Norvics New Troopy Setup

Norvic

1 hour ago, jrbeatty said:

Sounds like some of you are glamping, not camping. Next you'll tell me you're running ovens, TV's and microwaves!  🙂

I like being comfortable 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jrbeatty said:

I don't see the point in carrying a generator in a camper setup when your vehicle already has a 3-4 KVA one built in?

I use a Redarc auto dual battery charging setup. If the flexible rooftop solar panels can't keep up (rare for me) then I fire up the diesel for a few minutes.

Sounds like some of you are glamping, not camping. Next you'll tell me you're running ovens, TV's and microwaves!  🙂

Never heard of glamping so Googled it," resort style camping", wow!!!! JR, you`d have to have walked in my shoes in my remote part of OZ, the Redarc you are talking of is much the same as the Enerdrive plus DC/DC charger I use (as listed earlier), to use ones vehicle motor in camp with the diesel exhaust fumes distributed in ones camping area plus the craziness of running such a large motor for a couple of hours each day for such little output, no much better for me to have the very quiet light weight (15kg genny and 15l or 15kg of fuel enough for a month plus, for a year if sunny} away on the end of a 20m extension lead. 

Nah, JR again, you`d really have to walk in my shoes for last 40 plus years to know where I`m at, expresso coffee is the recent addition, true it is an indulgence but heh I`ve earnt it and you know what after those years I ask for no more but to continue as long as possible in this historic electronic gold rush of which I feel very privledged to be a part of. I threw the historic in because if in the extremely unlikely chance that the amount of gold it has produced comes to light some time in the future it will indeed be noteworthy and go down alongside the 1800s gold rushes as an individuals gold rush not a company`s rush.

• Like 4

I guess it's easier with a mobile campervan. Can drive off at a minute's notice. I find it cheaper to run the engine for 10 minutes (not hours?) This uses sod all fuel and recharges a partially discharged 100ah aux battery in no  time, at least enough to get to the next day's sun. My hot water is also from the engine via a Glind heat exchanger, so I usually have a hot shower while recharging!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Norvic said:

What the hell are you fellas on about, what`s a shower?

Since lady's won't be around (at least I am guessing they aren't), shower is just optional, espresso isn't 😅

• Haha 1

Are RV's not very popular in Australia? I notice a lot of the postings I see are truck mounted mobile setups.

Here almost everyone uses an RV and then does day excursions via truck or side by side. Then a tent for multi-day excursions away from base camp but I don't really see many except the younger guys doing that here. I lived in an RV in the field full time for over 5 years, so they are quite comfortable to work out of and live in.

I'm curious why Australia seems to have a different approach, is it lack of dirt roads to get an RV close enough to areas of interest?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jasong said:

Are RV's not very popular in Australia? I notice a lot of the postings I see are truck mounted mobile setups.

Here almost everyone uses an RV and then does day excursions via truck or side by side. Then a tent for multi-day excursions away from base camp but I don't really see many except the younger guys doing that here. I lived in an RV in the field full time for over 5 years, so they are quite comfortable to work out of and live in.

I'm curious why Australia seems to have a different approach, is it lack of dirt roads to get an RV close enough to areas of interest?

Alot of people are using trailered campers, either soft or hard tops or use something similar to Norvic’s set up. Biggest thing we want is access to areas, and to do it this way is easiest.

I know there are people that have the RV set ups aswell (one of my friends has a full off-grid set up in a 40ft bus with a 4WD he tows on a trailer, the thing is a mansion on wheels).

It all depends on the individual I suppose. Pictured is what my outfit looks like folded up. I’ll have everything I need on it from water to solar power, a fold out kitchen on the tailgate and most importantly, a comfortable, queen sized bed. It is basically a fold out tent mounted to a heavy duty trailer with storage rack (it tilts so I can unfold the tent). I plan on trying to camp where I’m exploring and then expand further from there.

It’s not so much a lack of dirt roads, it’s the condition of them and then the tracks you travel down to get to where you want to go. These can be very rough and unforgiving.

B9E03CDF-AAE3-42A9-95AA-D7BF593AC886.jpeg

• Like 5

Yeah Jasong, I have an 11ft off-road caravan also but I cannot tow it into anywhere near where I prospect thus the rigged Troopy. If you have a roam around FNQ OZ via Google Earth Satellite, north of the 18th Parallel, you`ll see a lot of rough remote country. Fortunately for me it is so rugged and remote there is still many undiscovered patches.

Most of the patches I`ve found in the last 20 plus years can only be got at by walking, no wheeled vehicle can access, in country that has little interest to fossickers as it has no records of gold finds, and you know the first bit of advice a fossicker gives is usually research and go where gold finds have a history. I simply advise remove the blinkers, clear history and geology (yeah geology too) out of your mind and go out there as a novice but a novice that knows how to use a gold detector, for gold arguably is the most widely spread element on earth, and we have the most advanced gold loaming machine man has ever had, MLs metal detectors.

• Like 4

That's a great attitude and mentality norvic. Unfortunately, here in the US there are not many of these undiscovered countries left. As off the grid, I prefer truck campers. There you have high clearance with full off-road capbilities, but no trailer. Earthroamers are cool. About 1 Million. I bet they throw-in a high-end espresso machine.

• Like 1