Official Minelab GPX 6000 Page

3 hours ago, VicR said:

Well maybe not one video but maybe say 3 on the functionality of the 6000 cutting out the spin, gloss and actors then having some regional highly experienced experts give their take on the 6000 with some tips on what to expect for their particular region without a dictated script.

I would love to see Minelabs marketing plan (not to be confused with advertising plan) - if they have one -to understand their rational behind their fairly disjointed product launch of what is a extremely important product for the company. I'm guessing their prime focus is technology and product development with marketing possibly being a bit of a poor cousin afterthought.

Anyway can't wait to pick up my 6000 on Monday - hopefully it will turn out to be as good as the girl of my dreams.

Beach detecting I always get asked what has been my best find - I always say my wife - it gets a laugh from the ladies.

ha ha wife and anchor in one beach find ........🤪🤪   👩‍🦳 🤿

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm happy to say the 6000 really does exist.

I picked one up yesterday from JP's shop, The Outback Prospector in Clermont.

First impressions, well packed but not ridiculously entombed in plastic, nice and light.

It takes a few hours to give the battery full initial charge so allow for that when you purchase one.

Bluetooth headphones are nice quality and charged fairly quickly by USB from my laptop.

Looking forward to using it in the paddock but need to wait a couple of days till my knee fixes itself.

• Like 6

Well I have a 6000 in my hot little hands :)...technically its back in the box..

Wont get a chance to get out until next weekend but very excited!

So light, oh so light!!

cant wait to take it out and see how it goes.

I can actually hear my shoulders thanking me :)

• Like 4

Looks like the GPX 6000 can find the tiny gold and the large gold in Australia!

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=34961&p=23

Hey mate 8 nuggets today from a patch i've been flogging since 2002.Thought there would be bugger all left but there they were, nice bright signals.
Amazing machine quiet in hot ground,light and if it's metallic you'll hear it.I found a 1.34g nugget nearly 11 measured inches in depth and the signal was loud and clear.Have fun with it when it arrives.

image.png.b3c1739b70f49807885a24ddd14852dd.png

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 2

On 4/11/2021 at 9:13 PM, jasong said:

Cracks me up how they say outright (accurately) that almost no one bothered to learn how to use their prior machines correctly:

"For a product with multiple ground balance timings, multiple coils, and various other settings, it is usually assumed that the user fully understands the behaviour or characteristics of various timings, coils and other settings and has knowledge about the soil he/she is interrogating, and selects the proper timing, the proper coil, and other proper settings. The assumption is incorrect for most users.:laugh: 

Salty, Minelab! But true. Just gave me a chuckle.

Also: further evidence of this being for gold machines even though they used coins as a test is their depth result on an Australia dime was 18"+! Pretty sure the EQ/CTX range can't do that.

Jason,

I've thought about this quote a while since I've read it.  Now I am reading some of the expert testers such as JP and Nenad show their results and tell of their feedback provided to Minelab to make this detector as good as it can be and also simple.

Based upon their results as experts I would say that there is not anyone who has been able to tame their detectors completely.  These experts are now finding nuggets in patches long flogged by all other detectors and detectorists before.  No matter how many passes and how many timing adjustments and settings adjustments are made there is still unseen gold.

This was proven to me quite conclusively at one of Gerry's metal detecting classes.  He took several different detectors, gold nuggets and specimens and passed them over the different coils in AIR TESTS and not all the nuggets could be seen.  You can only imagine what is not seen by even the best detectorists with some salt and mineralization.

Minelab is 'blaming' its customers for 'holes' in its previous detecting technology.  When you take the new technology and place it in the hands of experts and they find gold where no gold could be found with the old technology then it is not operator error.

I'm glad for their improvements because they are not making any new gold nugget patches.  You can go out and recover gold from old patches and because of its light weight maybe get to an unswung piece of ground with some virgin nuggets.

Mitchel

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

You can only imagine what is not seen by even the best detectorists with some salt and mineralization.

That there is exactly why I'm still looking at how the 6000 does in the field. I could care less about a thousand tiny dinks, my GPZ and 8"/10" finds them smaller than I care to hassle with already. It's truly a waste of time in my mind to spend all that effort recovering a 0.02 grammer that I can barely see, unless I'm just looking for patch leads. And my GB2 and GM1000 are lighter and just as sensitive for hard rock stuff (plus have discrim) when I need that.

I think the bulk of what's left for decent finds in old patches are going to be pulled out of places where salt and heavy mineralization are masking them (and trash, but we aren't there yet with discrim). I really can't believe there is no salt performance data at all on the 6000, or that I seem to be the only person on this forum asking for it or interested in it! 1000 dinks, bleh. 5" deeper on a 2 grammer in NNV alkali? I'd have been 1st on the waiting list with whatever dealer could get it in my hands first if I knew there was some performance like that to be had.

Anyways, I think the 6000 will recover a metric ton of tiny dinks in the major goldfields, I know they are there because I was recovering them with my 8" in pretty much every patch I revisted. But 1000 0.03 gram dinks is only 30 grams, not even a troy oz. So, I think the 6000 will definitely be great for those who struggle to find stuff or just want a bit of color on weekend trips, but I'm still waiting to see the money with regards to the improvements in salt and bad ground where the paying finds are likely at.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

When you take the new technology and place it in the hands of experts and they find gold where no gold could be found with the old technology then it is not operator error.

That’s what is expected of the experts, since they understand the controls, and are getting close to best performance out of each machine. Minelab is not “blaming” anyone; they are simply stating a fact I’ve observed countless times watching other operators. The number of people who own GPX machines, and have very little clue as to how to use them properly is quite high, and this despite people like JP putting out training tapes. The fact is the machines are complex, and it should not surprise anyone that skilled operators are the minority. From what I’ve seen, a lot of people learn just as much as it takes to get them going halfway well, then it’s off to the races. Making machines that will eliminate this complex learning can only help the majority of people be better detectorists. 

• Like 5

I still say the experts can't get it right with previous technology.  JP is finding nuggets with the 6000 on his flogged ground.  We are both right.  Everyone wins with this new detector but much of the gold is already gone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

Based upon their results as experts I would say that there is not anyone who has been able to tame their detectors completely.  These experts are now finding nuggets in patches long flogged by all other detectors and detectorists before. 

" I still say the experts can't get it right with previous technology.  JP is finding nuggets with the 6000 on his flogged ground."  

Perhaps you are forgetting the unknown that we have at the moment - the possibility that there is actually new tech in the 6000.  Whether it be in the brains or in the coil.  I can only imagine that is the reason that JP is finding gold in severely flogged ground - not because he didn't know how to get the best from a 5000 or a GPZ.  But that's just my guess 🙃

• Like 2