For The Price Of The Apex?

For the moment my Apex is back at Garretts because of a false signals issue ( see the corresponding thread ). So I cannot say I am happy with it ... I know I am not the only one with this issue ... So at the moment my rating is closer to 0 than 10 ...  🤨 

This might change when I get back the machine , I will redo all my testing procedure at this time and let you know . 

• Sad 2

Quite a good APEX test on a larger RAIDER coil ..

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 8:18 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

Compared to the AT Gold or the AT Max, I would choose either of them over the APEX.

Can you explain why you'd take an AT Max over the Apex, but not the AT Pro (sans waterproofing) over the Apex?

On 2/5/2021 at 3:24 PM, Dances With Doves said:

How would you rate it's performance for the places and way you like to hunt so far at a scale of 0-10  ?  10 being the highest.  

On a scale of '0' to '10' I rate the Apex a solid '30.'

How did I get '30' you wonder?  Simple, I have three of the Apex Z-Lynk package in my personal detector outfit, so '10' X 3 = '30'. :smile: 

For my grab-and-go set-up to handle most day-to-day hunting locations, I keep the really nice 5X8 DD 'Ripper' coil mounted full-time on my main-use Apex.  My #2 Apex I grab when I work more open, sparser-target places, such as a wide-open park, a beach, or a plowed field.  That unit keeps the 'Raider' coil mounted which is their 8½X11 DD.  Apex #3 is ready-to-grab when i get into tight vegetation, rocks, building rubble, or very debris-filled locations where smaller-is-better, and that unit sports the NEL 'Sharp' 5" DD coil.

I'll add here that I really hope Garrett can find a way to offer their 4½" Concentric coil designed to work on the Apex.  I've had very good results with that coil in the past with other Garrett models.

As I stated, all three Apex devices are 'complete Z-Lynk packages.'  That is, all three have their own MS-3 wireless headphones paired to them, and all three have their own Z-Lynk AT Pro-Pointer as well.  I don't like to take time afield and change search coils, so since the early '70s I have preferred to keep different detectors with me that have different coils mounted for different tasks at-hand.

Winter crept in and hampered my ability to get out as much as I wanted, and then I have been dealing with a bad case of this Covid 19 stuff and recovering from that, but I really like the physical packaging, the ample, yet simple, settings and mode design of the Apex, and performance for me has been very satisfying.  And I have put my units against a variety of other makes and models I have had or currently own in my detector group.

A mistake I feel Garrett made was tagging the 'Ace' name to the Apex.  It is not an Ace series in any way and stands alone, right now, as an impressive sole-member of the 'Apex series.'  I did have a noisy behavior issue with one of my first two units, but a quick call and it was off to Garrett where they took care of it and got it back to me quickly, and working fine.

Monte

• Like 2

On 2/7/2021 at 10:45 AM, mh9162013 said:

Can you explain why you'd take an AT Max over the Apex, but not the AT Pro (sans waterproofing) over the Apex?

I'm not Jeff, but I would also take the AT Max over the AT Pro.  Why?  The AT Max offers a Threshold-based All Metal mode and the AT Pro and Apex do not have a true All Metal mode.  Also, I only had short use of a borrowed AT Max but I liked its performance over the AT Pro I compared it with.

Monte

• Like 3

That’s a Whites 66 TR and a great machine for the time.

I later gave mine to a friend and he done a mod on the battery hookup . I bought it around 71 and that detector still works.

Chuck 

11 minutes ago, Monte said:

I'm not Jeff, but I would also take the AT Max over the AT Pro.  Why?  The AT Max offers a Threshold-based All Metal mode and the AT Pro and Apex do not have a true All Metal mode.  Also, I only had short use of a borrowed AT Max but I liked its performance over the AT Pro I compared it with.

Monte

Thanks Monte. What you say largely parallels what Jeff told via PM.

3 hours ago, Monte said:

...I really like the physical packaging, the ample, yet simple, settings and mode design of the Apex, and performance for me has been very satisfying.  And I have put my units against a variety of other makes and models I have had or currently own in my detector group.

Is there a particular kind of detecting you do that would make you lean towards the Apex as your first choice?  I seem to recall you've said in other posts that the N/M CoRe and Relic and the Tesoro's get priority in some situations, but that was before the Apex was released, I think.

my local detector dealer told me the Apex uses a built in lithium battery and a replacement costs a bunch of moola if it ever goes bad? He doesn't like them for that reason alone. Is this an issue or not?   Main reason I decided not to buy one.

-Tom V.