GPX 6000 Draft Manual & Internal Photos

Looks like we should all chip in to charter a flight to Dubai, so that we can buy the African market packages. 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, if you are hitting tiny stuff with the 14" DD in Cancel mode at 3" that the GPZ can't hear at all, then I'd be more interested in a 3rd package option - the 17" mono and 14" DD.

How much smaller of gold could we possibly want to find? That 11" mono in Normal has to be screaming hot. I know lots of people want a small light coil though, so probably why it's part of the US package.

Ok, next person in Quartzsite see if you can get a rough depth estimate in air on that 14" DD on like a 1 grammer now. :smile:

• Like 2

In all of the vids has anyone seen an 'African' price mentioned?   Do any dealers know or are able to say?  

The idea of 2 batteries in the package was quite appealing and to be honest I will be a bit narky if one continent is getting a package that might be deemed a bit superior for the same price I will be paying.  Maybe the DD is more expensive to make and therefore the cost is equalled out??

I'm sure this was mentioned when the Equinox came out but I wonder why they can't just sell the detector, a battery and relevant chargers as the initial purchase.  Then people can say to their dealer that I would like an extra battery, a harness, just the 17" coil, just the 11" coil, all 3 coils, etc, etc.  

Not that I ever bought a GPX 5000 but I find it amusing that lots of people purchase a 5000 and get 2 supplied coils that will possibly never come out of the plastic.   To my mind Minelab are making items that are a waste of resources and an unnecessary added cost that they then have to pass onto the consumer.  

Many wont use the second battery, many won't use the headphones, many won't use the DD coil of the GPX 6000 - why not let client's build the package to meet their needs and let them buy extra components if/when required?  

57 minutes ago, jasong said:

if you are hitting tiny stuff with the 14" DD in Cancel mode at 3" that the GPZ can't hear at all

For me it is not just about getting the tiny stuff.  It is also about getting it to work more easily in situations that the GPZ can struggle and therefore find the bigger stuff too.   And as 2 mates have GPZ's it is also about having some different tech as we know different tech will light up individual pieces of gold better/worse than others. 

Will also be a shame if the final version is not going to be USB up-dateable.   

Just my rambling thoughts for the day...🤔 😉

• Like 5

On 2/12/2021 at 8:42 PM, jasong said:

Honestly, if you are hitting tiny stuff with the 14" DD in Cancel mode at 3" that the GPZ can't hear at all, then I'd be more interested in a 3rd package option - the 17" mono and 14" DD.

How much smaller of gold could we possibly want to find? That 11" mono in Normal has to be screaming hot. I know lots of people want a small light coil though, so probably why it's part of the US package.

I guess the only reason would be swing accessibility.  You can swing the 11" in more constrained spots.  Would be nice to have a smallish DD elliptical (for noise canceling or salt work) or even mono, that gives good swing coverage but lighter weight and tight spot accessibility when depth is not an overriding concern.

On 2/12/2021 at 8:34 PM, Lunk said:

Looks like we should all chip in to charter a flight to Dubai, so that we can buy the African market packages. 🤪

On 2/12/2021 at 9:49 PM, Northeast said:

The idea of 2 batteries in the package was quite appealing and to be honest I will be a bit narky if one continent is getting a package that might be deemed a bit superior for the same price I will be paying.  Maybe the DD is more expensive to make and therefore the cost is equalled out??

I actually haven't seen anything that indicates the African package is priced the same.   Did I miss that?  

I agree that two batteries makes sense and it's disappointing a second is not included in the "DD" package. 8 hours is not even a full detecting day for many folks even if you include breaks.  Furhermore,  manufacturers usually err on the side of giving you best performance numbers vice minimums or even averages, so real life duration numbers vs. published could be much less.  Plus having a charged spare, just in case, is really essential if you are detecting in the middle of nowhere and can't lug two detectors while on foot, several miles from your vehicle.  Of course the answer is buy a spare, but we all know that ML is not exactly consumer friendly when it comes to accessory pricing, especially for items that are included in package deals.  The  WM08 and wireless headphone accessory prices for Equinox are a prime example.  Over $400 for 2 audio accessories that are included with the Equinox 800 that only costs $300 more than the 600.  I shudder to think what ML is going to charge for that second battery.

Speaking of the 17" elliptical, has the width dimension been published?  The 14" DD coil footprint is 49*pi sq. inches.  If the 17" elliptical coil has a 13" width (just eyeballing here from the pics I've seen) then its footprint is 55*pi  sq. inches or about 13% greater than the 14, but it is also a mono which gives it greater umph than the 14" DD if ground and EMI are not an issue.

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I actually haven't seen anything that indicates the African package is priced the same.   Did I miss that?

Don’t think you missed it as I haven’t been able to find it either. 

And that was my main query - across different packages and different continents - are we all paying the same price?  Time will tell  👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I guess the only reason would be swing accessibility.  You can swing the 11" in more constrained spots.  Would be nice to have a smallish DD elliptical (for noise canceling or salt work) or even mono, that gives good swing coverage but lighter weight and tight spot accessibility when depth is not an overriding concern.

I shudder to think what ML is going to charge for that second battery.

I agree with a smaller 10" ellip as desired coil down the road but am not to worried at this moment.  There has never been a detector in the last 15 yrs that did not have coil options sooner or later from someone.  Yes it might be a few yrs though.

Africa price and difference?  Who cares, it's what it is and we can't change it.  Most countries price products to sell to their customers.  If it's to high then the product will not sell.

Yes we all dream of the perfect detector, coils, battery, pricing and performance, but the reality is we get what they ship us.

USA is not the bread and butter making Minelab big money like it used to be years ago.  We are an afterthought.  No big deal, times change and yrs ago I can remember when USA was the main money maker for Minelab, even over Australia. 

We can all dream, discuss and wish though...that's why we live in America and have a great DP forum to share.

Battery,  I don't expect a $400 battery as Minelab had with their older GPX series.  The GPZ battery is only $200 and last a day.  Folks actually buy them but I can't sell the $400 GPX-5000 battery to save my life and I don't blame folks.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Africa price and difference?  Who cares, it's what it is and we can't change it.  Most countries price products to sell to their customers.  If it's to high then the product will not sell.

Gerry, agree.  I don't really care what the African package price is either.  The context of my post was based on others who noted that the African 11/17" mono package appeared to contain two batteries.  So there were some tongue in cheek and other more serious statements on the forum (that I quoted) that mused about possibly getting the African package instead or implied the "DD"/single battery package fell short.  My only point in response to those comments was that since we don't know what Africa is paying for the 11/17 mono + 2 battery package, we have no idea if it is an apples to apples package/price comparison, better deal, etc.  Though I am disappointed in only having the single battery included because of the premium ML usually charges for after purchase accessories, thanks, Gerry, for providing the  the GPZ battery cost perspective.

FWIW:

GPX 4K/5K Battery is 7.4 - 8.4 VDC, 9200 mAh plus amplifier, 1.72 lbs @ $410US

GPX 4K/5K "Mini" Battery is 7.4 - 8.4 VDC, ~2500 mAh plus amplifier, ~.8 lbs @ $145 US

GPZ Battery is 7.2 VDC, 10,000 mAh battery, .82 lbs @ $195 US

GPX 6000 Battery is probably 7.2 VDC (?), 5833 mAh, ? lbs @ ??? [hopefully the weight will be LESS than the GPZ battery pack, weird mAh rating, though, btw]

So it seems something on the order of $100-$150 per spare GPX 6K battery is probably in the ballpark.  We'll see.

• Like 1