Identification Help Please!

Hi all!

I found this with my metal detecting pinpointer in a park here in the UK. It was just beneath the soil (about an inch down). I couldn't believe the strength of the signal given how tiny it is (maybe 4mm on the longest side). I initially thought it was iron or lead but after closer inspection - I have absolutely no idea!

It's 0.24g, and doesn't react at all to a very strong neodymium magnet. It does however make my pinpointer scream from an inch away! Any ideas?

Cheers,
John

MetalRock.jpg

It reminds me of some aluminum foil that someone had thrown onto a fire to burn.

Other than that I have no idea, sorry.

Good luck on finding out what it is.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys! Visually - I see what you mean regarding melted aluminium but I think it's probably too heavy. Could very well be copper although I thought it might be greener? I honestly don't know enough about this subject so filing it is a good idea!

21 hours ago, SlowFrog said:

It's 0.24g, and doesn't react at all to a very strong neodymium magnet. It does however make my pinpointer scream from an inch away!

Do you have a standard discriminating metal detector you can check the digital Target ID (gTID) with and report back?  Also, what is the pinpointer you are using?  That red color seems odd&interesting to me, as that color isn't typical among common naturally occurring materials, in my experience.  And even if man-made I don't think it's common, particularly if this has been exposed to (or created from) high heat.

More data needed!