Your Recommendations On Nugget Hunting Field Gear

If you're going to be going out-of-sight of your vehicle:

Whistle, small mirror, and some way to start a fire (matches in a waterproof holder, fire stick,...).  A space blanket (here is an example but the one I carry is smaller and lighter) is a good idea, too.  Take something red or orange (e.g. hat).  A  portable filter (an example) is lightweight and another potential lifesaver.

BTW, the mirror is for signaling a search aircraft.  If/when necessary, hold your hand at arms length with the index and middle finger pointing up in a -V- (kinda like a slingshot yolk).  Get the aircraft in your site -- the two fingers.  Hold the mirror in your other hand next to your eye and direct the sunlight between those two fingers on your extended hand.

The point is that there are a lot of lightweight emergency items that take up very little room and that are affordable.  Even if you never need them it's good peace-of-mind (for you and your loved ones).

• Like 2

If all things fail you may have to walk out. Navigation is important so look at a map and find a HANDRAIL (road, river, fence or visible land feature) where you are going. Note the direction (compass/sun) and head in that direction till you hit the "handrail" when you do follow it either way till you get any land mark you can recognize. Now at least you know where you are.

A mate of mine got turned around once  because he left his GPS where he just found a nugget. He had a Walkie Talkie and said he was lost and there was no land marks in site. Knowing that he had not crossed any roads I was able to tell him to put the sun behind him and to walk about 30° to his left till he hit the road and go to the left and give us call on radio and we will pick him up.

A lot of people get turn around. Another mate saw us walking towards him. When we met he said he heading back to the 4WDs as it is too hot. It was funny because we were going back for the same reason. I told him to turn around and follow us. When we got back he told his wife with the reddest face. 

• Like 3

And in Oz a pressure bandage for snake bite ( and know how to apply it) preferably carry a PLB if out of Cell phone range, I carry a CB to contact my wife and have the Sat phone and EPERB ( out of our boat) back in the vehicle (not handy if I am 2miles out.) Plus GPS and Gaiters etc.

• Like 1

Cascade Steve as bushwalking on and off track I have had a bit of experience finding my way around. A couple of times I though I must of made a mistake. The first was when I parked the 4WD about 200 yards south of two very visible vehicles. When I got back I saw the other vehicles and looked for my 4WD and could not find it. I went back to the other 4WD and ask them if the saw mine. It turn out that the had moved their 4WDs about 200 yd south of mine and were no longer north of me. The other time I was looking for a mine with the GPS and followed a river for a while then used the GPS to look for an historical mine. On the way back on a straight line to car I hit the river. The trouble was the river was following in the wrong the direction. I checked the GPS and I was still on line to the car. I had to cross over the same river twice before I got back to car. When I looked at the map in the car I found that I had came down inside a large loop in the river just after I left it on the way up.  The leason learnt was don't pick moving land mark and look at the features on the map first. 

When I was detecting for a mining company, we were finding nuggets so fast. It took so much time to unscrew the lid off the nugget container. So I made a rubber slit in the lid. The next day I was doing my thing and slamming nugs into my new invention. The excavator operator saw what I was doing and said " you should patent that."..... I said why? I will sell maybe 3. Who is going to have this problem 🤣

AD9064EB-0244-487C-AB60-4719EB8FA047.jpeg

2483A270-BA69-417B-AC75-0C9864F80598.jpeg

• Haha 1

Don't forget a snake bite kit, I have always used one in my first aid kit after my grandfather told me about them.

Here is a link to what they look like.

https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Supplies-Extractor-Backpacking-Camping/dp/B074CN58RV/ref=sr_1_4?crid=LFC8RAL8RKMC&dchild=1&keywords=the+extractor+snake+bite+kit&qid=1612583895&sprefix=the+extractor%2Caps%2C209&sr=8-4

Good luck and happy hunting.