Awesome Day In The Desert Sw

Condor

Very nice bit of research and successful follow up.

WARNING:

Pictures taken with a smartphone are geotagged unless that feature is turned off. It is relatively simple to determine where a smartphone picture is taken if geotagged.

Edit by Steve H - see http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1515-security-issue-posting-photos-from-gps-enabled-devices/ for details on photo security.

I usually have the GPS feature turned off for photos. I do believe that I stripped personal info and tags from these photos prior to saving but if anyone can see this info on the pics I posted and feels like letting me know, it would be appreciated. Good info for all to know about without a doubt. Thanks.

Very nice bit of research and successful follow up.

WARNING:

Pictures taken with a smartphone are geotagged unless that feature is turned off. It is relatively simple to determine where a smartphone picture is taken if geotagged.

Once they're uploaded to the forums and are being hosted on the server I don't believe you can look up the geotag data anymore but I could be wrong. I'm good with computers but no wiz. If you text or email someone the original picture all that data is still intact so that's where you might have a problem.

• Like 1

Tortuga, that is a good point. I tried to find some information about that on the Internet last night. Didn't find any real definitive. Seems some social sites strip the tagged data, and photo resizing may also strip the tags. We will have to see if we get expert advice.

I probably shouldn't have posted the warning without knowing 100% of what I was talking about. But, if that was the requirement for posting we wouldn't have much to read on the forum.

Edit by Steve H - see http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1515-security-issue-posting-photos-from-gps-enabled-devices/ for details on photo security.

• Like 1