold-nugget-detector-gpx11-coil.jpg

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Funny, my exact feeling about all the Gold Rush shows. I know too much to be able to enjoy them, as the fakery is too obvious.

Oh well, I just sound like an old-timer grumping about the new ways of reality tv and social media, so I'll leave it be going forward, and finish on a positive note. It appears all there is to know about the GPX 6000 has pretty much dropped now, so for me it's just waiting for a box in the mail someday, then time to go detecting. Best of luck to the rest of you with whatever decisions you make, and detectors you decide to go with. Looking forward to a great gold getting 2021 for everyone!!!! :smile:

Agreed Steve. 😊 

I’ve pondered this a bit and have come to the conclusion the reasons why we have this bottle neck is exactly what I have just described, the people pushing/marketing this product have a VERY BASIC knowledge of metal detection themselves so are not not capable of seeing it from a seasoned users perspective even a casual users perspective. I come up against this issue all the time when giving feedback where what is stinkingly obvious to me is TOTALLY missed by numbers of engineers!! 

• Like 3

The question is, how far will ML go into the gutter with this. They want to widen the customer base, including reaching those folks who watch those gold shows and truly enjoy it, but at the same time they don't want to loose credibility. After all, they have a huge reputation and are a great engineering company. A little bit of both might be a prudent approach, but IMO leaning too much into the "gold show folks" would be a huge mistake.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

The question is, how far will ML go into the gutter with this. They want to widen the customer base, including reaching those folks who watch those gold shows and truly enjoy it, but at the same time they don't want to loose credibility. After all, they have a huge reputation and are a great engineering company. A little bit of both might be a prudent approach, but IMO leaning too much into the "gold show folks" would be a huge mistake.

This is where this situation becomes untenable, by all means widen your customer base, but guess where they all end up when they start trying to justify their AU$8K purchase? On places like this forum or in my shop!!! Or worse on FB where everyone’s and expert!!

In the end they end up drifting to more knoweldagle people who are actually well versed in the art, they have to or they drown, which is explains all the ‘for sale’ detectors on Gumtree or whatever!! When people  throw that kind of coin down on a high end metal detector they have an expectation based on the marketing hype, trying to follow a Detextspurt on Fakebook is not going to answer the fundamental questions that are inevitably going to crop up. Yeah I’ve bought a ‘Switch on and Go’ detector that makes me an instant EXSPURT out of the box, but where do I actually go and how do I swing it?

• Like 6

I am actually offended that they let that out. If I were an executive at minelab I would pull that vid off YouTube in an instant. Total dogshit! Detexpert who? Couldn’t hear for the wind noise, dude had steel caps on, waving coil next to other detector on the ground. Could have at least been conducted in the field. So many things wrong/dumb and so little knowledge gained. There are quite a few good and enjoyable detector operators on YouTube atm with thousands of followers. If they want to create the right hype they should be handing the 6000 to them for some real first hand analysis in the field. I know that a new goldhound hour long movie would get me frothy👍👨🏻‍🦯💪 those YouTube vids got me started and the reason I chose minelab detectors. I think we have all been patient. Come on minelab!! Rant over.....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

When people  throw that kind of coin down on a high end metal detector they have an expectation based on the marketing hype, trying to follow a Detextspurt on Fakebook is not going to answer the fundamental questions that are inevitably going to crop up. Yeah I’ve bought a ‘Switch on and Go’ detector that makes me an instant EXSPURT out of the box, but where do I actually go and how do I swing it?

They could actually even feel betrayed by the marketing campaign, realizing it actually isn't that easy to find gold...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dan Smith said:

I am actually offended that they let that out. If I were an executive at minelab I would pull that vid off YouTube in an instant. Total dogshit! Detexpert who? Couldn’t hear for the wind noise, dude had steel caps on, waving coil next to other detector on the ground. Could have at least been conducted in the field. So many things wrong/dumb and so little knowledge gained. There are quite a few good and enjoyable detector operators on YouTube atm with thousands of followers. If they want to create the right hype they should be handing the 6000 to them for some real first hand analysis in the field. I know that a new goldhound hour long movie would get me frothy👍👨🏻‍🦯💪 those YouTube vids got me started and the reason I chose minelab detectors. I think we have all been patient. Come on minelab!! Rant over.....

I still don't know though if ML approved that clip, or if it was part of the official campaign. Debbie could have just shot the video on her own with good intentions.....

• Like 3