A Question Of Conductivity

On 2/8/2021 at 9:07 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

When this topic comes up I usually toss in this test I did with the White's DFX and some gold nuggets. It shows how the size of the nugget has less effect than the purity and shape/porosity of the gold. The numbers are all over the place, but in general, the purer and more solid the gold, the higher the number.

Some Gold Nugget Target ID Numbers

In general, Alaska gold is lower purity than California and Australian gold, resulting in lower target id numbers. Note that a very large gold nugget will give similar readings as a 12 oz aluminum can!

gold-nugget-vdi-numbers-herschbach-dfx.jpg
Some old nugget target id numbers

Love this chart Steve and it brings back great memories from a customer of mine.  Gene was on one of my trips to Ganes Creek, AK.  This was mid way of their trips yrs and the MXT was top machine at the time.  Were hunting a fresh push and everyone was swinging up/down the rows as fast as they can.  After it slowed and a few went on, I get in there and methodically hunt my style and a couple others stayed with me.  Anyway, Gene gets a WHAM of a signal and yells.  "It says Buckle" on the screen.  Back then the MXT when run up at Ganes, we smart guys preferred the RELIC MODE over the PROSPECT MODE, as it had better ID and smoother operation.  Well Dr T (from Reno on his 1st trip) says, "that means it's a beer or soda can and too high of a # for a gold nugget".  Gene looks at me and shrugs his shoulder as to say "well Gerry, would you dig"?  I told him, T was probably right, but since the cobbles we were in was also the same ones the Heart of Gold that Steve B found, that it will only take a few minutes to find out.  Well the buckle turned into grown men jumping around acting like teens who seen their 1st Playboy.  It was a 6 ounce Buckle of a nugget.

Moral of the story.  You don't know what you don't dig.

GeneBigl.JPG

GeneBigh.JPG

GeneBige.JPG

GeneBigk.JPG

GeneBig6.JPG

• Like 7
  • Oh my! 1