Norvics New Troopy Setup

Norvic

Been nearly 40 years since I`ve gone off wide tyres, too much sidewall damage from the sharp slates of back yard. At this stage will probably go for air bellows on the rear otherwise just wait for the usual Toyota sag, long time customer of Superior so will go their way probably after a season or two. As these days I only work in winter, very rarely have wet bogs only water I see is creek/river crossings thus clean water. But it is a bit of a worry that low down alternator, bit frightening lifting the bonnet, got to hope she`s reliable as the days of bush mechanicing are over, just too complicated.

Nah she comes standard with Toyota Sat nav, (GLX) but I`ve installed the 12.8 Android from the old girl, that gives me Oziexplorer along with a smart phone means the days of carrying a notebook are nearly over. 60L of water plus 2x 20l jerry cans, days of going a week without a shower are gone also. Get soft in old age and forget to take a teaspoon of cement now and again. Tis a bit of a worry this old age, heading for domestication is frightening after a life of gold/barra, Hinchinbrook hut probably have to remove this year, erosion.

Went with Enerdrive DC/DC/MPPT to handle the house battery charging via solar or alternator, with their 2000W Inverter, another Qlder that knows the go and supplies top gear. Until the AGMs die and replace with Lithium I have to crank up the donk/genny to get enough sparks to run the coffee machine, but can live with that.

Gerry, Downunders lot of Covid Princesses are keeping our gold safe from invaders😁 Only joking you are most welcome, that`ll teach us not to leave it laying around. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Norvic said:

Been nearly 40 years since I`ve gone off wide tyres, too much sidewall damage from the sharp slates of back yard. At this stage will probably go for air bellows on the rear otherwise just wait for the usual Toyota sag, long time customer of Superior so will go their way probably after a season or two. As these days I only work in winter, very rarely have wet bogs only water I see is creek/river crossings thus clean water. But it is a bit of a worry that low down alternator, bit frightening lifting the bonnet, got to hope she`s reliable as the days of bush mechanicing are over, just too complicated.

Nah she comes standard with Toyota Sat nav, (GLX) but I`ve installed the 12.8 Android from the old girl, that gives me Oziexplorer along with a smart phone means the days of carrying a notebook are nearly over. 60L of water plus 2x 20l jerry cans, days of going a week without a shower are gone also. Get soft in old age and forget to take a teaspoon of cement now and again. Tis a bit of a worry this old age, heading for domestication is frightening after a life of gold/barra, Hinchinbrook hut probably have to remove this year, erosion.

Went with Enerdrive DC/DC/MPPT to handle the house battery charging via solar or alternator, with their 2000W Inverter, another Qlder that knows the go and supplies top gear. Until the AGMs die and replace with Lithium I have to crank up the donk/genny to get enough sparks to run the coffee machine, but can live with that.

Gerry, Downunders lot of Covid Princesses are keeping our gold safe from invaders😁 Only joking you are most welcome, that`ll teach us not to leave it laying around. 

Mines a GLX but no sat Nav you lucky 🍀 devil. 😆  What brand of android are you using, is it an external arrangement or replaces the 2DIN dash unit? Agreed on the Enerdrive gear very good stuff have it in my Bushtracker Van (600 amps lithium) and my NPS truck (3 x AGM). I use the new Trilobite app on my android phone but some are a bit cautious about data. OziX is good but a bit klunky at times. 

• Like 2

Tis a stereo/tuner/GPS android head unit with a 12.8" screen I`d imported from China a couple of years back, not using the stereo/tuner as Toyotas combined stereo/tuner/navi is magic, easy to use and tuner with the electric antenna brings in distant AM radio no drama. I think mine is the 2021 model thus the navi standard. OziX I`ve used for crikey must be over 20 years after trying Fugawi, have Tribolite too but love OziX.

20210206_063123.thumb.jpg.1fc5db5653dd22dae40b0b2ed2b032b6.jpg

• Like 3

Real nice Norvic. I drive my Ranger 700 around the gold fields here in the (USA) West during the day, then back to camp at the end of the day. Unlike your set-up, I am limited by how far I can go each day but still very happy with my set-up. Good luck, good hunting. 

• Like 2

Nice setup Norvic.

Here's my home from home (on the job in Victoria with Reg Wilson and his lambs) It's a LWB VW T5 AWD with pop top conversion.

Being an ex rural ambulance, it came with Bilstein suspension and all the optional bells and whistles, including alloys, diff lock, sat nav and traction control. It now has two demountable double beds, gas stove, hot water, shower, sink, dual voltage fridge, annexes, Mobile phone booster, Dual battery with Redarc regulator, Flexible solar panels glued to the pop top, with MPPT Bluesolar controller.

Powered by a 2.5L twin turbo diesel coupled to a 6 speed manual, it has a rated top speed of 180KMH, which it does fairly comfortably, even when loaded - not that I do that very often mind you,  but makes for safe overtaking!

With it's long wheelbase, it's definitely more of a "Soft-roader", but has got me up some surprisingly difficult fire trails on occasions. I remember once arriving on dusk atop a mountain plateau after a tricky climb, to looks of astonishment from all the serious off-roaders camped there!  :)

Van.thumb.jpg.e86d221baa1c3166cb5aee17d473ae5a.jpg

• Like 5

Nice one JR, say hello to Uncle Reg for me, call him Uncle coz I had an Uncle Reg who would blow hell out of me when I dropped a sinker into the bottom of his wooden boat to scare the fish into biting he reckoned it chased them but I learnt later ya gotta stir em up a bit, fish too. I reckon Reg would do the same, quickly apologize to him if he picks up the axe but tis good fun no....

• Haha 3

MSC and all please post photos of rigs and camp setups plus some explanation of features as it is a topical, interesting and educational subject as diverse as the individual we cater them for.

• Like 4

Sorry to sidetrack a bit, but what are these coffee machines you blokes speak of and are they power hungry?

I carry a Kelly kettle and a can of Nescafé blend 43 and while it does the job it’s just not barista quality.

p.s. Does anyone know what happened to blends 1 to 42?🙂

• Haha 6

I`ve a DeLonghi coffee machine that uses fresh crushed coffee beans it uses the full 2000w which is too much for the AGMs thus start donk to give batteries a kick for the 5minutes or so the coffee machine does its thing, but I have a Makita coming which is not a high pressure machine like the DeLonghi it only draws 550 w but still uses freshly crushed coffee beans, so if the coffee is OK from it I`ll carry it about as is much more rugged. Blends 1 to 42 buh no idea but must`ve been failures  MT

• Like 1