The GPZ Is Fragile!

I have had GP machines from the Extreme to the 4500 and nothing has EVER broken despite thousands of hours in the field being banged around, in the back of my pickup and on ATVs over rough trails.

I noticed that my GPZ has started rebooting and loosing it's current setting whenever I lay it on the ground. I have used one of Docs protective covers since I bought it.

wStIawwl.jpg

I took off the cover and found this:

MNMzWQ2l.jpg

TjTJH8Zl.jpg

It appears that one of the pins that holds the battery in position has sheared off likely causing the reboot issue:

2fe32nVl.jpg

Luckily the broken pin was still in my big Minelab protective bag:

H2SvrfTl.jpg

I'll try to epoxy it back on and treat the detector as if it is made of glass from now on. I'll admit that I have occasionally let it drop to the ground from a foot or two when going to dig a target. An apparently very bad habit I acquired when using the GPs. No more..

I'll see if I can fabricate a pad for the broken stand since I don't see this part available from ML separately. 

I bought the machine used with about 10 hours of prior usage, so no warranty for me.

Just posting this so you guys won't have the same issue. 

• Sad 1

Thanks for that JP!👍 Since day one with the detector I have noticed that my WM12 audio sometimes drops out randomly as well. I used to build PCs, so reseating the mylar cable should be easy enough and hopefully solve both issues. 🤞

• Like 1

Yikes! I am the type that could break the horn off an anvil. I use my 7000 about as hard as anyone on this planet and contrary to my initial fears it has held up very well (3+ years) but I do put a bit more effort in not knocking it around. The foot on my 7000 lasted 2 days. I never replaced it. I have broken about 37 lower shafts Until I made my own fix. I have to agree with Steve- The GPX7000 is not fragile.

• Like 6

You're right Steve and thanks for the parts link. I'll contact my local dealer for the 2008-005 replacement part. 

I opened the box. The data cable appeared to be slightly pulled out at the right side, but not by much: 

Q2WiqYhl.jpg

I cleaned and reseated it. I epoxied the battery locator pin back in place and it appears good to go. 

I'll get out in a few days and see if the issues are resolved.

Thanks for the help!

• Like 7

I put a cut-in-half section of pool noodle inside Doc's protective cover under the detector for extra cushioning. 
Also, I never treat that machine like anything other than the 7 to 10  thousand dollar item that it is. It's worth that extra few seconds to treat it well.
Picks on the other hand? I don't worry so much about.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, flakmagnet said:

I put a cut-in-half section of pool noodle inside Doc's protective cover under the detector for extra cushioning. 
Also, I never treat that machine like anything other than the 7 to 10  thousand dollar item that it is. It's worth that extra few seconds to treat it well.
Picks on the other hand? I don't worry so much about.

A great idea! Thanks. 

• Like 1

Potential purchasers of the new 6000 (when it gets here) will need to be careful how they throw it around, because the feet at the rear of the detector comes off the battery cover, cheers sturt 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By NvAuMiner
      Is there or has there been any comparison testing done in the field on depth with the 6000 vs the 7000 using the NF 12" Z-search coil.
      Thanks . . .
    • By NvAuMiner
      Is there or has there been any comparison testing done in the field on depth with the 6000 vs the 7000 using the NF 12" Z-search coil.
      Thanks . . .
    • By phrunt
      I haven't done a story on a gold find for a while, partly because once you find a patch with a bunch of nuggets everything else seems pretty insignificant, a couple of months ago  I did just that, it's only my second patch but had quite a number of nuggets, I'd guess at least 40 (Correction: at least 80 nuggets) and over 30 grams in total.   I lost count of both the nuggets and the grams we got out of it in the end.  I did take a couple of videos on the first and second day of it, after that I stopped filming and just worried about detecting as filming videos is very time consuming and wastes valuable detecting time 🙂   That patch has been the highlight of my detecting time and hopefully I can find another in the future, I'll put links to the videos for anyone that wants to watch them and hasn't seen them already.
      https://youtu.be/qs-e8HO7xdU
      https://youtu.be/tppU5XZe77o
      Now to the more recent adventure, one of the most common gold spots I've been to is being developed, very soon it will no longer exist, already a large area of it has disappeared over the past few months with more to go yet, seeing it's probably the closest gold spot to home and one I've found a reasonable amount of gold before so it will be missed greatly.  It's obviously getting extremely hard to find gold there as it's not a huge area really and it's been done a lot over the years by a number of people being an obvious spot to look.
      My focus on this day was to take advantage of how well the GPZ and Concentric coil handles EMI to hunt almost exclusive in and around the power lines where people including myself with previous setups were unable to really detect very well, especially with my GPX 4500, it was terrible near the power lines, and what inspired me to try out a QED which ended up working quite well under the power lines but just didn't have the power of the GPZ.
      I didn't take all that many photos as my aim was to get some video, I always struggle to get gold finds on video as I just use my phone to film and I have to put it down to do the recovery 🙂 I have a GoPro but just haven't bothered to use it yet. 
      I went to some bedrock and worked my way up digging every signal and recording and deleting all the recordings as they were turning out to be shotgun pellets, this is entirely normal in this area as it has a big rabbit plague and shooters love spreading their pellets around all over the place for me to dig back up again.
      Here is a video of the first gold find, a .109 of a gram nugget, I was pretty happy with that to start the day as often at this location I go home empty handed.  I didn't get the entire thing on video and I had my detector in difficult from when I was messing around the other day doing some testing and didn't check my settings, I'd never normally use difficult in my soil as Normal works just fine. Fortunately it didn't prevent me finding the gold, or the numerous pellets before it 
      Once I'd finished that bedrock area I walked up under the power lines to detect hoping I'd find something others couldn't get, I took a little video there of how the detector was working under the lines, I really love how well the GPZ handles power lines seeing they're in many of my gold areas.  You'll also notice at the end of the video the millions of bits of rabbit poo on the ground, this is the reason for the shotgun pellets everywhere.
      You'll notice in the video I discover I'm in difficult and seem a bit surprised, this is when I worked out I may have wasted the past hour detecting in difficult and it went through my head now I'll have to go check that bedrock again 😛  I was quite happy at that point I took the video or I may not have noticed for the rest of the day.
      I started detecting along under the power lines and ended up in a little area I don't think I've been into before, I'm terrible with directions and locations so it's quite possible I have been there before and don't remember it but it didn't look familiar, I was still recording every target dig to try get a gold find on video and managed to do it, I think this might be my first time ever getting one from start to finish on video, quite happy with that.
      And a couple of photos of it.

And my lucky last nugget of the day if you could call it that was a 0.038 of a gram nugget, very shallow on some bedrock, it took me about 20 minutes to recover this one, but I only got a portion of it on video, I kept moving it around but couldn't pick it up, I had no idea where it was in the cleared area, I was wishing I had a VLF with me with tiny coil to narrow it down.

I'd imagine there are quite a lot of these little guys around it's just the amount of pellets you'd have to dig to find them would be crazy.  I do it more for the challenge but the novelty wears off after digging a massive amount of pellets and not finding any nuggets and if you ignore the pellets you'll miss these little bits of gold. 
      So here are the 3 little bits for the day

and the weights

All a bit of good fun, I really enjoy chasing these little bits especially after the first one pops up to get you into gear looking for more.  I can't compete with the photos lately out of Alaska for gold though, I'm just glad I can do the hobby near home and find a few bits to keep me happy.
      Here is a little tour video of where I was detecting.
      Keep in mind to run these coils you need to have an adapter and that involves cutting the end off your existing GPZ coil and making an adapter out of it, it should only ever be taken on by someone very skilled at electronics or really the best thing to do is get a professional to make the adapter for you to avoid any problems.
    • By phrunt
      I change coils more than most, in fact I've changed coils 10 times in a day when testing out various coils on bits of gold, by doing this I'd caused myself some lower shaft wobble, it turns out I'd cracked part of a clip on the shaft, the clip with the little rubber pad had a crack in it, so the shaft wasn't holding on tight.  I suspect the people that had upper shaft issues where it wobbles a bit have either got the same crack on the pressure pad or they've just worn the little bit of rubber out.  Fortunately it's a very easy and cheap fix.
      Here are the part numbers for the clip mechanism
      X2 8008-0056 Pressure blocks
      X1 8008-0072 Camlock lever
      X1 4308-0033 Pin
      The part I'd broken was the pressure blocks.  They come in a twin pack for replacement and are very easy to replace.

You dismantle the clip by removing the pin, I used a small screw driver to push it out of the clip.  You then just use a small flat head screw driver to lever them off, pushing each side of the pressure block away from the camlock lever as pictured below.

This is the shaft with the clip removed.  You can see the grooves cut out of it where the pressure pads need to slide into so when reassembling made sure they're straight so they fit into the groove.

You can see the little circular lump on the left hand side pressure pad, it's what goes into that dug out groove.

This is how the rubber pads look, I guess they can wear out over time and if they do your shaft would be wobbly.

Minelab sell all the parts individually, so you can just order what you need for the repair.  They were very helpful with me, and had me solved by the next day using express shipping.  I bought a heap of the little parts so I have spares seeing I change coils so often.
      In my case I just needed the pressure blocks, the pin and camlock lever were obviously fine.
      So if anyone's putting up with some shaft wobble, it's cheap and simple to fix.
    • By Erik Oostra
      I’ve been following the battle between the old dog (GPZ-7000) and young dog (GPX-6000) with keen interest.. From what I can make of it, the young dog’s winning its battles in the USA and the old dog in Australia.. So far it seems the old dog can handle a scruff on heavily mineralized and ‘hot rock’ infested grounds better than the young dog, who prefers milder grounds.. But it’s too early in the day to scorn the young dog, it’s only just finding its feet in the world.. The old dog might’ve fought it out with other GPXs and always come out on top, but this young dog seems to have more sense of geology than its cousins.. Maybe a few more dust-ups in the old dog’s yard might do the young dog some good.. Or maybe the old dog won’t let the young dog anywhere near its yard no more? Maybe they should flog it out on neutral grounds somewhere, another 'Rumble in the Jungle'? Only time will tell who emerges Top Dog of the World , as with most other dog fights.. Hackles come up and fur starts to fly..