Golden Nuggets, Gems & Gents

15 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Half the fun is meeting people.

I’ve been fortunate in my metal detecting career to find some Gems, both in gold and in Gents.   This industry has been in my family for 40+ years and 25 of it, me being a dealer of detectors.  Yes in that many years of digging lead, I screw up on occasion and find a nugget or two.  But on a really rare occasion I cross paths with a Gem of a detectorist or 2.  (Pic below is Darrell on the left, Pieter in the middle and I holding his book)AZJan21B.thumb.jpg.d624bc699112510c0bcedd2207a5490b.jpg

A few weeks ago I was fortunate to meet two outstanding detectorists, Gems of friends (Darrell & his detecting buddy Pieter).  Heck we hunted meteorites and gold, shared a couple beers & told a story or two around a camp fire.  It’s not often I find someone, let alone 2 guys who’ve been swing a detector longer than I.   But….the fun and highlight of the trip was yet to come and even more precious than the gold/meteorites I dug. 

The last night and after Darrell had left (I wish he would have stayed).  I was able sit down and listen/hear/dream of Pieter Heydelaar and his memories shared of the early gold hunts in Australia with his wife and the pounds of patches they recovered with early day VLF detectors.

Pic below is Lunk and Darrell.  Check out that fine 2 room camp tent.

AZJan21C.thumb.jpg.c50aedda2897c8f4e37a11477d3cbf5a.jpg

Having Darrell and Pieter in the same camp as I, around the fire, and in the field swinging side by side was just amazing. Boy I sure found a couple true treasures and well worth more than all the gold & space rocks I found.  I have to give credit where credit due, so Thank you Mr. Lunk for putting this special hunt together and a few days in the field with some fine Gems & Gents. 

For those who are interested in prospecting Southern California and Arizona, I was able to purchase a dozen of Pieter’s book “Successful Nugget Hunting”, Volume #1.  What I like about this book is the pretty detailed map and directions to some of his gold producing sites, which he describes and shares.  The book is $17, but I only have 10 left.

A special thanks goes out to Chef Rusty as well.  His outstand chauffeur service, accommodating lodging and fine dining were top notch again.  After all, what are friends for.  (Pic below is Lunk on left, Pieter in the middle and Rusty on right who's mad as I ate the last slice of pie.)

71529934_20210114_183959(2).thumb.jpg.af016e9b4b631321f1c33eb2d196340d.jpg

One thing is for sure.  Even though Darrell & Pieter are 20 yrs (wiser) than I, they are hard hunters...so this young lad got schooled.

That's perfectly fine with me...they earned it.  (pic below is Pieter & Lunk at a meteorite site & the limo.

20210114_101910.thumb.jpg.92207f512f5706dbf8eaeee558f37fbb.jpg

How many of you out there know Pieter and some of his accomplishments in meteorite and gold nugget hunting?  How about some of you Aussies who have been chasing gold down under for many years, I bet some of your stories are just as Golden.

Another great write up Gerry! Darrell has a very nice rig, I like his solution on where to put the solar panel. I’m going to have to try that out on my truck, been head scratching about where to put it for awhile.

PM sent for a book order, thank you!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jim McCulloch said:

Gerry, glad to learn that Pieter is alive and still chasing gold. Seeing him brought back fond memories of the old "Treasure" magazine gang, Pieter, Ken Doe, Jim Williams, George Mrzkowski, Jimmy Sierra, Woody Woodworth...

You bring up some utmost outstanding MD'erists names.  Some are legends swinging high above and a couple are walking legends still here with us.  I detected England with a few of those heavyweights and they were dang good.

You know Jim, your name should just as easily be part of this group.  But I'll make sure it's the part still walking among us.  Thanks for the flashback down memory lane.

The picture is Jimmy Sierra and I in England over 20 yrs ago.

JSGM.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Another great write up Gerry! Darrell has a very nice rig, I like his solution on where to put the solar panel. I’m going to have to try that out on my truck, been head scratching about where to put it for awhile.

PM sent for a book order, thank you!

The panel tilts out as needed and is removable to place in the sun while I park in the shade, utilizing a 30 ft. extension cord.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

The panel tilts out as needed and is removable to place in the sun while I park in the shade, utilizing a 30 ft. extension cord.

Good to see you on here Darrell.  I know guys like you are hard to come across and especially ones (you) that has been detecting friends with Pieter for so many years.  Would love to see you post on here a little more and or at least share some of your experiences throughout the 50 yrs you have been swinging detectors.

If anyone needs the best Camp Fire Master, Darrell is the best.  He always made sure there was plenty of wood, flame and heat to go around.

Thanks for allowing us to hear a couple of your stories/experiences Darrell and I look forward to more in the future.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hobo said:

Thank you Darrell for replying with that suggestion, I appreciate it!  Look forward to reading your book I ordered from Gerry.  I just started out with prospecting less than a year ago, but have had a lot of help from some fantastic people who have also become good friends now. 🙂

I would love to talk with Pieter. We have a dear friend in common. He is the root of the reason I hit the gold fields. If anyone can get me in touch with him I would be so appreciative. My friends name was Warren Weatherly. He died in a construction accident.

22 hours ago, Walker said:

I would love to talk with Pieter. We have a dear friend in common. He is the root of the reason I hit the gold fields. If anyone can get me in touch with him I would be so appreciative. My friends name was Warren Weatherly. He died in a construction accident.

You might reach out to Hobo, who posted above.  He is Pieter's detecting buddy.