New Concept In Metal Detectors? (warning: Facetious Post)

Here's a piece of an ad that showed up on my browser page while reading the forum.  I sometimes miss figuring things out but this one (on the surface) seems too far out there to have me fooled, but I never really know.  The one on the left is particularly bizarre.  Maybe just kids toys that don't actually work but make them think they are detecting?  (I could have clicked the ad and gone to the site but I'm always concerned that this will lead to me being targeted by more of their ads.)

558512592_Screenshotat2021-02-02160346.png.12a4c016254a4ca333e16012e964fcf3.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

One on the left looks like it will work on carpets. Is the one on the right compatible with swiffer pads and cleaner bottles? LOL

On a practical sense the left one seems heavy at the bottom and probably tough to swing.

• Haha 3

I couldn't resist -- I had to click on the ad and find out what was going on.  I only got as far as investigating the product on the left, and am still not sure how it works.  But it was in the Salvador Dali section of the website so that might be a hint....

• Haha 2

Would be fun to get one of those and put some high end detector parts inside and make a sleeper for a seeded hunt 🙂

Interestingly, I recently had an example of the model on the left, I found it dumped near a recycling paper/bottle-bank site. So for fun, I brought it home to perform a strip-down.

99% of it went in the bin, the most useful part was the PP3 9 volt battery connector. The bizarre bit was the LCD display. It did nothing of note, and clearly its sole purpose was 'hood ornament'. Yet there was way more tech in this LCD than the rest of the machine, it had some multi-segment 'pie-chart' appearance, that cycled round when (presumably) metal was under the coil. There were two cob ( chip on board) integrated circuits to drive the LCD, yet the rest of the detector had just 5 transistors total.
It's quite bizarre that the designers have gone to so much trouble creating this useless contraption, when they could've actually made something that genuinely worked, in a simple way.

• Like 2