Best Aftermarket Coil

Bavarian, 

"Best" coil is at best, a subjective opinion of who uses it, and where, how, and in what soil conditions they are used!

With my G2+, i have a Detech 13" Ultimate DD!, a Nel Snake 6.5×3.5, and of course the stock coil that came with the unit! Each have there place in the types of places i detect! My soils (Florida) are fairly mild, compared to others on this forum! But your on the right track! 

Sometimes, it may be cheaper to buy a detector package, that comes with multiple coils! Than to buy aftermarket coils individually, for an older model! Again, it's subjective! 

Good luck!👍👍

• Like 5

I agree with Joe D ...
..If you want the best depth, then 13 "Detech Ultimate, ..if you want the best separation .so is the coil 3.5" x6.5 "Nel Snake ...

• Like 2

Thanks for your thoughts, I was thinking about getting a Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Pro for a simple detector. I already have 15 detectors- a Minelab GPX-4000, Minelab Quattro, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Vanquish 540, Minelab Eureka Gold, Makro Gold Racer, Makro Racer 2, Nokta FORS Relic, Fisher Goldstrike, Fisher Goldbug 2, White's MX-Sport, White's DFX 300, White's TDI SL, Whites VX3 and Bounty Hunter Platinum- I need another detector, like I need another hole in my head!

Is the BH Time Ranger Pro similar to the Gold Bug?

I have a couple of Nels and a Mars. Love the Superfly, fantastic coil but is on the thin side. Mars is very stable and rock solid. Couple buddies have the Detech Ultimates and love them.

What kind of hunting? Coin shooting or relic, jewelry?

Wow Bavarian,

You might have led with that information!😂  I would have tailored my information accordingly! You detector hound you!! 🤣👍👍

On 2/6/2021 at 8:11 PM, kac said:

Is the BH Time Ranger Pro similar to the Gold Bug?

On 2/6/2021 at 8:20 PM, Bavarian said:

It is the exact detector as the Fisher Goldbug Pro, exact an upgraded model (more features).

'Exact' is not the right word since there are some features that are different.  Here is the progression of feature richness:

(21st Century) Fisher Gold Bug -- stock coil is the 5" closed DD.  Has Ground Grab but not manual ground balance option.

Fisher Gold Bug Pro -- stock coil is the 5" closed DD.  Teknetics G2 -- different shaft but otherwise equivalent -- stock coil the 7"x11" open DD.  These have manual ground adjustment as well as Ground Grab.  (I think there is one more subtle difference, but I can't remember it.)

Fisher F19 -- effectively comes with choice of coils these days -- original package has 5"x10" closed DD.  More recently you can get it with (just) the 7"x11" open DD.  Equivalent is the Teknetics G2+ which comes with 7"x11" open DD.  (They do have different shafts.)  There are a couple key performance differences with the previous Pro and G2 (no plus sign).  One is that the tone break isn't locked to the threshold discriminate.  There is also some kind of volume adjustment, I think.  Last year or so First Texas introduced the (blue!) Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Pro which as the same features as the F19 and G2+.  It also comes stock with the 7"x11" open DD.

Fisher (who seems to be emulating car companies -- slight difference in models, including decoration) also had (maybe still have) other package options such as the Gold Bug Pro packaged with both 5" closed DD and 5"x10" closed DD as well as a model they called the Gold Bug DP (exactly 😁 the same as the Pro) which came stock with the 7"x11" open DD.

I'm sure I have a few details either missed or incorrectly stated.  See Steve's database or go to the First Texas webpages to get more accurate reports.

As far as coils, it depends upon mutiple things, especially usage.  And without carefully designed in-ground target comparisons (test garden results in actual field results) you will see many different opinions as to which and whose (First Texas OEM or Eastern European 3rd party) coil is best.  Just make sure to get a coil that was made and marketed specifically for these models.  (There are exceptions but you're rolling the dice, IMO.  Just because a coil 'works' on a detector doesn't mean it works optimally.)

Now, for some advice you didn't ask for:  getting one of these detectors given all the ones you already own!  This Gold Bug family operates at 19 kHz frequency.  I see one detector on your list (and maybe there are more, oh, yes, the Equinox has a 20 kHz single frequency setting) that operates at a similar frequency -- the Minelab X-Terra 705 which (with proper choice of coil) operates at 18.75 kHz.  And there are several coils (OEM and 3rd party) you can get to run it at that frequency.

I really like my Gold Bug Pro and have multiple coils, but it's been replaced by others (latest one is the ML Eqx 800 which I see you have).  You mention 'simple to operate' and the Gold Bug family is, but so are many complicated (meaning lots of features/settings) detectors if you just "set and forget".

• Like 3

On 2/6/2021 at 7:31 PM, Bavarian said:

Thanks for your thoughts, I was thinking about getting a Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Pro for a simple detector. I already have 15 detectors- a Minelab GPX-4000, Minelab Quattro, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Vanquish 540, Minelab Eureka Gold, Makro Gold Racer, Makro Racer 2, Nokta FORS Relic, Fisher Goldstrike, Fisher Goldbug 2, White's MX-Sport, White's DFX 300, White's TDI SL, Whites VX3 and Bounty Hunter Platinum- I need another detector, like I need another hole in my head!

I have a lot of detectors too, more than I need.  But several serve specialized purposes (which I call gaps) that are not covered by the other detectors or are just ergonomically a joy to use. 

I recently picked up a new G2+ at less than $300.  The reason being that it has a killer All Metal mode without any signal processing and the price, operating frequency, and ergonomics were hard to pass up.  At 19 khz, it is geared towards shallow to medium depth, smallish, mid-conductive targets.  I wrestled with getting a larger coil for it (e.g., the 13" Ultimate), but in the end saw no point in doing so (at least not solely for the G2+, but hey, it will work on my Omega 8500 too, so what's not to like).  The detector is just not going to go super deep regardless and the bigger coil will just pick up more ground mineralization noise in the places where I usually hunt, except for the beach, which would give it good coverage. 

As far as simplicity is concerned, GB Amateur already hit on this, it doesn't get much simpler than the Equinox or Simplex once you have the preset you use most set up.  So I definitely did not get the G2+ for simplicity, despite the fact that it is indeed simple to operate.  Like many FT machines, it is a good machine from an ergonomics and user interface standpoint, as I mentioned previously.  

Getting back to your original question, the answer, as stated before, is "it depends".  Do you want/need depth (in which case I question a TR Pro purchase in the first place), coverage (perhaps the Detech Ultimate 13 or Mars Tiger 13x10 - provided you are not dealing with hot ground), or separation (Nel Snake, Mars Sniper).  You've got the recommendations on the coi,  But you shouldn't be asking "what coil?" but "why the BH TR Pro? - or any detector for that matter."   You need to justify what the TR Pro is really bringing to the table other than the typical detectorist OCD urge to get a shiny new toy (I speak from experience) in view of all those other detectors you already own.  Good luck.

• Like 3