2 Beach Hunts With GPX And AQ

Well all good things come to an end, but it was good while it lasted. I returned to that beach 6 days later, and found a completely different landscape. Even though it looked better with even more exposed rocks, conditions changed for the worst. Gone was the 6+ inch deep layer of rocks that was resting on clay. No more easy pickings, the clay layer was very deep now and with it was all that silver and gold. I detected all day long and was only able to get 5 silvers and the pile of mostly copper cents and clad. In an instance things changed, but I am grateful that I was able to get that many silver coins in just 3 visits. So back to reality for me and back to casual beach detecting until the next big break!

P2130235.JPG

• Like 2

Does the seawater eat away silver or just corrode it?  My RoT for bullion value is denom x 0.7 x spot.  For example, at today's spot of $27.40 that's about $19 for $1 face value USA 90% silver coins.  Your original post looked like it had almost $100 bullion worth in quarters and halves alone.  Again, I'm assuming not much loss.  Typical wear doesn't result in much loss until they get down there below G grade.  Not gold for sure, but still something. 

Good reports and nice to see you are getting out in the middle of winter.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Does the seawater eat away silver or just corrode it?  My RoT for bullion value is denom x 0.7 x spot.  For example, at today's spot of $27.40 that's about $19 for $1 face value USA 90% silver coins.  Your original post looked like it had almost $100 bullion worth in quarters and halves alone.  Again, I'm assuming not much loss.  Typical wear doesn't result in much loss until they get down there below G grade.  Not gold for sure, but still something. 

Good reports and nice to see you are getting out in the middle of winter.

Most of the time it corrodes it and leaves pits. But if you get silver out of stagnant salt water, it starts to decompose the coin and you lose a lot more silver than if it pits. There is loss in both scenarios, but stagnant water hurts more because the coin is always attacked by sulfur and chlorine for the most part. I detect all winter long if the weather permits.  As long as it's above 25* F, and there is some sun, it's not that bad.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2021 at 8:20 AM, schoolofhardNox said:

But what really surprises me is the fact that my favorite beach can be hit by so many people over the years and is not even close to being cleaned out. It really shows me the complexity of how beaches work and evolve and how they can hide targets so well.

Amen to that, I know technology has provided better results over the years but like you, I'm stunned on how much is left to find. Here we have spots that were dredged over and over and still have given up 40 plus gold in one season. 

Very nice report on the hunt also, Love the color of the 14k. 

Sorry about the stock head phones, to many times have we seen the stock AQ head phones fail.  Wish I worked at First Texas to solve these issues. I just fixed two sets of excal head phones for a friend, one the stock yellows, the other GGA's. Then I replace the coil on a Old Sword model that had the original stock, big cord red head set.. still working after 30 years. Something to be learned there....

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Amen to that, I know technology has provided better results over the years but like you, I'm stunned on how much is left to find. Here we have spots that were dredged over and over and still have given up 40 plus gold in one season. 

Very nice report on the hunt also, Love the color of the 14k. 

Sorry about the stock head phones, to many times have we seen the stock AQ head phones fail.  Wish I worked at First Texas to solve these issues. I just fixed two sets of excal head phones for a friend, one the stock yellows, the other GGA's. Then I replace the coil on a Old Sword model that had the original stock, big cord red head set.. still working after 30 years. Something to be learned there....

It's amazing to me how much is lost. Not only silver and gold but all the junk too. But the good stuff hides deep and leaves something for future generations I guess 🙄 I'm still hoping someone goes out and actually makes a pin pointer that I can HEAR with the sound of the ocean in the background.  Yep, them headphones are a weak link to a really great machine. Twice they have broken just when I needed them the most. Why can't they die on a crappy hunt 😂 But fun it was and now it's back to using your head to find the goods. It doesn't take many brain cells to find all that silver when the beach clears away most of the sand and every other swing of the detector gives you a loud signal. Almost can't believe it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 8:16 PM, schoolofhardNox said:

Yep, them headphones are a weak link to a really great machine. Twice they have broken just when I needed them the most.

Just sent a pair of faulty AQ headphones to Tony. He said no problem fixing and improving them.  Should have them back in a few days. Still waiting for my AQ repair from First Texas. It’s been in their hands for 7 weeks and 3 days. But who’s counting?

Okara gold 

I’m sorry you having to wait so long to get your detector back. What I’m wondering if you had to pay shipping?

I had a detector just one month and the speaker went out and I had to pay shipping to them. The turn around time was great and they paid to ship it back. I ask the rep. about that and was told that is their requirement that the customer pay the shipping to the repair center. Ok but this was in the first month of having it . She did say she would check on that and I guess she’s still checking.haha

Maybe they’ll give you the new model if you have to wait much longer.

Chuck 

4 hours ago, okara gold said:

Just sent a pair of faulty AQ headphones to Tony. He said no problem fixing and improving them.  Should have them back in a few days. Still waiting for my AQ repair from First Texas. It’s been in their hands for 7 weeks and 3 days. But who’s counting?

Yep, Tony is the guy for the job. I sent mine in yesterday and he is repairing it and making me another one of his too. He gets them back fast and done right! Great guy!

• Like 1