Some East Coast Nuggets Found By A Detector

Great finds indeed from the east, hope you can find some more.

Good luck on your next hunt.

7 hours ago, jasong said:

Dang, some of that is shedding off a source not too far away by the looks of it. If the state bought the land have you looked into wether VA does mineral leases and then taking a dozer out there where the big nuggets came from? Might be some more lunkers there to be found, might expose a vein or something too never know.

It’s a wildlife management area now.  No mineral removal no picking plants not metal detecting no sluicing no panning.  Basically only for hunters.   Bunch of crap really it’s my tax money and they won’t let you do anything on the dam property that now covers over 8000 acres I believe.  

Gerry - if you ever coming out VA let me know.  My mentor was a relic hunter for 30 years or more in VA and only happened to fall into nugget hunting.  Many of the Va civil war battle fields happened on top of or in close proximity to many old gold mines.  

• Like 5

Matt-

Those are awesome finds!  Are they from some of the terrain area shown in your excellent presentation on Lidar 2 years ago? I was impressed with the "modeling" capability which can certainly help to try and follow it's erosion migration path, thereby hinting at where to concentrate efforts. Maybe Lunk will make a wide circle home this spring to sniff out some eastern nuggets with his GPZ? (Ha) 

Mike 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PG-Prospecting said:

It’s a wildlife management area now.  No mineral removal no picking plants not metal detecting no sluicing no panning.  Basically only for hunters.   Bunch of crap really it’s my tax money and they won’t let you do anything on the dam property that now covers over 8000 acres I believe.

Yes, I also have observed that for some reason, hunters are allowed to obtain permits for their hobby on government lands, while being denied to other groups like detectorists. Other examples of this are wildlife refuge areas and military reservation lands.

Ok, you started me on a bit of a rabbit hole. I’ve been reading about some of these early gold rushes in the Carolinas, Georgia etc and there are some of the stupidly big nuggets found then and since then, 17lbs, 23 lbs. Wow. 

I shouldn’t be shocked, these are mountains that though a lot older than the west coast originally had probably had some similarity it formation, metamorphism etc. I used to live in Georgia and was all over this area for trout fishing , wasn’t into prospecting yet. I could have been walking over gold.