New Simplex Or Used F75?

I see a lot of comparisons between the Simplex and other mid price/mid level machines out there like the F75, AT Pro, etc. 

These days it may be possible to find a used F75, AT Pro, etc for the price of a new Simplex or close. Maybe even with an extra small coil. Like a 5” DD or a 5x8. Throw in buying an extra coil for the Simplex and maybe even price. Simplex I think only 2 year warranty, so that will be gone eventually , non user/field replaceable battery. There are tons of arguments either way, more coil availability, supporting a US company (although buying second hand), Garrett and Fisher get back to you quickly and service pretty darn good even if you bought used. 

I’m not a fan of my ACE300. It works. Just tones and buttons, display, not for me. So guessing the AT Pro would not be for me either. I love my F22 however. Guessing a bit different from the F75 but perhaps tones, VDI, etc is similar. I hear good things about how well balanced it is, was a benchmark in its day. I already have a 600 multi and Seahunter pulse and most of my hunting is in midwest parks and homesites so waterproof/salt not necessary. Although weatherproof is nice for rain!

Would you get the used F75 or the Simplex?  Better yet, would you trade a Simplex for an F75 if the right deal came along? (I have a Simplex already but waiting for warm weather). Would anyone even make that trade?

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nickeldNdimed said:

Would you get the used F75 or the Simplex?

I didn't see you say if you will hunt in/near water.  The Simplex is waterproof and the F75 family is not.

Update:  I need to read more closely -- you said "waterproof/salt not necessary. Although weatherproof is nice for rain!"

I can't answer because I've never used a Simplex.  I will say that I bought the top-of-the-line F75 but only use the processes that are in the F70 = Teknetics Patriot (Patriot was half the price back then).  You said you would buy used so maybe not so much savings (if any) between the F75 and Patriot on the used market.  Definitely some use and even prefer the alternate processes, especially the Boost Process.

(Maybe I should trade F75 LtD Black for a Patriot and some cash....)

• Like 3

Most AT Pro's used are till well above $400 mark. They had a special on the Simplex with the green wireless headphones and pulse pointer. That is a really hard deal to beat. Water hunting of course you wouldn't have audio if the control box is submersed unless you get the waterproof headphones.

Little less money and full warranty and that "new detector smell" I would go for the Simplex.

• Like 4

F75+ model or the F75 LTD with DST.....I'd never even look at a Simplex with one of those two. 

My opinion is that the F75 is a true multi-purpose treasure hunting tool and the Simplex is just an entry level metal detector designed to acquaint you with the Nokta/Makro series of metal detectors.  

The F75 has so much more under the hood and I doubt many folks even use 1/3 of what is available under there.  

I looked at the Simplex and as a F75 owner user I didn't see anything that caused an itch to experience it.   

But that's just me and my opinion.   Far be it from me to cause someone not to buy and try for themselves as I am all for buy and try.  

HH
Mike

• Like 7

The new smaller coils on the Simplex, make it a really nice detector for coin and jewelry hunting, more stable and quieter operation. I didn't care for the stock large coil.

• Like 4

I don't understand why you'd want or need an F75 if you already have a Simplex and Equinox 600. What are you hoping the F75 will do for you that the other two can't do?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kac said:

Most AT Pro's used are till well above $400 mark. They had a special on the Simplex with the green wireless headphones and pulse pointer. That is a really hard deal to beat. Water hunting of course you wouldn't have audio if the control box is submersed unless you get the waterproof headphones.

Little less money and full warranty and that "new detector smell" I would go for the Simplex.

They come up around that or less every now and then or seem to sit if higher. Heck I think you can get an AT Pro Sport for like $500 new. I’d have a hard time justifying any more than that for one. And I guess that is part of the issue.  The bar seems to have been raised for VLF at a much lower price point. AT Pro, MX Sport, F75(not waterproof)

One argument I try to make in my head for an AT Pro is that I already have the waterproof headphones with my Seahunter.   But I’m afraid it will be similar to my Ace 300 in feel and I won’t like it.  

But I already picked up a Simplex and a pair of green headphones both barely used, box and receipt, still under warranty for even less. I couldn’t pass it up. Still need to take it out this spring and see how I like it and if it complements the 600 if  at all.  

3 hours ago, Mike_Hillis said:

F75+ model or the F75 LTD with DST.....I'd never even look at a Simplex with one of those two. 

My opinion is that the F75 is a true multi-purpose treasure hunting tool and the Simplex is just an entry level metal detector designed to acquaint you with the Nokta/Makro series of metal detectors.  

The F75 has so much more under the hood and I doubt many folks even use 1/3 of what is available under there.  

I looked at the Simplex and as a F75 owner user I didn't see anything that caused an itch to experience it.   

But that's just me and my opinion.   Far be it from me to cause someone not to buy and try for themselves as I am all for buy and try.  

HH
Mike

Mike, I can tell from your posts and replies that you are a Fisher/First Texas guy.  And nothing wrong with that.  I love my F22 and F Pulse.  Why a good deal on an F75 is tempting for me to buy and try.  

I can see if someone already has an F75 (or AT Pto, MX Sport), not being compelled to buy and try a Simplex.  I’m trying to convince myself if trying that F75 is worthwhile for $300-400 or so if I can get the Simplex for that much new or already picked one up used for much less.  The F75 coil choices and perfect ergo folks talk about are what is causing me the itch to experience it.

3 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I did the same thing and after years of weeding out detectors I don't really need, my two main detectors are the Nox 800 and the XP Deus. Many others on this forum and acquaintances that I hunt with have the same two detectors. The Nox 600 and the Simplex are correspondingly very similar to the 800 and Deus in many ways but for substantially less money. 

You nailed it, Jeff.

50 minutes ago, nickeldNdimed said:

The F75 coil choices and perfect ergo folks talk about are what is causing me the itch to experience it.

I keep my F75 because I consider it a classic detector in its day with great ergonomics and also because I like that it can use concentric coils and has a great selection of available accessory coils.  And because I would have to sellmit about a third of my original investment..  Would I get a used one today?  Um, no.  The ergonomics alone cannot make up for its dated design and as Jeff mentioned, its underwhelming performance in mineralized ground which is what I hunt in most of the time.  I am also over using detectors that need a raincoat put on them when the sprinkles come out or that have non-lithium battery power.  Finally, I like to be able to vary recovery speed independently without having to trade off depth or being locked into a specific mode  (a la Equinox), but I am impressed with the Simplex's more straight forward mode choices vs. the F75 that allow you to trade off depth for recovery speed in Park 1 and Park 2.  I do like F75's discrimination circuit vs. Simplex, its ability to readily ID bottlecaps using a concentric coil, its tone ID options (though very limited compared to Equinox and Deus) and of course the ergonomics.  But that has been resolved by getting the more appropriately sized elliptical coil for the Simplex.  The F75 is just collecting dust now, unfortunately.  Which I guess is apropos since these newer detectors have basically left it in the dust.

• Like 5