Anyone up for a two weekend Vintage Metal Detector treasure hunt? It would be from one Sat thru the Weekdays and ending the following Sunday. You must dedicate yourself to using a vintage detector(s) at any location(s) of your choice.  BFO, TR, IB, OR, VLF/TR type. You will post all of your finds found using the detector(s) you used.   All based on the honor system. It would show folks that vintage detectors are still alive and kicking finding treasure. If there's interest. I will work up a hunt.

Date probably June or July.

Detector would have to be no newer than 1985?

• Like 7

Great idea! I’m in as long as I’m in town at the time. I would be using a 1970s era White’s Goldmaster Alaskan (the one in the bottom of this ad).

whites-goldmaster-coinmaster-alaskan-1976-metal-detectors.jpg

• Like 3

Steve, My first detector (1975) was the one on the top of the ad. I traded  a saxophone for it to a guy with a brain tumor that couldn't go out detecting but thought he might learn to play the sax. Looking back I think we both made a poor deal, except it got me into a great hobby.  

• Like 4

I owned all three. Started with the Coinmaster 4 in 1972, got the Goldmaster big box next (same circuit board in larger box!:laugh:), and had the Alaskan somewhere along the way. My old White’s distributor gave me an Alaskan years ago (thanks Mary), and I’ve held onto it because, well, I’m an Alaskan! And it ties me back to my beginnings with Whites all those years ago. I became a dealer as a teenager in 1976, so Whites and I go way back.

I will get some good photos of my machine and post soon as a new thread.

• Like 2

I don't own any pre-'85 detectors anymore except for my first machine (a Treasure Probe IV that I bought in 1970), and it doesn't work anymore. The old White's Coin Master, 4900. 6000 Di Pro, Compass 77, Ground Hog, etc were all sold or used as trade ins years ago. My oldest now is my good 'ol Whites Eagle II SL90. Good luck in your hunts guys! 

I would have to get my Dad's D Tex BFO fixed!

This sounds like a blast!  Unfortunately I traded out my Tesoro Silver Sabre for the Silver Sabre micro-Max.  If I can get my hands on a pre-85 Tesoro... I am definitely "in".  

Tim.

16 minutes ago, Mike_Hillis said:

Oldest one I currently have is the Tesoro Golden Sabre II.   Is that considered Vintage?   I dunno.

HH
Mike

Introduced about 1992

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By mn90403
      If you aren't doing anything in 3 hours you can attend a meteorite lecture!  
      Metamorphism of primitive solar system materials 
      Chondritic meteorites represent the most primitive material in the solar system. These chondrites originate from asteroids that did not reach temperatures high enough to melt. Although they escaped melting, some of these primitive asteroids reached temperatures high enough to induce metamorphism - recrystallization of a rock in a solid state. Unlike Earth, where metamorphism is accompanied by pressure and heat, metamorphism on asteroids is driven only by temperature. This metamorphism results in textural and geochemical changes that provide insight into the thermal and physical evolution of small bodies during the solar system's earliest formation.

https://ucla.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEqduyupj0vGd3S0_52FsbHTbPjYr0sZQUj 
    • By mn90403
      [UCLA Meteorite Gallery] March 2021 Newsletter 
      http://mail.artnet.net/skins/elastic/images/contactpic.svg From UCLA Meteorite Collection <meteorites@ucla.edu> on 04/03/2021 05:49 PM Details Plain text    
    • By Randy Lunn
      The Harquahala Mountains near Salome, Arizona provided a beautiful location for Bill Southern's three-day Patreon outing for those who back his YouTube channel, Nugget Shooter Journals. This was his second Patreon outing of the year. Including Bill and Tammy about a dozen gold hunters attended.
      The long weekend started on Thursday night with Bill giving an engaging talk at the Gold Fever Radio club just south of Salome on Hwy 60. The next few days most people set up their RV's and campers a short drive from the private claims we had access to. I really enjoyed the group, learned a lot and even found a couple of nuggets with my GM 1000, a 1.7 gm solid nugget and a 1.0 gm specie.
      Tammy, aka Nugget Shooterette, who has her own YouTube channel also found a nugget and then made a delicious dinner for all of us on Saturday night. Fantastic.
      Bill and Tammy are fun to be with and very generous with their knowledge of gold and gem prospecting. If you have not seen their channels take a look.
      Happy Hunting,

• By mellifluous17
      Can anyone recommends any really great gold hunting adventures in the USA?  Maybe something like a week guided tour.
    • By nvchris
      UPDATE,
      Ill keep sending out apps, but its likely the few spots are taken and this will be reserving your spot in the wait list Que..
      We have a few Western States Prospecting Association openings available.
      PM me with your email address and Ill send you information and an application.
      Were a limited membership capped at 100 paid members.
      Dues are a family membership for $135 a year, seniors pay $100 after the first year.
      The claims are proven to hold detectable gold with locations in 3 western states CA, NV and AZ.
      Like big gold?
      This one came from one of our NorCal claims!

Chris Porter
      WSPA President 
    • By Jeff McClendon
      Hi,
      This hunt is open to the public and is still scheduled to happen as of March 19, 2020. Hopefully it will not be postponed or cancelled. Jeff