Your Recommendations On Nugget Hunting Field Gear

Looking for tips on what to carry in  the field for nugget hunting.  I have a metal detector, skid plate for the coil, an Apex pick with super magnet, a plastic scoop, a plastic flat sided cup, a small plastic bottle for nuggets.  Which is better, a back pack or finders pouch?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Water, a gun or bear spray if applicable, Tecnu, gold pan. I usually take a backpack since I will be a few miles from my vehicle and need food and other stuff. But if you are staying close to safety and comfort you don’t need much.

I started putting my nuggets in either a water bottle or weed container with some water in it and they come out nice and clean after you walk and dig all day.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Cascade Steven said:

a small plastic bottle for nuggets. 

A big plastic bottle, just kidding but have a visible container that can be found easy if you drop it. White is not the best in quartz areas. Use one  like this one with a different capP4260261.thumb.JPG.8dbb3849fa738c373ca541e51bd4d6db.JPG.

• Like 8
  • Oh my! 1

Trash pouch (please pack out your trash), pruning shears for cutting roots, extra scoop (if you loose a scoop out in the brush it can really ruin your day so have another in your rig just in case), swiss army type knife with a saw blade for BIG roots, PLASTIC vile for gold (glass will break), small crevice tool..........

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Hard Prospector said:

If your serious about volume, a highbanker, sluice or drywasher should be part of the program.

Just being realistic and good luck.

No shovels for this kid, thanks! :smile: It’s detecting for me or nothing, and so far it’s not been nothing.

• Like 6

I have on me, a Camelbak (water bladder type, packed with iced water) back pack that has a first aid kit, spare batteries for the audio booster, spare gloves, gold bottle and toilet paper (you never know when the call may strike) and usually throw my car keys and phone (in aeroplane mode) in the top pocket. I also have a belt that carries my pick and scoop.

I usually have an esky (cooler) in my car with lunch in it aswell as something other than water to drink (yes water gets boring), a crowbar (for the extra hard ground, and incase of a decent find) and shovel.

I’m never more than 15 minute’s walk from my car if I need any of those things out of it. 

• Like 4