GPZ And GPX Pricing Compared

Although I like the nice package the 6000 comes in Im stickimg with my 5k reason being is I like being in control of most if not all the settings and like having a big choice of coils and other things for it.The 6k might be like the 7k with minelab not offering any coil options-only time will tell just my thoughts :ph34r:

• Like 3

The only coil I would like to see other than the three we already know about would be something smaller than the 11" round, but that is nowhere near a deal killer for me. An 8" round or 6x10 elliptical though, would be nice.

I to this day think that if a person was going to be dropped at random locations worldwide, and wanted to be ready for anything, a GPX 5000 with a good coil complement is my choice. The machine can tackle anything you throw at it. GPZ obviously beats it in many ways, but in certain basalt bomb or salt locations, the GPZ can be difficult at best. Fine Gold or Salt settings with proper coils on a GPX 5000 can make quick work of those very difficult locations. It is an effective coin, relic, and beach detector, which is proof positive of it's versatility. I do not see that changing.

Almost zero doubt also that GPZ is still top dog, especially for those who have some aftermarket coils. SDC is still more compact and fully submersible. The 6000 does not absolutely replace any of them from what I can see. It is just another choice from Minelab. Nobody has to justify staying with or preferring to get one of the other models - they all have their place in my opinion. Heck, some will be happier with a Equinox 800 or Gold Monster! :smile:

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Mike C... said:

Although I like the nice package the 6000 comes in Im stickimg with my 5k reason being is I like being in control of most if not all the settings and like having a big choice of coils and other things for it.The 6k might be like the 7k with minelab not offering any coil options-only time will tell just my thoughts :ph34r:

Funny, when manipulating the controls on my GPX, the last thing I feel like is "in control" :laugh: Way too many settings with very little information provided regarding the underlying tradeoffs.  You make a good point, however, regarding coil selection although it seems that ML is coming out with at least 3 coils out of the box with 2 included in a set.  I am intrigued by the EMI cancelation scheme employed by ML with the 14" DD.  Is it going to be  more optimized than the GPX 5K cancellation scheme with less of a depth penalty?

• Like 5

I’m one of Gerry’s older customers trading in the GPZ for the 6000. Lighter, ergonomic, and no wires, bungee and harness for this 64 y.o. nugget hunter. 😀

Bill

• Like 3

Well Minelab may not be be the best communicator in the world but they sure know how to listen to their customers (existing and potential) - which is what the successful companies and sales people are good at.

"Fun", "Ergonomics", "Light Weight", "Stability", "Ease of Use" would have all been on a white board when the GPX6000 developers went to the Minelab accountants and asked for a bucket load of money to have a  revolutionary  rather than evolutionary change to the GPX product - I'm sure there would have been push back to this proposal and would have required some strong leadership to get this project over the line.

Reviewing Codan's latest P&L shows they are currently in a very favorable financial position  - no debt and about $100M AUD ($75M US) as cash in the bank. So expect to see more product development in the future (unless they have a change in policy) and enjoy the ride.

• Like 4

Steve, I’ve heard $7k for the 6000, is that price you quoted for sure?   Currently thinking of selling to upgrade and need to figure out my price margins based on good numbers...🤑

The dollar is dropping.  I think the price will open at one price and then within a year the price will go up.

42 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Steve, I’ve heard $7k for the 6000, is that price you quoted for sure?   Currently thinking of selling to upgrade and need to figure out my price margins based on good numbers...🤑

You mean the price of $6000 quoted on the many dealer websites that are now taking pre-orders? Yes, that is the price.

The detector I think is Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price of $7499, and dealers may charge up to that if they wish. The Minimum Advertised Price is $6000, which is the lowest price that can be quoted in advertising. However, price fixing is illegal, and once you engage a dealer in conversation, they may legally sell the detector for whatever they want. That’s pretty much the same with most major manufacturers. They control the advertising, but they can’t directly control the final sales price.

Dealers can and will charge more than $6000 if an extreme shortage develops. Some dealers were selling the GPX 4500 for over $10,000 back when the Africa gold rush first took off. Don’t think it can’t happen again, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with charging full MSRP. Anything over that, however, is price gouging in my opinion.

https://www.consumerreports.org/online-shopping/why-do-i-have-to-put-an-item-in-my-digital-shopping-cart-to-see-the-price/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1