Official Minelab GPX 6000 Page

20 minutes ago, jasong said:

I love data and I don't care if people rain a sh-storm onto me: I'll test and compare the 6000 to the 7000 the first chance I get because I'm curious and want to know. Bring it on. :laugh:

If I find that in the wet salt it's hitting 2+ grammers at 2-3"+ deeper than the GPZ then I'll find some way to finance it and get one in my hands, because I can make that pay. 

This is a professional level machine marketed primarily to people doing this for a living. I can't believe that even in Africa there is just zero specific performance data. Nothing... Like, I can't think of a single other product that is marketed to professionals or full timers that utterly and completely lacks any kind of specific performance data or at least performance comparisons to existing products. The crappy videos are blah, but this part just utterly baffles me. Star charts are not quantitative performance data, it barely qualifies as qualitative...or data. 

It makes me wonder if there is a 7500 coming with plenty of cutting edge performance upgrades for squeezing juice from the dry lemons that are US (and increasingly AUS?) goldfields, and the 6000 was intended by ML just to fill a niche for people that don't really care about such things and just want something better than the 5000 that is quick and easy to use?

Minelab says the GPZ 7000 is still top dog, and you are just the guy to prove it Jason! I'll trust Minelab on that one. If they were selling this as a $10K GPZ replacement, I can see the need to prove this is true. But if Minelab is not making that claim. All they've done is say the 6000 will hit smaller gold than a stock GPZ. We know now an X Coil can make a GPZ hit small gold it otherwise misses, so that is obviously possible. But my Equinox also hits smaller gold than a GPZ 7000, so it's really not saying much.

Now if your goal is to prove that the 6000 blows away the GPZ even if Minelab is not claiming that.... good luck! :smile:

• Like 1

Nope, I just want to test it where there is really no (specific) claims being made, and definitely no data. In salt and bad ground.

I really don't care if it outperforms the Z on dinks. But if it's outperforming the Z on appreciably sized stuff in difficult ground types where the Z struggles with any size coil - well then it's a real useful tool IMO!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Seriously, its all just Indiana Jones Thunder down under guys

We all have a little bit of Indiania Jones in us  - otherwise we would be safely crocheting rather than detecting.🙂

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You are new here Sheppo, so trust me, what you are seeing is classic Herschbach sarcasm! :laugh: 

I did figure 😂 just a disappointment about the whole situation is all.

Also, I like JP’s description of them aswell, ‘Detextspurt’. That’s a ripper.

4 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Minelab says the GPZ 7000 is still top dog

Minelab also markets the Etrac and CTX above the Equinox - sold my Etrac after 2 years of using the Equinox. I was getting much better results with the Equinox. Most of our club members who had the CTX are now using the Equinox. Not saying the  6000 will be better than the Z but that Minelab is not immune from using marketing spin when it suits them - the truth is out there just waiting to be unmuzzled.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, VicR said:

- the truth is out there just waiting to be unmuzzled.

The GPX Files - a new mystery show?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

The detectexperts of the future. Will get you 100k views in no time. Hey, at least looks more appealing than Klunkers bird.

1373358223_girldetector.JPG.0a5970c9e65a1350c3b2fe314acccb73.JPG

That picture is shopped.  I hope Minelab is not trying to shop the performance charts too.  If you don't have to know anything about detecting and you are an expert as soon as you purchase a 6000 then it's just like critical thinking ... it is what you say it is.  There is no comparison!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

That picture is shopped.  I hope Minelab is not trying to shop the performance charts too.  If you don't have to know anything about detecting and you are an expert as soon as you purchase a 6000 then it's just like critical thinking ... it is what you say it is.  There is no comparison!

I am sure that for the initiated (like us) the 6000 will be a blessing. But beginners who get the 6000 as their first machine might get hooked on the automation. But perhaps this will be the new ML vision going forward: Don't worry about settings too much and let the machine do most (all) for you. Who knows, the new 7000 successor could equally have much more automation, and machines like the current 7000 and the 5000, with all their settings, would then disappear over time. IMHO this would be a pity. The current 7000 has just the right balance between automation and settings, the 5000 was overkill. But a new 7000 with just auto 1 and auto 2 and not much more, I just can't imagine that!

• Like 2