The Quest Q60

Soky72

I owned a Quest Q40 for three months, during the Equinox roll out. The Q40 is an excellent single frequency detector with some great features. Head to head between the Q40 and Equinox 600 in my moderate to highly mineralized dirt it was no contest, period, which is not a surprise. The Equinox 600 in Park and Field modes using multi frequency, out performed the Q40 in every possible way.  There is nothing about the Q60's specifications that would lead me to believe the results would be any different in a comparison with the Equinox where I often detect. The Equinox will out perform any single frequency detector in my dirt unless the target is a non-ferrous target at less than 4" in a thick bed of iron trash and the Equinox is a very good detector in that situation too.  I also had a Deus and using 14kHz on the Deus, the results were very similar between the Q40 and the Deus except for target separation, recovery speed and ergonomics which the Deus won easily. Compared to a Teknetics T2 or a Fisher F70 or F75...........I prefer the Q40 since it had just as much overall speed, comparable depth and much better target ID stability than the T2, F70 and the F75.

Like others who have posted, I own three different configurations of the Quest wireless headphones/tranmsitters. I also own the over the ear headphones for the Deus WS4 module which is my absolute favorite way to use wireless audio with the Deus. I prefer them over the WS5 headphone system the WS4 back phones and any other aftermarket headphones that will  accept the WS4 controller module. I have never had a problem with these Quest audio products and two are over 4 years old with hundreds of hours of use. So I am a big fan of Quest. I wish they had not infringed on FTPs patents repeatedly.

• Like 7

For clarification the Q20, Q40, and Quest Pro have been out a few years and the Q30 and Q60 other than profile and look are completely different re-enginnered detectors or so I've gathered on Quest groups. The naming system is confusing as the Q30 might be a better detector than the old Quest Pro and none may perform well in bad dirt thats yet to be seen. The interesting thing is if the Q30 and Q60 are like the Nox 600 and 800 or GPX 4500 and 5000 in that there's no difference in power. Then the Q30 at 14kHz field might be the ultimate value for Civil War relics. Think of a deeper, faster, waterproof, Bluetooth, T2. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

... The Equinox will out perform any single frequency detector in my dirt unless the target is a non-ferrous target at less than 4" in a thick bed of iron trash and the Equinox is a very good detector in that situation too. ...

Small coins at less than 4" in thick bed of iron trash are a very frequent situation over here in Europe , however people here use monofreqs detectors like the Deus/Orx or Tesoros, rather than multifreqs machines like the Equinox . I think because multifreqs are slower than monofreq machines due to longer calculation time , and reactivity is the key on iron trashed areas. 

However these situations are very specific to Europe with very old grounds with thousands of nails , pottery, and so on ... And on these terrains the Quests with a medium or small sized coil could do a good job , again I will try to get a X10 or Q30 to do some more testing ...

• Like 2

So, in summation, we need to shoehorn a Nox 800 into a Quest shell, that is sufficiently waterproof! With a smaller, lighter aftermarket coil, that is absent of coil ear breakage!

Wow! The perfect detector!!🤣

MineLab! How about a financial and technical collaboration!👍👍

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, palzynski said:

Small coins at less than 4" in thick bed of iron trash are a very frequent situation over here in Europe , however people here use monofreqs detectors like the Deus/Orx or Tesoros, rather than multifreqs machines like the Equinox . I think because multifreqs are slower than monofreq machines due to longer calculation time , and reactivity is the key on iron trashed areas.

Do you mean when the Equinox is in multifrequency (only), or does your comment also apply to when it is in its various single frequencies?  Also, if/when the Equinox was tested/run in multifrequency, were you running the highest recovery speeds (7 or even 8)?  (To clarify/confirm for all readers, the Equinox Recovery Speed adjustment is available for the single frequencies, unlike the Iron Bias adjustment which is only available in multifrquency.)

Finally, you've grouped Deus/ORX and Tesoros in the same category here.  Does that mean the Tesoros (which ones?) have recovery speed performance as good as the Deus/ORX?

(I'm not being contentious, just want to understand what and why.)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Do you mean when the Equinox is in multifrequency (only), or does your comment also apply to when it is in its various single frequencies?  Also, if/when the Equinox was tested/run in multifrequency, were you running the highest recovery speeds (7 or even 8)?  (To clarify/confirm for all readers, the Equinox Recovery Speed adjustment is available for the single frequencies, unlike the Iron Bias adjustment which is only available in multifrquency.)

Finally, you've grouped Deus/ORX and Tesoros in the same category here.  Does that mean the Tesoros (which ones?) have recovery speed performance as good as the Deus/ORX?

(I'm not being contentious, just want to understand what and why.)

Actually I mainly used my Equinox in Multi, this for max depth on small and big targets on low/medium iron trashed areas .  Monofreq I already have a Deus HF that can run from 14 to 50khz , which is 500grams lighter than the Equinox a huge difference in terms of ergonomy. So I have no real interest using an Equinox running in monofreq for what I am doing .

Yes I have tested faster recovery speeds on the Equinox , but even at 7 or 8 it is outperformed ( for me ) by a Deus/Orx running at 30or 50khz on my very high iron trashed areas ,typically European nail carpets which are very specific and cannot be found elsewhere in the world I think , not at this iron density level anyway ... 

Concerning the Deus/ORX and Tesoros I was thinking to the Lobo ( called Redoutable in France ) which is a very fast detector . But there are other examples , Teknetics like the T2 are G2 are also fast detectors which work very well over here .  

Also it is not only a matter of recovery speed but also of  iron filtering . On ultra trashy areas a Deus is almost silent and only beeps on good targets , like a Tesoro Lobo or Teknetics T2 , it is really impressive...  If I use a ML multifreq like the Equinox or the Vanquish at the same place it is an other story they are very chatty ...  

So usually I use the Deus for high iron trash areas and my Vanquish for lower ones , but I like the Vanquish and I also use it on very trashy areas , as I have years of experience with the ML multifreqs "fluted" tones . My second detector was an Explorer XS that I bought in 2001 , a few years ago ... 🙂

My Explorer XS , north east of France . Summer 2004

IMG_0053.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Has anyone out there done a true head to head with the Q30, Simplex+,  and in English? Are you able to change the tone sounds on the Q30?

They both seem to be a little chatty on the foreign videos?

Boy, If the Vanquish wasn't toy red and ace looking and was waterproof, it would be a no brainier!

3 minutes ago, DOOGY-MD said:

Has anyone out there done a true head to head with the Q30, Simplex+,  and in English?

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2022 at 9:53 PM, DOOGY-MD said:

Has anyone out there done a true head to head with the Q30, Simplex+,  and in English?

I havent done an head to head between the Q30 and the Simplex+ but I know both detectors , I have used them a few hours. They are very similar detectors , monofreq , ip68 to 5m , straight shaft , affordable price.  I prefer the Q30 to the simplex because its raptor 9X11 " stock coil is more compact than the big 11" Simplex+ coil, because it is a little lighter , and because I like the Q30 audio.  Just my opinion for my local conditions , moderately mineralized soil with often high iron trash ...

• Thanks 1