The GPZ Is Fragile!

Or they could just keep the detectors in the design phase forever constantly improving and ruggedising them until the end of time!!đŸ„Ž

Edit: This is one of the reasons why I get a bit ‘pissed’ by all the aftermarket coil brand chatter, its always X sized nugget/nuggets were found with X sized/type coil and no mention of the actual detector it was attached to!!đŸ„”Â 

If X type coil was so revolutionary then why doesn’t the coil manufacture make their own electronics to go with said wonder coil? After all the detector manufacturers are doing a really crap job of things!!!

• Like 7

The questions may seem minor in the face of the giant steps in detecting that the company has taken, true. Does that not mean those details have no relevance or meaning? If so, then I defer to you and your opinion.

9 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

The questions may seem minor in the face of the giant steps in detecting that the company has taken, true. Does that not mean those details have no relevance or meaning? If so, then I defer to you and your opinion.

I never said they have no relevance or meaning.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

I see your point of course, I think the only way we can really map out the true state of affairs (the actual of ‘now’ compared to our idea of the ‘ideal’ ) is look back in time and compare to today. The Equinox is a  good example of how far ML as a detector designer has come, go swing an Xterra or an Etrac and then go back to the NOX and you very quickly realise the improvements.

The GPX6000 will be a very fine example of this new trend, but yes there will be niggles and annoyances but overall ML are definitely changing as a company when it comes to ergonomics. Hopefully the effort ML put into their technology continues unabated as well. One thing is for sure there will always be niggles and annoyances, but overall I see a definite trend towards the very positive.

JP

• Like 3

Horses for courses, yes, you can go out and buy the most expensive car, or have the most expensive stuff in your house, but guaranteed you’ll still find something that’s ‘not quite right with it’

I have a GPZ, I’ve got a couple of niggles with it, but it’s not concerning. Mainly comfort (I find the control box handle is a bit to ‘straight’ on the main shaft and irritates my wrist), but I adjust to accomodate. I once managed to get my hands on a Garrett ADS Deepseeker (the same detector that found the ‘Hand of Faith’ nugget) and after hanging onto it for all of 5 minutes, believe me, we’ve come a long way in detection equipment. Many of the older guys, gals and testers will agree to that. 

I don’t know what people are doing to break the feet off the control box or smash batteries off the back of them... I treat mine like a baby and it sits in my car if I’m travelling anywhere with it and lives in a padded bag.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Sheppo said:

I once managed to get my hands on a Garrett ADS Deepseeker (the same detector that found the ‘Hand of Faith’ nugget) and after hanging onto it for all of 5 minutes

Man up😀, just kidding most of us went to a stick and hip mount as a harness & bungee were not thought of then. The 10" coil was the limit for a whole day (10 hours plus ) with out them. 

• Like 1

I think the GPZ screen could be more robust. It easily scratches. Also, the backlight is not sufficient. It's hard to see the display at times, especially with cover on. This would be two points I would find worthwhile improving.

10 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Edit: This is one of the reasons why I get a bit ‘pissed’ by all the aftermarket coil brand chatter, its always X sized nugget/nuggets were found with X sized/type coil and no mention of the actual detector it was attached to!!đŸ„”Â 

If X type coil was so revolutionary then why doesn’t the coil manufacture make their own electronics to go with said wonder coil? After all the detector manufacturers are doing a really crap job of things!!!

I am pretty sure that most, if not all, people who use after market coils & chatter/post on forums of their finds do mention the actual detector used too. Everybody is interested in what others are using & what is working for them both in what detector & what coil combo. More choices & each coil has its own signature on certain size, type & depth of gold. Any thing to get an advantage in the hunt for gold when pickings are getting lean. Even if it is only psychological but gives them a boost in confidence & morale in getting out there with high spirits & enthusiasm. That in itself can lead to success.  

I think we all agree that ML make the best detectors but have fallen a bit short with coil choices for some of their models. None more so than with the GPZ 7000 despite commenting they would make a 10" coil for it that never eventuated.

With the GP & GPX series of detectors numerous outfits made some damn good revolutionary after market wonder coils for them. Of that there is no denying. They didn't need to make the electronics as ML already had the platform for them to work with, & besides, ML has all the patents & copyrights in place to protect those electronics. Now we are seeing it with their coils & chips added to protect their detectors so only their coils can be used.

Personally I don't think for a second that the GPZ is fragile at all. It might be if you throw it under a bus & don't take a bit of care with it. There has been the odd occasion when I have gone to dig a signal, have gone to place the detector on the ground & after unclipping the bungy have gone to grab the arm cuff to lower it gently to the ground. With my eye on the spot where the signal is, have missed grabbing the arm cuff & the detector has dropped to the ground. I cringe & curse at myself for being so foolish & careless. But so far nothing has gone astray with the detector. Touch wood.

Someone made the comment of breaking 37, I think it was, lower shafts. How on earth have you done that? I have had my GPZ for 3 years also & still have the original lower shaft & I am out most weekends so it is well used & in some pretty rough terrain. 

G4G 

• Like 5

I think it's pretty well implied which detector is being used. Besides, we had 5 years of talking about and extolling the virtues of the GPZ, I'm not sure there is much more new to add there. Whereas the coils were a new unknown thing, and thus were the subject of new conversation.

I have to disagree with many here though, certain parts of the GPZ are fragile and should be redesigned. The foot and the battery design among the most often mentioned ones.

The great thing is, looking at the 6000 it does appear that engineers have listened and they not only got rid of the foot and made the bottom wider, but they rubberized the bottom too (it appears?), like you find in high quality power tools. Also following the high quality power tool lead they seem to have used similar new rugged battery insertion schemes there too. So, it's a good thing people mention these issues, they appear to have been addressed and that's a win in my book.

I also have to take slight exception at the amazement someone might drop their GPZ 1 foot. I do it all the time. It should take it. It's a field tool meant for rugged environments. It's not hard to design sensitive electronics to withstand 1 foot drops. I've dropped my phone 10 or 15 times from hip or chest level, no problem, and it's an office tool. Dropped my Hitachi framing nailer from 16 feet onto gravel, no prob. And dropped my Makita's more times than I can count from roofs, ladders, and hips with no issues. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, jasong said:

It's a field tool meant for rugged environments. 

I agree with this.  It should be a rugged field tool, not some dainty POS china garbage.  Especially for the price.  I like my field scars but never abuse is all (like throw it down a cliff on purpose so you don't have to hike it down đŸ€Ł).