Uk Gpx 6000

zdsdead

Hi, my first post, from a long time lurker.

I'm from the UK, so obviously gold is pretty scarce here, although there's some in Scotland, and Wales?. Anyway in the past I've owned a Garrett ATX, while my detecting buddy has owned a Gpx 5000. 

We used these for relics, mostly in hunted out pasture, here in England. We are both very interested in getting our hands on a new gpx 6000, but the prices for previous minelab machines are way above what you pay in the USA for example.  the gpz 7000 is around £8000 here which equates to more or less $11000 ! 

If the new gpx 6000 is roughly $6000. that's £4500 . im sure that the retail price in the UK is going to be above £6000. !

I was wondering does anyone know of anybody who has imported a machine from the USA to the UK, and what costs are involved?

Many Thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zdsdead said:

Hi, my first post, from a long time lurker.

I'm from the UK, so obviously gold is pretty scarce here, although there's some in Scotland, and Wales?. Anyway in the past I've owned a Garrett ATX, while my detecting buddy has owned a Gpx 5000. 

We used these for relics, mostly in hunted out pasture, here in England. We are both very interested in getting our hands on a new gpx 6000, but the prices for previous minelab machines are way above what you pay in the USA for example.  the gpz 7000 is around £8000 here which equates to more or less $11000 ! 

If the new gpx 6000 is roughly $6000. that's £4500 . im sure that the retail price in the UK is going to be above £6000. !

I was wondering does anyone know of anybody who has imported a machine from the USA to the UK, and what costs are involved?

Many Thanks 

Hello, I have sold other expensive electronic items and software to people in the UK on EBay,  and they had to pay their VAT fees, which still appear to be 20%.

https://www.gov.uk/vat-rates

I don’t know how the Minelab warranty or Minelab pricing would work for you buying a US unit, but to lower your overall VAT cost, negotiate a lower price on the unit with the dealer for a discount- invite them for a hoard hunt in England, they may take you up on it!  Steve likes that type of outing, perhaps others here will too! 😉

1 hour ago, Redz said:

At that price difference I would buy it abroad, have the dealer training on the goldfields, have a bit of a holiday finding gold. Then fly back via Spain.

Voila

And claim the VAT before flying back to the UK :minelab: i forgot how much you could claim back when i went OZ

RR

Importing from the US will cost you: ( in addition to the item cost and postage charges )
9% import duty on the item price
20% VAT on ( item price PLUS postage charge )
£8 British Pounds fee charged by the Post Office for handling the VAT/duty money.

Then there's the other stuff related to exchange rates, ie there's actually two rates, bid and offer, and the 'headline figure' is the average of the two.  And how you choose to pay matters, PayPal / credit card etc.

A quick calculation indicates 6000 Dollars becomes 5750 Pounds.

5 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Hello, I have sold other expensive electronic items and software to people in the UK on EBay,  and they had to pay their VAT fees, which still appear to be 20%.

https://www.gov.uk/vat-rates

I don’t know how the Minelab warranty or Minelab pricing would work for you buying a US unit, but to lower your overall VAT cost, negotiate a lower price on the unit with the dealer for a discount- invite them for a hoard hunt in England, they may take you up on it!  Steve likes that type of outing, perhaps others here will too! 😉

Lol all though the uk might seem like the promised land, relics wise, true hoards are a rare find indeed! 

I'm a site finder at my local club, and when we go out if someone finds a hammered coin its been a decent day. At peak season (harvest time) when the ground has been cultivated this usually goes up to double figures. On a normal, run of the mill, club day everyone finds coins from Georgian (1700s) up to present day with the odd, older pieces thrown in. We usually  have a couple of weekend rallies, during August/September  but dates are not known until generally a month or so before, so would be no good for a lot of the people from the usa. I could invite a couple of guests if truly interested though. Maybe we could do an exchange trip, and visit some places were we might get gold !

Many thanks for the replies guys, its given me much food, for,  thought 

• Like 2

As a dealer for Minelab, I can assure you that we are not allowed to ship outside of the country.  But I do know of ways you can get one, but it will still cost more than the US price.

When I did a prospecting trip to Australia years ago, after the hunt, I sold one of my detectors to a well known nugget hunter.  I always take 2 on a trip in case one goes down.  Yes you would have expected the luggage on the way back to be the same weight, but since I have all the gold in the suitcase, it equaled out.

The other things I have done to help my customers outside of the country in years past.  You come to USA on a vacation to go gold prospecting or meteorite hunting with a cheap used detector, then when its time to go home, take the new GPX-6000 out of the box, toss some cow dung on it and most inspectors won't even tough it.

Last, is to have one of your friends/relatives coming to the USA and have them get one and either ship it to you, or take it back themselves.  But dealers can not ship new units outside of US.  Now used ones, most certainly we can.

I just thought of this one.  I used to take groups to Colchester, England on metal detecting tours and I imagine, if you paid them a few bucks, they would take one over for you.

Either way, I wish you luck in your hunts.  That was one of my favorite detecting trips for a few years.

PhotoEng.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1