Official Minelab GPX 6000 Page

41 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I’m fine with either, as I can see people going both ways on it. The DD coil would be good in Northern Nevada salt locations, while the 17” would be good for patch hunting. My main concern is accessories, because what we get in the box may be all we can get for some time. Seems like with GPZ it was months before we could even buy a skid plate. If Minelab does not allot some extra coils so people can have all three, then I can already hear the grumping about whatever one is not in the box. 

Minelab GPX 6000 Data & Reviews

dd would be good in Rushworth Victoria Australia too .....nasty ground.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gold Catcher said:

That would be a definite bummer. How would we enjoy the 6000 without skid plates on the provided coils??

GPZ coils... all Minelab coils... come with skid plates. But on GPZ people were wearing them completely out before you could get a spare. In a nutshell, 100% of production goes to building units. Minelab is not in the business of selling anything but detectors, so accessory coils, and even the most basic accessories, are often in very short supply for the first year. Unless something has changed, I expect the same thing again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have my name on the order list at a local distributor in Adelaide , South Australia and they confirmed in Australia that the 6000 will be coming out with the small mono and the DD coils - not the 2 mono coils as the Middle East videos suggested. Unsure what coils will be released as standard in other countries. They believed that the 17" elliptical will be released at a later date but did not know when.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

GPZ coils... all Minelab coils... come with skid plates.

Not entirely correct. I was lucky enough to win a Vanquish 340 in March last year at the Wedderburn (Victoria) metal detecting jamboree. Unboxed it at home and found that the skid plate is an optional extra and not included! - so i had to go and buy a skid plate before using it. I am not sure its a good thing that a entry level product misses out on a vital part just to keep the price down - i am sure some new people to our sport would not realise the importance of a skid plate. I suppose they are relying on distributors to educate people who buy this product. Cant see them doing this on the GPX6000 though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, VicR said:

Not entirely correct. I was lucky enough to win a Vanquish 340 in March last year at the Wedderburn (Victoria) metal detecting jamboree. Unboxed it at home and found that the skid plate is an optional extra and not included! - so i had to go and buy a skid plate before using it. I am not sure its a good thing that a entry level product misses out on a vital part just to keep the price down - i am sure some new people to our sport would not realise the importance of a skid plate. I suppose they are relying on distributors to educate people who buy this product. Cant see them doing this on the GPX6000 though.

Heck,  The dealer who offered up the detector for free, he wanted to make $5 profit so probably took the coil cover off.  

You might be right though on the beginner models, but I don't sell enough of those.

All Minelabs I have sold in the US for 20+ yrs came with coil covers.

At least you won a free Minelab detector.

• Like 4

Amazing Goop until someone comes out with a skid plate. On my NFA's I just Goop'ed each new hole until the entire plate was essentially covered in a thin layer of it and never bothered buying new skid plates. 😄 Easier for spoked coils I guess.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alaska detector said:

I’ve liked everything I’ve seen for the 6000, light weight, powerful, easy to use, water resistant. My main concern is the option for coils, I’m patch hunting with the potential for deep, big nuggets and have a bigger coil would be great. Not that not having it would stop me from purchasing, since this detector checks like 80% of my boxes, it’d just be nice to have.

I see you like to chase big deep gold and if that's the case I think a GPX-5000 with the 30+ coils options out there might give you more diversity and at a lower price.  

Now if you are like me and prefer lighter weight and better ergonomics and as a bonus, the GPX-6000 is said to perform better on smaller gold (the majority out there), then the 6000 is the way to go.

You have a dealer in Anchorage that might be able to help you out.  If for some reason he does not have the inventory when you are ready to purchase, or you'd like to get from a dealer who offers Field Training, just look me up.  But give him 1st offer as he is in your area.

I see you swing a 24K, how you like it?  It was one of my favorite VLF gold only detectors.

1Big24A.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

GPZ coils... all Minelab coils... come with skid plates. But on GPZ people were wearing them completely out before you could get a spare. In a nutshell, 100% of production goes to building units. Minelab is not in the business of selling anything but detectors, so accessory coils, and even the most basic accessories, are often in very short supply for the first year. Unless something has changed, I expect the same thing again.

On my Meteorite Hunt to AZ 2 weeks ago (yes I'll post about it later) I put a new coil cover on my GPZ-7000.  That trip put me in the field chasing meteorites for 2 days and gold nuggets for 2 days.  When the trip was complete, I removed the 4 day old GPZ and the stinking $50 cover had 2 holes already in it.  

The X-Terra stock 9" round coils, the FBS series detectors, the Gold Monster Coils and the GPZ coils are all a softer plastic that easily wears out.  The previous SD/GP and GPX detectors have the covers made of a harder plastic and it slides across the ground easier and last longer.

I'm most certain the GPX-6000 will have coil covers on the coils when purchased.

Heck for many years in the USA, Minelab was the only company that provided coil covers already on the coils.  To be fair though, their detectors were 2 and 3X the price of American units.

Hi Gerry & Steve - i kept the Vanquish 340 box (see attached) - clearly states that the skid plate is a optional extra. I double checked with Miners Den here in Adelaide and they also confirmed that the 340 does not come with a skid plate - you have to buy it as an extra. To their knowledge this is the only detector Minelab has released that does not come standard with a skid plate. The other Vanquish models come as standard with skid plates. This maybe different for other markets.20210205_091222_resized.thumb.jpg.2e9a1e5219c80954077ce5c8e50d5ce8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1