Coiltek 10x5 Or Vanquish 340 Or Sp24 For Simplex?

A lot of interest around these new Equinox coils. The 10x5, like for many, is tempting. But darn that $219 price tag! 

So just for some fun discussion, what choice would you make if you hunt parks or lots for jewelry and  coins mostly? Not talking hunting for gold nuggets, urban hunting : )

Coiltek 10x5 for you Equinox at $219?  

A whole Vanquish 340 that comes with a 10x7 at $199?  

If you already have a Simplex, pick up an SP24 coil AND a Pulsedive that connects to your headphones fIr around the same price?

Wait for one to come up lightly used for nearly half the price?

• Like 2

Vanquish would make more sense for parks than the Nox with a $219  coil. I would think the Nox with a 7x10 is better suited for prospectors than coin shooters. Trashy areas they already have the 6" coil.

• Like 5

I would choose the Vanquish 340 because you get a detector instead of a single coil , So you have a backup machine or you can lend it to friends etc . And the 340 is an excellent detector btw ..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Good advice.

That vanquish 7by 10 coil would have made a great water hunting coil for the nox.It would have good coverage,good depth and it would cut through the water better then the 11''.It would also be  lighter for those hunting the  dry sand where a lighter machine means less pain with ample coverage still available.

• Like 3

Since I own a Vanqush 340 / -238euro / with V10 and V8 coils,..... I admit that I ask myself this question every day ... I decided to wait first for the first tests of the 5X10 "Coiltek coil / -237 euro / ... and because these coils they have to come to Europe in the middle of April .. there is enough time to evaluate the properties of the new 5X10 "coil  /Equinox/..

I think Gold prospectors will not hesitate too much with a pile of 5x10 "Coiltek coils ... because for them it's a working tool ..

For an ordinary detectorist, however, deciding on the purchase of a new coil at the introductory price of 237 euros will be so simple .. it will not be ..

• Like 5

What are the USA MAP prices for the three Minelab manufactured Equinox coils, $180, $230, $240?  (I had trouble finding a price on the 11".)  The $220 for the new Coiltek seems to fit in there OK.

I'm going to go contrarian with the coil over the bottom-of-the-line ML Vanquish.   I actually was contemplating similarly back in the autumn, but since the Coilteks were top secret then I was deciding between a ~5"x10" for my Fisher F75 -- or the Vanquish 340, and the price on the Fisher coils, both their OEM coil and the Eastern European 3rd party ones, aren't as much as the new Coiltek.  But if you compare the three Vanquish models the 340 is way down in features compared to the other two, and the other two are down compared to the Equinox.  I'm so addicted to all the nice tone options you get with the Eqx 800 that I would feel like I was detecting with my left arm tied behind my back, and that's the arm I swing the detector with!

• Like 3

At $220 for the 10X5" Coiltek coil for the Equinox and $260 or so for the Vanquish 440 (with an onboard pinpoint function, iron check horseshoe button along with more discrimination segments and another search mode, I would go with the Vanquish 440 over the 340 anytime. I like the 340 but having those four features makes the 440 a much better detector.

I do the same type of math when I think about any aftermarket coil purchase. There are some excellent under $300 detectors available today...... However, I have definitely been there as an owner of the Vanquish 340 and 440 along with the excellent Simplex. Personally I would go with the Coiltek coil as a crazy gold prospector that often gold prospects in areas where the terrain and soil conditions demand a smaller coil than the 11" but I still need more coverage and depth than the 6" coil offers. If it means I can hit a 4 to 6" .5 gram or bigger nugget, great along with being able to squeeze that elliptical coil into places that no other Equinox coil will go.

• Like 8

Lots of good responses.  I knew I was not the only one doing that mental math. 

I found it interesting that nobody suggested/picked the Simplex with the SP24 coil which is similar in size to the Coiltek 10x5 option for the Equinox. I guess the detector/tech behind the coil matters.

My first thought was, is it lighter than the 11” for better balance?  Then the price.  It is not a ton lighter than the 11” and the price was a little sticker shock but I agree it is not out of line when compared to the Minelab coil options.  I have the 6” but probably would have never paid the $179 for it.  I picked one up used locally, barely used, for a great deal.  I don’t really need the 10x5 but could be tempted should I come across a good used deal.

My second thought was I could pick up a Vanquish 340 for cheaper than the coil or maybe even a used 440! With a similar sized DD coil and similar tech behind it I think the 340 is a great value new.  But yes, the 440 does have a few extra features although not sure they are worth the extra $60-70 to me.  The 340 and 440 are both 3 tones I think and it would be nice if they were 5 like one of the Equinox options.  A backup or alternative detector/coil with same VDI scale, same breakpoints and number if tones would be nice.  But even with 3 tones, having the same VDI and nearly as capable detector with a desired coil size is still very tempting.  

• Like 4