Official Minelab GPX 6000 Page

On 4/4/2021 at 4:00 PM, VicR said:

Come on guys, reading the last 3 pages is a bit depressing  - look on the bright side & the bigger picture.

Last year i was blocked because of Covid and corresponding state border closures from doing any real gold prospecting in Oz (my home state has very little accessible gold fields) - i stayed home and caught up with all the home renovations🙄.

This year - i have many trips planned  - with or without the GPX6000, this year is going to be a ripper compared to last year . I wish everyone luck & good health & i am looking forward to reading all about your great finds & adventures over the next 6 months.

Cheers.🙂

Absolutely agree. No more bitching from me about business type stuff that ultimately does not matter. I’ve been waiting for this detector for a couple years now, as there was a definite hole left in my capabilities when I ditched the GPZ 7000. When it went away, I told myself I’d hold out for whatever comes next, from whoever, with an emphasis on ergonomics. The QED and Fisher Impulse were in the running, but I’ve given up on both.

The GPX 6000 is basically the implementation of my own wish list, and is for me, just about the perfect nugget detector. All it lacks is ferrous id, and near as I can tell, an adjustable threshold. Some people are going to complain about the general lack of zillions of settings, and already are, but I’m all for simplicity. I’m certain the power is there, so I’m finally good to go again after a couple year hiatus. Lots for me to look forward to and be happy about, so thanks Minelab for the GPX 6000! :smile:

minelab-gpx-6000-gold-nugget-detector-gpx14-coil.jpg

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The GPX 6000 is basically the implementation of my own wish list, and is for me, just about the perfect nugget detector. All it lacks is ferrous id, and near as I can tell, an adjustable threshold. Some people are going to complain about the general lack of zillions of settings, and already are, but I’m all for simplicity. I’m certain the power is there, so I’m finally good to go again after a couple year hiatus. Lots for me to look forward to and be happy about, so thanks Minelab for the GPX 6000! :smile:

minelab-gpx-6000-gold-nugget-detector-gpx14-coil.jpg

EXACTLY.....!!!!   Seems everyone has their panties in a pinch.  I'm very much looking forward to receiving this tector and all the whining about this or that won't make any difference when it finally arrives?  The sob will get here when it gets here!  

• Like 7

OK - so there is a group on this forum who will be early adapters (me included) who will be getting the 6000 hopefully this month and another group who will wait to see some real world reports from people using this machine.

So my question is what should the early adapters be doing in the field and reporting on?

One thing i will be doing is using threshold and when i find a target see if i can still hear it without the threshold - it should be easy to get meaningful data. Also on same target switching between manual and auto sensitivity. What works best?

The big one is will the 6000 find gold other detectors cant see - will need a few mates with a Z, SDC, goldmonster and 5000 to test this one out on targets.

Any other ideas?

• Like 7

I'm no expert or tector tester but my plan is to hit a few spots I've already hunted multiple times with both the Monster and the SDC to the best of my abilities?  That should tell me, right outta the gate, if I get some I've missed before?  I've banked my pre-order on more depth than the SDC and the Monster....depth being the main reason.  Of course a very close second reason is ergonomics, external speaker, wireless, auto functions, etc. etc.  HATED the 5000 because of all the damned cords, harnesses, bungee, etc. getting hung up in the brush, not to mention how many seasons would it take me to use all the different timings/settings efficiently?  Got VERY spoiled using the Monster....lol

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, VicR said:

OK - so there is a group on this forum who will be early adapters (me included) who will be getting the 6000 hopefully this month and another group who will wait to see some real world reports from people using this machine.

So my question is what should the early adapters be doing in the field and reporting on?

One thing i will be doing is using threshold and when i find a target see if i can still hear it without the threshold - it should be easy to get meaningful data. Also on same target switching between manual and auto sensitivity. What works best?

The big one is will the 6000 find gold other detectors cant see - will need a few mates with a Z, SDC, goldmonster and 5000 to test this one out on targets.

Any other ideas?

Those comparison tests you mentioned are exactly the types people would like to see, the only other ones I can think of is operational dependability, durability, and perhaps rate of return vs that of other detector models.  But there’s a lot of variables that would go into that comparison including goldfield depletion, gold prices, and effort, so I’m not sure how that type of measurement could be done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VicR said:

Any other ideas?

I am in particular interested in the 14DD coil and how it will handle EMI. I have some really bad spots where I picked up a few shallow nuggets with the 7000, but I can't punch deeper due to terrible EMI interference (Airforce base close by...). Based on what I heard, the 6000 with the DD could outperform the 7000, and probably every other detector out there when EMI (or conductive ground) is bad. In addition, I am of course interested in the overall handling of the 6000 and it's performance with the 11 inch mono in challenging ground conditions where the mineralization is highly variable. I hope the Geosense will make a difference.

• Like 1

Well seeing as right now the three main claims of benefit - lighter weight, sensitivity to smaller gold, and improved performance in salt - are all completely without field test data to give meaning to the claims, those would be good starts.

How the 14" DD performs in salt and some actual data showing how it outperforms the GPZ and when/if it stops at a certain size nugget even in salt would be 1st on my list personally.

The 14" DD weighs 1015 grams which makes swinging it heavier than a 5000 with the 11" coil (820 grams) and not a ton lighter than the 15x12 Commander (1120 g). So, an actual field report from someone that has swung this DD coil for many days, all day or even weeks all day would be good. The 5000 required a bungee for many, so will the 6000 too if you use the DD? An 11" mono is too small for general exploration/prospecting, so if the 14" feels about like swinging a GPZ and requires a bungee still, then how/where exactly it outperforms the GPZ is crucial info (again why #1 and #3 are important in conjunction). I know I can swing a 1000 gram coil without a bungee, but I choose not to if I'm doing it all day every day, and I can't see how a lighter control box make this newly possible now but I could be wrong.

Lastly would be showing which weights nuggets it outperforms the GPZ on in normal ground, and where the crossover point is at. 

Not knowing those 3 things are specifically what stopped me from buying one. And what could change my mind. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

I am also looking forward to JP's gag order being lifted so we can finally get the full Monty 🤪

+1!!!

• Like 1