Vintage Metal Detector Treasure Hunt

I guess my Gary Storm sword isn’t old enough so I will start going to the gym for this beast. Also I will start a go fund me page for the 7 - 9 volt batteries that I can’t remember their run time. I’m a beach hunter so TR mode it is. Bought this one spring of 83. 

91544DDE-93F8-4C96-B402-46F83B37429F.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

A little bump to remind anyone trying this 'challenge' that the hunt has officially started. I don't have time to to sort out my old Whites machine, so I'll have to wait until the next such hunt. Maybe a winter hunt next, for those of us who find hot dry summers rather impractical, and softer wet ground more appealing.

I've always wanted a vintage detector and never been able to get my hands on one, I've always got my eyes open but missed a couple for sale, perhaps one day I'll get my hands on one.  My closest is a Fisher Gold Bug 2 🙂

Still, it is a good idea. The older machines should be remembered & more widely known about. I think it helps us better use & understand what is current in detectors and that the operator is still the key to success. Maybe keep the hunt open ended?

• Like 2

On 6/12/2021 at 11:06 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I was too busy, but I also am not looking to compete with people. I thought it would be more we go use the old machines, show what we found. No losers, everyone wins. I’m still going to do it at some point anyway.

Exactly how it was stated, if we would of had a good registration number of detectorists, I would have been able to get a bunch of prizes from a major detector manufacturer. Since only 5 of us signed up..... Oh well.

But, still would make a great topic to go out and use an old detector and show what you found.

I guess what I am saying is I think prizes adds a competitive aspect that in my case I generally avoid. Not saying anyone here would do it, but once prizes are involved it changes things. I’d do it just for fun, not to win. Prizes add that gotta win aspect. But that’s just a thing I have. I always sit prize type hunts out, just a habit I developed long ago. Whenever I’ve been at hunts like that, my preference has always been for others to win the prizes, so I don’t compete.

Truly moot in my case as life just grabbed me by the scruff of the neck, and my year is already out of time it seems.