The New Tarsacci 12” Coil Part 1

Aaron

• The title was changed to The New Tarsacci 12” Coil Part 1

Aaron - thanks for the video but you your geometry skills are a little rusty - those coils are not rectangles :wink:.  The  8.5 x 11.25 coil is roughly an ellipse therefore the area is calculated as pi*(8.5 x 11.25)/4 = 75.1 sq. inches and the 12" "round" is  pi*(12/2)^2=113 sq inches.  If you want to treat the 12" coil as an 12" x 11.5" ellipse then the area is 108 sq. inches.   Splitting the difference at 110 square inches for the new 12" coil, the increase in areal coverage is (110-75)/75x100= 46% greater surface area.  The conclusion is the same but there is actually A LOT MORE surface area covered by the 12" coil, 46% vs. 30%.

The justification for the lack of a coil cover on the 12-inch coil is just a little over the top.  Why not just provide one and let the user decide whether or not to use it instead of trying so hard to convince us it is really a detriment.  There is some terrain where I would prefer to protect my investment with a cover and give up on that 1/4" of additional depth.

Anyway, glad there is now an additional option with greater coverage and depth.  My concern is that in the highly mineralized ground where I detect, the larger coil will simply see more ground and be counterproductive.  I am happy with the stock coil for mineralized dirt relic hunting.  I can see where the 12" coil would be attractive to beach and water hunters and deep silver slayers in milder ground with low trash density.

• Like 3

Why would I want to put out money on a high dollar coil and have to worry about damaging it . No problem just don’t buy the coil if it don’t come with a coil cover..

I’ve been watching all the videos that the Tarsacci has out and what I’ve seen was impressive . At double the price of some other high end detectors and at half the warranty maybe it’s not for me .

Chuck 

1 minute ago, Ridge Runner said:

Why would I want to put out money on a high dollar coil and have to worry about damaging it . No problem just don’t buy the coil if it don’t come with a coil cover..

I’ve been watching all the videos that the Tarsacci has out and what I’ve seen was impressive . At double the price of some other high end detectors and at half the warranty maybe it’s not for me .

Chuck 

It's definitely a niche detector, Chuck.  Not for everybody.  Not something I would use coin shooting in a can slaw infested park even if they offered it for half the price.  In hot mineralized farm fields in Virginia, however, its depth is impressive and has snagged me some nice relics so far.  Similarly, folks really love it in wet salt sand.

Chase  

I’ve seen enough videos to know what you said is true. That’s just the reason I was ready to buy it. I’ve got miles of Texas coast and all the way to Florida.

I don’t believe anything I said wasn’t true.

Most detectors have a warranty of two years and coils come with covers .

Chuck 

4 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Chase  

I’ve seen enough videos to know what you said is true. That’s just the reason I was ready to buy it. I’ve got miles of Texas coast and all the way to Florida.

I don’t believe anything I said wasn’t true.

Most detectors have a warranty of two years and coils come with covers .

Chuck 

I'm with you.  I have no idea why they are trying so hard to convince people that the coil should not have/need a cover.  I am wondering why the manufacturer is willing to put the coil on the line and open himself up to warranty claims from chipped epoxy.  Weird.  I would like to know the weight.

• Like 1

It seems everyone wants to compare price tags to the Nox now days.   Which i believe is going up.  For beach hunting this upgraded WATERPROOF design is a welcome addition, not that i felt it wasnt already waterproof.  So.... us beach hunter have to compare price to machines like the Xcal.... make some mods and check their warranty.... then compare depth in the water.  We also arent as concerned about price.... i bought a CTX lol.  Why, because they pay for themselves.  I also look at it like this.... if i can gain a inch or so over the standard coil.... that just increases the depth over the competition out there..... and its a heck of a lot cheaper to buy a coil over a new machine that might come out to get that kind of depth.  As an ole dirt hunter.... it wasnt easy getting your machine paid for.  I just didnt sell anything like old silver or relics.... so i had to get into my pocket, cash in clad ... or plead my case with my wife lol.  

Now about that coil cover..... lol.  Im a die hard coil cover guy.   I really wear them out..... but i see a cost saving and it looks solid.  I think most hunters especially the average hunter would make that 1/4" up just by fixing their coil swing.   Maybe it could be sold as an accessory.... but hed have to sell almost as may covers as coils to make it worth his cost.... at that point it would be cheaper to just add the cover and increase the cost.   There is a lot of cost for a start up company.....and i know the designer was reluctant to make this coil.... but he did and hes making waterproof upgrades im told.... and going to offer various packages.   This aint ML with deep pockets who can cut prices and soak up repair costs.... but hes sure produced a good beach machine. 

Chase i think Aaron mentioned the weight in one of his videos.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

but hed have to sell almost as may covers as coils to make it worth his cost....

Good point and that is probably the truth.  But Aaron, Tom, and company need to tell it like it is and not try to convince everyone they don't need a coil cover and it's actually detrimental to performance.  That's just spin to cover the fact that the coil cover is too much of loser investment for the Dimitar who would have to charge exorbitant prices for the coil+cover to cover his costs.  The fact is that because this is a labor of love - and I'm glad Dimitar decided to pursue and build the Tarsacci - everything is going to cost more, and I get it.  The fact remains that it is a niche detector and for those who detect in the niche (beach hunters, relic hunters in hot ground) the detector brings a lot of value at that cost, but for most others like Chuck, probably not so much value for the investment, and that is also the unfortunate truth.  I believe in supporting this effort and have done so with my investment in one of these beasts and I believe in its performance for mineralized dirt - rivals anything I have except for my PI (but has ergonomic and ID advantages over the PI), but I am not going to tell everyone they don't need a coil cover with some stories about missing that final 1/4" just because the cover is not affordable.  I know Aarron needs to sell these things, but it kind of insults my intelligence to be repeatedly schooled in a video that "to those who know" a coil cover is really hurting your ability to detect.

Re:  Weight - thanks, I must have missed it when I was criticizing Aaron's math skills, my bad.  Must have lost focus when I was being told repeatedly how much I really don't need a coil cover  :smile:.  I'll go back and look.

To end this on an up note - I am glad Dimitar developed the bigger coil and I will seriously consider whether that brings something to the table for me in hot relic hunting.  Keith's video shows it's promising and Aaron will do head-to-head videos when everything thaws out so looking forward to that.

I'll keep it simple!

I'm a coil cover guy! And I'm an adult! Let me have the option! I'll pay the difference!👍👍

• Like 1

I want to say the same thing Joe..... but it’s a lot of money for him.  Unless he was to up the price with the sale .... it won’t be profitable IMO.  You may have 100 machines ... and if he sold them separately..... more than not would opt out for the difference in price.   We like our money lol.  What if that cover cost ... say $50.  It’s also possible with the material he’s using they are coming from overseas.  Right now everyone seems to be in a pickle.  It’s also possible Hes decided to not wait on a cover and get them on the street. I do a heck of a lot of guessing lol.  

• Like 1