Official Minelab GPX 6000 Page

17 hours ago, jasong said:

Not all experts are created equal. Can't really compare a person like JP who detects for a living and has access to Minelab engineers to some of the Easy Experts in Arizona who advise people to run in Fine Gold and 8 gain in very mild places like Q and GB, or who don't seem to understand what the stabilizer does still after how many years...

I learned how to detect by targeting the voluminous amounts of gold missed by the latter group, and I see many of them still saying the same things today that caused them to miss all that gold 13 years ago, which means they still haven't learned and I personally don't qualify that as expert. Experts learn from mistakes, do what it takes to fix them, and then improve, constantly over and over. That's how an expert becomes an expert, and those who simply repeat the same mistakes over and over will hardly ever improve.

I wouldn't bother detecting behind a person like JP though, and I can think of 9 or 10 people on this forum (and I'm sure more I don't know) in the US who I'd truly regard as experts too in the same regard and not bother working ground they've gridded. That's expert level.

Give me a new tool that hits gold which the old tech simply can't hear, no matter how expert the operator was, and it's game on again though. :smile: That's one way to open up the goldfields, the other is to find new places. The second one can be done with 20 year old PI's and VLF's, the first way requires the newest cutting edge technology.

The 6000 appears to be trying to bridge the two concepts together and create a lightweight, fast prospecting machine that can also light up the old worked ground. Will be interesting to see how it does. 

Well heck I think you should make a video and show all the  experts how to manage the settings since everyone is doing it wrong- I'm no expert either I've had good results and mine is always in Fine Gold but my gain is alot higher than 8 along with some other tweeks:nugget: I like going behind other people just to see whats left and guess what no one gets it all with old or new deeper beepers including myself-lots of other things play a role  as well as the operator  New tech-its only as good as the operator heck I  was still using a  bungy free modded Sd2000  when most everyone else was using the Gp series and I was still finding gold behind them :ph34r:

• Like 1

One thing ML is really good at is to diversify their machines to fit various needs. IMO all current models have individual applications that are not matched by any other ML model. There never will be one-fits-all detector, ever. But what the 6000 appears to do is to sum up all that has been learned from the 5000, GM and SDC to feature an intelligent automated machine in a light weight format. To me, a good day prospecting is not just measured by how many grams I have recovered (if any...), but rather whether I had fun and a good overall experience. The 6000 appears to be perfect for that. But of course, I am in the fortunate position to have multiple options to choose from, based on the circumstances and how I feel that day. It appears though the 6000 is thus far the most overreaching detector WRT to applications, also indicated by the fact that it is the only high-end ML detector that comes with coil options (aside the 19 inch for the Z). This tells you that it is supposed to be an all rounder, with emphasis on handling and smart automation. I am still really curious though if the Geosense technology will give you yet another niche not matched by any other ML detector. But to be honest, I would not really care if not. 

• Like 5

OMG....now I gotta get a Minelab face mask.....(NOT)

1 hour ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I think these pictures sum up the GPX 6000 very concisely and also how I feel about those people who continue to suggest my input is biased or just marketing hype!!

From my perspective, when I first started detecting only 5 years ago, I think I pretty much read every word you ever wrote 🙂

This quote been my all time favourite: "There’s no point detecting in ground that is too deep for the detector so I like to keep bedrock in sight at all times"......Advice that has served me well over the last 5 years!!

Thanks JP!

• Like 3