New Simplex Or Used F75?

Sorry Chase breezed through the post and missed that part. S shaft doesn't solve a nose heavy detector but instead moves the center of force a little higher up the wrist.

You could check out the full custom shaft system from Steve and see if you can incorparate one of the s handles from Gerry, he had posted a bunch of s shafts and where I snagged one for my SH.

30 minutes ago, kac said:

Sorry Chase breezed through the post and missed that part. S shaft doesn't solve a nose heavy detector but instead moves the center of force a little higher up the wrist.

You could check out the full custom shaft system from Steve and see if you can incorparate one of the s handles from Gerry, he had posted a bunch of s shafts and where I snagged one for my SH.

Is the second paragraph directed to N&D?  I  ask, because I personally am happy with my Steve G straight shaft and counterweight system for Equinox. Thanks.

On 2/9/2021 at 2:35 PM, GB_Amateur said:

I didn't see you say if you will hunt in/near water.  The Simplex is waterproof and the F75 family is not.

Update:  I need to read more closely -- you said "waterproof/salt not necessary. Although weatherproof is nice for rain!"

I can't answer because I've never used a Simplex.  I will say that I bought the top-of-the-line F75 but only use the processes that are in the F70 = Teknetics Patriot (Patriot was half the price back then).  You said you would buy used so maybe not so much savings (if any) between the F75 and Patriot on the used market.  Definitely some use and even prefer the alternate processes, especially the Boost Process.

(Maybe I should trade F75 LtD Black for a Patriot and some cash....)

I looked into the F70 and Patriot a little. That could be an option at the right price. Maybe provides some of the same balance, coil selection, and more depth than the F22 with similar simplicity. But yeah, the price difference is not that great. There is a Patriot in Ohio on Marketplace right now asking $225. Just not worth the drive for me. Maybe if the right deal comes along locally.  It doesn’t have the same grip or cuff either.  There is also the T2 I see come up for seemingly good deals and very similar.  

I see you are in southern Indiana. We might not be too far away from each other.  Maybe you can give the Simplex a try and I can try out that F75 sometime?   : )  Sort of like student exchange program for detectors. Or foreign detector exchange program? 

Hey, I see a business opportunity for this site and Steve. Like a detector library. Try before you buy, used detectors program. Small fee, shipping, and a review of detector required. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, nickeldNdimed said:

I see you are in southern Indiana. We might not be too far away from each other.  Maybe you can give the Simplex a try and I can try out that F75 sometime?

I'd be up for that -- meet halfway at a town with a (hopefully unsearched 😁) park.  But let's wait for the vaccine to kick in (so hopefully some time this summer).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'd be up for that -- meet halfway at a town with a (hopefully unsearched 😁) park.  But let's wait for the vaccine to kick in (so hopefully some time this summer).

Yep, gives me a chance to get familiar with the Simplex this spring and put together my own VDI cheat sheet. Daylight is getting noticeably longer already!  Last year I was already out detecting Feb/Mar with less people around and nobody going near you at the parks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kac said:

Yeah, I’ve tried to mock up the counterbalance and  did not convince me to spend $150 for this concept. 

I have an SH and it wears me out from weight, like soreness from a workout but not long lasting pain. Some claim there is another effect to the s-shaft at the end of the swing, reducing tilt. I also think that it effectively moves the coil further from your feet with a lesser angle of the forearm, possibly reducing how much I have to extend the lower rod and reducing the lever arm length forward of the handle. It may be enough to shift the effect on my arm to reduce or eliminate he pain.

Anyway, just want to try it on the Equinox and perhaps try an F75 that is like the  Caddy of ergo to some. I may me disappointed and can always sell it if bought at the right price without losing much.

Heck the Simplex may feel better than the Equinox and I may like it.  I didn’t pay much more for it than a carbon rod...  

A Vanquish with the 10x7 may be the answer for most of the clean up work with the Equinox for the specialty and depth work with the 11” and 6”. 

I’m trying to make this first world problem fun to solve. 

From the point of view of ergonomics, we can adjust any detector well enough for better balancing .., sometimes even minor adjustments .., and sometimes it is better to do, for example, the telescopic construction of the detector.

..No one of these 3 detectors has the original ergonomics .... ,, after a simple tuning, these detectors .. these detectors are much better balanced ,, easier, and more compact ......

947583840_Marec10iphone5S2019021_DxO.jpg.d6389686e09a1e845bce0ae0773d2142.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, nickeldNdimed said:

I have an SH and it wears me out from weight, like soreness from a workout but not long lasting pain. Some claim there is another effect to the s-shaft at the end of the swing, reducing tilt. I also think that it effectively moves the coil further from your feet with a lesser angle of the forearm, possibly reducing how much I have to extend the lower rod and reducing the lever arm length forward of the handle. It may be enough to shift the effect on my arm to reduce or eliminate he pain.

Anyway, just want to try it on the Equinox and perhaps try an F75 that is like the  Caddy of ergo to some. I may me disappointed and can always sell it if bought at the right price without losing much.

A Vanquish with the 10x7 may be the answer for most of the clean up work with the Equinox for the specialty and depth work with the 11” and 6”. 

Yes a S shaft reduces the  tilt of the detector under the wrist, so it is always better to use a S shaft rather than a straight shaft.  

Concerning the F75 ergonomy I have tested a T2 a few years ago , although it has excellent electronics it weights 1,57kg without coil cover compared to the 1.26lkg of the Equinox .Even if the T2 is well balanced you have still the inertia of the machine to sweep that it directly related to the weight. So the T2/F75 is not the best choice in terms of sweeping ergonomy to my opinion.  

The Vanquish with a V10 coil weights 1.2kg , it has a good ergonomy with the light V10 coil ( 360grams ).  This ergo can even be improved using lithium batteries and carbon shafts . But the lighter machines at the moment are the wireless XPs Deus and Orx ( 0.75kg for the Orx 22 HF ) 

• Like 3

On 2/11/2021 at 3:37 AM, palzynski said:

Yes a S shaft reduces the  tilt of the detector under the wrist, so it is always better to use a S shaft rather than a straight shaft.  

Concerning the F75 ergonomy I have tested a T2 a few years ago , although it has excellent electronics it weights 1,57kg without coil cover compared to the 1.26lkg of the Equinox .Even if the T2 is well balanced you have still the inertia of the machine to sweep that it directly related to the weight. So the T2/F75 is not the best choice in terms of sweeping ergonomy to my opinion.  

The Vanquish with a V10 coil weights 1.2kg , it has a good ergonomy with the light V10 coil ( 360grams ).  This ergo can even be improved using lithium batteries and carbon shafts . But the lighter machines at the moment are the wireless XPs Deus and Orx ( 0.75kg for the Orx 22 HF ) 

I may see if I can find an opportunity to try an F75 before I purchase one. 

The Vanquish may fill that gap in a lighter detector and coil combo for most occasions with the Equinox 11” and 6” as a re-grid specialty tool until I can maybe sort out the balance situation. 

I noticed the 340 does not come with arm strap or skid plate, rain cover or headphones which may be okay but a 440 may be a better value. I like the 5 tones and Bluetooth in the 540 but not the v12 or price. We’ll see what I can find and how the Simplex works out this season. 

• Like 3