Not Sure, Would You Be Happy?

1515Art

Glad Dave was able to make it right with you.  Yes the before pic was stunning gorgeous and what you received was...aye....gold.

He's been around a long time, so he understands the importance of keeping customers happy.

Yes, silver wire wrap really highlights gold.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Glad Dave was able to make it right with you.  Yes the before pic was stunning gorgeous and what you received was...aye....gold.

He's been around a long time, so he understands the importance of keeping customers happy.

Yes, silver wire wrap really highlights gold.

I agree silver and subdued the gold is so bright and shiny it needs contrast, we’ll see what she comes up with.

2 minutes ago, geek4gold said:

What a shame. It was FAR nicer in its natural form for sure. I would have been gutted. It would have been nicer wrapped in 22 carat gold wire. The silver tarnishing doesn't look right to me.

G4G

Yep, now it’s a hard act to follow tough to beat what nature gives us. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, 1515Art said:

So I was killing time eye shopping gold nuggets, I like looking but never buy any until now when I saw what I thought was a really beautiful 29.32g gold nugget pendant. This one was full of character and had a variety of color and texture, the simple silver wire mount cleverly wrapped to hold it securely without solder or permanent attachment the perfect gift for my wife’s birthday. Well, it came in the mail today and for reasons beyond comprehension he decided to clean it. The silver mount I guess melted in the acid, it looks I think much less interesting and the weight is down to 26.2g from it’s natural state at 29.32  a little of that lost fine gold. I’m sure I could return it the seller is very reputable but still like it just not nearly as much, what do you think am I wrong thinking it was much prettier before it was cleaned...should the seller have even done this after posting the pictures in his add?

I'm glad you resolved it, but I want to offer some commentary. I'd not be happy.

If you simply bought this based on a picture, and what you got was not what was pictured, return it for a refund. End of story. For normal purchases, especially of this type, you should get exactly what you paid for. Imagine buying a diamond ring, and it shows up, the diamond is brown. Are you going to keep it? Same thing here. You bought a gemstone with a specific look, you should get that look. It is what you are buying, not just a lump of gold. 

This can also happen if you have a nugget, and want somebody to make it into jewelry. This is an example...

If you have explicit instructions that the nugget not be tampered with in any way, then you need to have "the talk." If you did not issue such instructions, then the jeweler did what he thought best. This is normal unless you insist it not happen.

I had a nice nugget. Natural nuggets have a "rind" of purer gold, due to surface depletion of the silver. It gives them a much richer look. I had a jeweler put a bail on it for a chain, and I asked specifically that he not clean or burnish it.

However, in soldering something to a nugget, discoloration may occur. Or my guy forgot. All I know is when I got that nugget back, I was not happy, and for the same reason. But frankly mine came out looking way better than what happened to this specimen. In my case it was not worth the fight, and any nugget worn as a pendant will eventually wear that surface rind away anyway.

The key to any redress is there have been explicit instructions, hopefully in writing. If not, there is not much you can do. Most jewelers might do the same, so he can't be said to have gone outside norms.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Not Sure, Would You Be Happy?

I just want to say thanks to everyone for the comments, I had no doubt the seller would make good I just needed to accept it and move on, thanks for the opportunity to think clearly out loud. As was said “what’s done is done” it’s not bad just different and I wish every problem in life was this simple.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, madtuna said:

He’s also ripped you off 3 grams

He’s a good guy just an honest mistake on his add, he will make good.

• Like 2