New Simplex Or Used F75?

3 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

If you are after raw depth between all of the detectors mentioned in the original poster's post, the F75 would win that battle in mild to moderate dirt.

Maybe this is another compelling reason. I don’t hunt in the mineralized dirt you gents talk about. Never experienced it. My F22 will find high conductors deeper than 6”. Not a ton more but it does just fine. 

As kac correctly reported, the AT Pro used in at least good condition is still going for over $400 as is the F75, Kruzer and Multi Kruzer, while the Patriot/F70 and the T2 are not far off that price if they too are in good condition. Part of these high used prices is because these are excellent detectors but they also (unlike the Simplex, Kruzer and Multi Kruzer) have huge, very loyal, long-time followers who trust them for good reasons and have given them great reputations.

I think they are coming down and there are also some sold listings on EBay that support that. I guess my threshold right now is that $300-400 range if I come across it. I’m in no hurry and it doesn’t make sense to me above that. My buddy’s 600 was $400 used!  I’d just pick up another 600 and stick the 6” on one and 11” on the other. 

The only similar detector that I would even consider over the Simplex which might change your game would be an XP Deus at 2 to 3 times the cost of the Simplex if you can find a good used one and 4 times the cost of the Simplex if you buy a new Deus. That is my assessment from experiencing all of these detectors personally.

I’ve looked into the XP detectors a little but for some reason don’t find them compelling or want to go down that rabbit hole. I do find trying different detectors part of the fun and for XP money I could try several others. 

You could invest your money in a smaller coil for your Simplex. With the excellent stock coils offered by Nokta Makro and those added by Nel, you have many good options.

It is an option I am considering trying but waiting to try it with the stock configuration first this spring. 

21 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

The ergonomics alone cannot make up for its dated design and as Jeff mentioned, its underwhelming performance in mineralized ground which is what I hunt in most of the time.  I am also over using detectors that need a raincoat put on them when the sprinkles come out or that have non-lithium battery power. 

Same comment on mineralized ground, I’ve never experienced it, don’t hunt it. The weather proofing of the F22 is one thing I really like. Should be a minimum requirement these days. So that is not a plus but rare occurrence for me. On the batteries, I use NiMH rechargeable and soon want to try the new lithium rechargeable AAs. I still like the option of field replaceable. 

21 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

But that has been resolved by getting the more appropriately sized elliptical coil for the Simplex. 

An option I’m considering but have seen a comment about the SP24 not being that much lighter than the 11”.  Need to confirm that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

I don't understand why you'd want or need an F75 if you already have a Simplex and Equinox 600. What are you hoping the F75 will do for you that the other two can't do?

I don’t fully understand why I sometimes want to buy a White’s DFX but I get that urge too : ) But from what I have read about it and the fact Whites is no more, keeps me from pulling the trigger or asking that question. 

The F75 has a good rep.  I like the Fisher stuff I have owned so far. It seemed on paper it should be at least as capable as the Simplex with additional features and better coil selection. Why I asked the question. Seems like folks that have had both think differently.

My arm also hurts after using the 600 for a while.  Simplex has same configuration and nose heaviness.  If the ergo is better for me on the F75 and it is still a capable detector in mild soils, that may make it a keeper over the Simplex for me.  I like my 600 and have made some good finds with it this year but it pisses me off it makes my arm hurt to be honest. My 5lb Seahunter doesn’t make my arm feel as bad!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nickeldNdimed said:

I don’t fully understand why I sometimes want to buy a White’s DFX but I get that urge too : ) But from what I have read about it and the fact Whites is no more, keeps me from pulling the trigger or asking that question. 

Moved to a separate post! Thanks NickleNdimed!👍👍

• Haha 1

On 7/14/2020 at 3:40 AM, palzynski said:

Ok I have weighted the 11in coil when I did the Simplex+ test  a year ago , then this gives the following figures:

-  the Simplex 11in coil  480grams  
-  the 8.5                         :   480grams
-  the 9.5X 5                   :   420 grams

Comparing with the Vanquish :
-  the V12 12X10          :   440grams
-  the V10 10X8            :   360grams 
- the V8 8X6                  :   310grams

( All weights without coil cover )

btw the Simplex 8.5in coil should have been lighter than the 11 coil as it is smaller  .. Weird ...

Here are the weights from another post. Smaller coils not significantly lighter than 11” on the Simplex. Means the shaft also remains wobbly unless spend more money on carbon lower.  Not a huge deal but just details....

11 hours ago, nickeldNdimed said:

I like my 600 and have made some good finds with it this year but it pisses me off it makes my arm hurt to be honest.

Then you should consider investing in a CF shaft with counterweight rather than a whole new detector.  That has made a huge difference for me, which narrows the ergo gap between Equinox and the F75.  Steveg who posts here and in the DP classifieds builds and sells a great shaft/counterweight  system for Equinox and it is still less expensive than a used F75.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Then you should consider investing in a CF shaft with counterweight rather than a whole new detector.  That has made a huge difference for me, which narrows the ergo gap between Equinox and the F75.  Steveg who posts here and in the DP classifieds builds and sells a great shaft/counterweight  system for Equinox and it is still less expensive than a used F75.

Thanks Chase. I’m aware and have had that discussion in other posts. Nice product.  I’ve read the lengthy arguments and rebuttals. I don’t want to give up on the 600 and have mocked up and tried swinging it with a counterbalance but not convinced that and a carbon shaft will fix my issue. Maybe for folks with wrist issues but not really shoulder and upper arm I struggle with. 

Below is my 600 on a bike stand demonstrating  the counterbalance with approximately 1lb impact socket used to get it level. 

Also some pictures I robbed of s-shaft mods by other users that I would like to try as well.

Tightening up of the cuff fit is another mod. The Simplex cuff is a better fit! F75 my understanding is it is metal and you can bend/adjust to suit. 

4297973B-5275-4033-9F77-2175E4059C5C.png

53E243A0-F057-41EB-9EB4-0A85C15C0BF1.jpeg

8CFE32A1-8F1F-4436-B047-137E45CB8B5F.png

26DF87A3-C733-4FB0-8702-E793E7D6D54B.jpeg

D2DDEA1A-6B14-491C-903B-9C69DF9C6FEC.jpeg

• Like 2

Doesn't Steve G make a counter weight for the Nox?

Balance really helps when swinging. My SeaHunter MKII is a whopping 5lbs but the way it is balanced I can swing it all day long. My Tejon with 10x12 dd will hurt after a full day swinging. Only time I want more weight on the front is in the water as in the case of my AT Pro with 10x13 to reduce any boyancy in the front.

1 hour ago, kac said:

Doesn't Steve G make a counter weight for the Nox?

Yes, that’s what I recommended in the post above that you liked.   N&D says he considered it but is leaning towards an S shaft approach. :smile:

BTW - if I could make a Frankentector it would be an Equinox in the Simplex form factor (i.e., with a normal sized grip without a battery cell in it), with a CF lower rod attached to a ML Vanquish 10” coil and F75 menu navigation and control, Deus iron performance and FT or Nokta all metal mode and Tarsacci depth in mineralized dirt.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Yes, that’s what recommended in the post above that you liked.   N&D says he considered it.  :smile:

BTW - if I could make a Frankentector it would be an Equinox in the Simplex form factor (i.e., with a normal sized grip without a battery cell in it), with a CF lower rod attached to a ML Vanquish 10” coil and F75 menu navigation and controls.

Or First Texas could take note, finally come out with that digital CZ multi and offer it in two forms:

Fisher waterproofed, balanced, non-wobbly shaft version and more feature loaded

Teknetics weatherproof, balanced, non-wobbly shaft version and more simple interface 

Maybe throw in some APTx LL compatibly and headphones options, coil options, Pinpointer option....  

Boom 💥 Repackaged old stuff that matches their marketing structure with some new tech for relevance. 

• Like 2

It's sounding like you've talked yourself into a Fisher F75.  😁  For a 10+ year old detector (I mean the age of the design and earliest units manufactured, not necessarily the actual age of the one you buy) it's a pretty darned good performer....

• Like 2