Beginner New Ml600 Detector, Second Dig, 2 Days Ago

What is, if we should, get the dark crust from an old liberty dime to determine date and other details. No scrubbing with steel wool? Acids? Thank you in advance here at this forum for any help you can give.

E3F1E0DA-28F1-48FD-98C9-2E412FA1FA6F.jpeg

• Like 1

I shine a flashlight across the surface under magnification, That can help in some cases. The shadowing will bring out more detail. But sometimes your just stuck without a date. Good Luck!!!

• Like 1

Sulfides really eat up silver! Generally cleaning a crust like that off will take away even more detail! Electrolysis may improve the readability! But don't count on it!

On the plus side, as a special find, it has value as is!

Intrinsically, it's beyond any value beyond the silver weight! But there may be more like it, where that one was found! Hopfully in better condition!

Nice find!! Keep up the hunt!!👍👍

• Like 3

Possible to toss it in a tumbler and might shake off some of the corrosion. Make sure your using a non abrasive media or something softer than the silver like walnut shell. Burnishing media does a good job. Also use a tumbling soap for jewlery.

Soak it overnight in hydrogen peroxide. Just put some in a cap and put the coin it. 

If that doesn't work the last resort would be electrolysis. I found a coin at a railroad station that was solid black. I did electrolysis on it and found out it was a Barber quarter. Wasn't any good only for silver but was nice to know I found a Barber quarter.