The GPZ Is Fragile!

None of those things cost near on 10K and none of them are as sophisticated as the GPZ. 🥴 I too have dropped my GPZ from a foot on a regular basis, but it’s not deliberate and yes they do withstand accidental dropping, a part of my field testing was cringingly doing just that!!. The damage I saw earlier in this thread suggested a far greater impact that just a drop from 1 foot, I’ve never seen damage like that to the battery area and suggests the impact was high velocity for the weight of the battery to sheer off the pin like that!! 

Feet break all the time on my units, especially in the gully country, even with the covers installed and are basically sacrificial, hence the ease of buying replacement parts.

JP

• Like 2

I wonder what it costs Minelab to produce a GPZ? I am sure there is a huge mark up on it at 10k. As sophisticated as it may appear it is just electronic components & wiring. Once worked out probably just printed & pumped out by robots at a dime a dozen. Electronic products these days get cheaper & cheaper. ML have unique products & protects its technology vigorously with patents & copyrights to 'try' to eliminate competition & so can name their own price.

G4G 

45 minutes ago, geek4gold said:

I wonder what it costs Minelab to produce a GPZ? I am sure there is a huge mark up on it at 10k. As sophisticated as it may appear it is just electronic components & wiring. Once worked out probably just printed & pumped out by robots at a dime a dozen. Electronic products these days get cheaper & cheaper. ML have unique products & protects its technology vigorously with patents & copyrights to 'try' to eliminate competition & so can name their own price.

G4G 

It’s not just the manufacturing they’re paying for, it’s the R&D that goes into them aswell. The R&D phase can occur over as long as 5 years (and longer). Something has to pay for that time and money spent.

• Like 1

Well my next big screen super thin wall hanging tv I’m going to demand I pay no more that 50 bucks! After all they’re just electronic bits and pieces thrown together by a few robots

The componentry in the GPZ is all high end/high spec, very close tolerances are required for the tech to work so its not just some run of the mill cheap bits and pieces cobbled together in a sweat shop!! 🥴

As an example of cost, you will see the X coils and now the new Nugget Finder Z search coils are all quiet expensive, that should be an indication of the costs involved in manufacturing something for ZVT tech. GPZ’s are expensive to build, they were also very expensive to develop.

JP

• Like 2

Having just had the LCD sceen replaced I was surprised that the actual cost was only $120 for the screen. (The whole job cost $287 which consisted of replacing the screen and postage to send it back) 

10 hours ago, madtuna said:

Well my next big screen super thin wall hanging tv I’m going to demand I pay no more that 50 bucks! After all they’re just electronic bits and pieces thrown together by a few robots

No need to be sarcastic mad fish. It would probably cost $50 in freight just to get it to you. I am sure you got the picture, & not on your flat screen tv either, of what I was getting at with electronics in this day & age.

G4G  

Yeah, I`m going with the original Zs screen for another season, will be the 6th season it survives ( I hope) the "dark" across the screen  doesn`t get any worse. Not a matter of cost as just get my dealer to post me a new Z if it fails mid season, then send it away for repair. I`m fortunate have had no major drops, I don`t baby it, just I treat it as I believe a machine that sometimes earns itself in a few hours should be treated. To me the Z is magic and now with a good range of different size/configuration of  X coils on it it has gone up another level, come on 6000 lets see if you compete with or compliment the Z.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Porter said:

As an example of cost, you will see the X coils and now the new Nugget Finder Z search coils are all quiet expensive, that should be an indication of the costs involved in manufacturing something for ZVT tech. GPZ’s are expensive to build, they were also very expensive to develop.

JP

Are the NF GPZ coils hand made like, I am lead to believe, the X coils are? The end cost of the X coils in our necks of the woods are decided by Dave, Davsgold, so it appears & not X coils as he seems to be the middle man between the manufacturer & the end consumer & so names his price. He has no competition.

G4G