Sickness, Obsession, Or Just Plain Fun!

The answers range from "how many detectors can you swing at one time?" to "no detector covers all situations".  And those are just the logical answers.  The used detector market is pretty robust so as long as you're as willing to sell as you are to buy then your cost is minimal.

I remember a wagering discussion that went something like the following:

person 1) You bet $100 on tonight's football game?  Isn't that a lot of money?

person 2) The bookmaker's rake is 5% so if I do nothing more than flip a coin, on average it's going to cost me $5.  You're going to a movie tonight?  What's that's gonna cost you?

Isn't that more/less what you're doing when you buy a detector, try it out, and sell it?

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I have been in and out of this hobby for many years. Jumped back in 6 years ago with AT Pro, fine machine. Got caught up in the Equinox hype and just had to have an 800 so bought one after selling my AT Pro. Recently sold my 800 and bought CTX3030. (for some loss of hearing, not any reasons the 800 was not a good detector).

I hunt parks and civil war relics in urban Atlanta. For me the hobby gets me out of the house and the dreaded unlimited honey do list. My wife still works and I am semi-retired. Run a small online business. The part of being retired she feel quite content with filling up with her honey do list. Or as she starts out every sentence is "honey, I need you to  do this...".

My detecting is physical exercise since some hunts I hike in a mile or two and back out. The thrill of not knowing what is under your coil and digging is fun. But with my CTX3030 on coins it pretty much spoils the suspense since it is so accurate at ID's coins vs trash.

Civil War relic hunting is a different story and even the CTX will keep you in suspense often.

There is a technical and historical intellectual challenge to this hobby that helps keep the mind sharp. Learning a new modern metal detector, especially one from a different vendor is like learning a Mac when you have 30 years experience on the PC or vice versa. Learning to use new research tools is also fun and often results in some better places to hunt.

I have thought about giving up metal detecting, especially in the 1st year with my Nox 800. But what else would I do? I really cannot think of another hobby that offers both physical benefits and intellectual challenges. Only thing close is panning for gold. But now in North Georgia where the gold is, it is all pretty much private property so you have to join a gold club and pay monthly dues. I guess I was spoiled for two years I had exclusive use of a 40 acre original lottery land lot with two gold mines and a gold bearing stream running through the property. I didn't back then realize how good I had it. But my boys and I had a great two years panning on the weekends.

bike riding? no, bowling? no, walking or running? no, stamp collecting? no, coin collecting? no, art painting? no tried that, writing books? no best seller was produced but it was enjoyable and gave me a sense of accomplishment.  reading? no and the list goes on. It is metal detecting for me as long as I can physically get out there and walk and swing.

It is very hard to describe to others outside this great hobby.

I also think it takes a special type of person. I think we detectorists are just plain curious and like to find things. Based on my years on the forum, we come from all walks of life. Some times we go a year or more between a really good find. But between those great finds we are having fun and that is what this hobby is all about having fun. Communicating on forums with like minded people is also fun, because in every day life, I rarely,  if ever run into a detectorists other than some rare sightings while out detecting. Those are rare, maybe 4-5 in the past six years detecting in urban Atlanta.

My dream location would be somewhere on the east coast of FL say lower half of the Treasure Coast down to South Beach. I know two detectorists who do live in that area and really clean up on the rings with nice chunks of ice on them. These two guys are not active on forums or do not make videos of their finds. But they make more than a decent living with their finds. The know where to hunt, know how to read beaches, they have the right detectors and years of beach hunting experiences. Each shared what the do with me because I was writing a small book on Metal Detecting the Treasure Coast. But they both ask me not to reveal their identity.  But moving to FL is not in the cards. My wife has too many relatives  near us and she would never consider leaving where we live.

So like a lot of detectorists, we just have to make do with detecting sites that are within our comfort driving range. For me my limit is about 1 - 1.5 hours drive to a site. Fortunately I have quite a few sites within the 40 minute range.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, maxxkatt said:

It is very hard to describe to others outside this great hobby.

Excellent writeup.  You pretty much summed up what this hobby/endeavor means to me.  I selected this one quote because it reminded me of questions (and looks) I get occasionally, including one just yesterday.  They think "you spend money (for equipment) and hours searching for a few coins?"  And there's the occasional "so, how does that translate to dollars/hour?"  Some people just can't see value in anything but making money.  I guess detecting sounds like work to them.

One difference I have from you is that I have many interests, but they all share a similar common misperception.  One thing I've noticed is that most people don't appreciate the complexity, difficulty, and intellectual effort that 99.9% of activities involve, at least if you want to be at the top level.  Take closed course auto racing (particularly oval racing) for example.  "Oh, it's just a bunch of overgrown kids driving in circles.  I can do that."  It's one of those times I wish I could challenge such ignorance.  "Hop in that car and drive in circles with those overgrown kids.   Let's see how you do...."

• Like 4

My perspective exactly. Great write up.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By GB_Amateur
      My 2021 New Years Resolution (and I think my 2020 one, too) was to find sites I hadn't previously searched rather than to put all my eggs on cleaning up what's left of familiar sites.  (I still do some of that, too, though).  This year I've already reported on four previously unsearched (by me, that is) sites, all which have produced.  More on those in my year end summary in a month.  Early in November I decided to make one more try for 2021 at finding some new ground and with the help of HistoricAerials.com, I found four promising locations.  I'm going to simply refer to them as sites 0, 1, 2, and 3.
      Site 0 is the easiest to report on.  From early 20th Century USGS topos it was a small (one room?) school that disappeared around 1950.  A drive by showed that not only is it now a private home, but that the intersection where it was located has been seriously reworked, i.e. enlargened.  At best it falls into the 'private permission' category and I'm not at all good at those.
      Site 1, with added help from Google searching, was an elementary school and high school back at least to the eary 30's.  The HS closed in the mid 60's and the elementary school a few years later.  The building is still there but there are mixed signals as to whether it's public or private.  Some threatening signs indicated at least part of it is currently privately leased, but the a__holes are very vague about what is and isn't theirs.  I spent 1 1/2 hours in a couple spots with promising results (see photo of good finds below) but I just didn't feel comfortable.  There was a lot of coming and going by various groups (sports participants, church goers, etc.) and although no one bothered me I just didn't feel welcome.
      Site 2 was another small elementary school.  I don't know when it was formed but it appears to also go back to early in the 20th Century.  I think it closed around 1960.  It's now a small public park and community center.  Unfortunately both my visual (internet) research as well as detecting and viewing the site in person makes me think it's been heavily reworked since the school was torn down.  First hunt there, 3 1/2 hours, produced 2 Wheaties and a sterling ring, plus a fair amount of modern coins and trash.  That was my survey hunt.  My second trip there was intended to focus in on a trashy but potentially less overfilled part with the ML Equinox and 6" coil, but that wasn't very fruitful.  About 2 hours in I was approached by an elderly (81 year old) friendly neighbor who filled me in on some history.  He said he had attended that school as a youngster (presumably around 1950) and told me that although several detectorists had been there before me, as far as he knew they had never searched a slope near one edge of the property where he said he used to play and that bulldozers hadn't bothered.  Now that's the kind of info I like to hear!  I thanked him and headed over there.  For now I'll leave it at that and tell more in the show-and-tell portion of this post.  He twice more returned and told me of some other nearby sites I should search but they all sounded like private properties.
      Site 3 is an active, modern elementary school which replaced an early one built around 1955.  I was able to go there during their Thanksgiving recess.  Unfortunately this site has been heavily reworked since the original school was razed and it also feels like it's been rather thoroughly searched.  In 7 1/2 hours (two days) of hunting I only found 2 Wheats plus one other oldie (more on that shortly).
      OK, here is the eye candy you've been waiting for:

Top two items are from Site 1 -- 1983-D nickel-clad half dollar (only my second ever) and a necklace chain and pendant which was clean but unfortunately apparently (magnetic) nickel plated copper.  Both were reasonably shallow but not on the surface.  Based upon these finds I don't think this part of this site has seen detectors in 2 or 3 decades.
      Now the finds are in pairs from lower left.  Site 2 produced this sterling ring with stones (don't know if real, but they look nice to my eye, and especially to my wife who has already claimed it!).  Thanks to that 81 year old former student I found the 1899 Indian Head Penny on the virgin slope where he used to play.  Turns out the EMI was so bad I had to use 4 kHz on the ML Equinox and its dTID rang up in the high 20's (silver coin zone), not 20-ish where they show up in MultiFrequency.  It was only about 4 inches deep.
      Next two (silver alloy 'Warnick' and broken piece of jewelry) were found at Site 3, showing that there are a few spots which haven't been backfilled.  The broken piece showed up in the USA nickel zone (dTID 12-13 on the Equinox) and given its size I think this is high conductive composition.  Both ends show that they were broken off something larger (bracelet?) and the fact there is zero copper coloring there makes me think this could be a silver alloy.
      Finally, the last two items on the right were found this past week in my bread-and-butter 2021 site, the 'Wheatfield', not one of these four recently reserached sites.  The ring has a men's wedding band shape but is marked '925' so sterling.  (My wife has claimed it, too.)  The IHP is a 1901.  In my two times searching there last week I found 5 Wheat pennies each day (3 hour hunts per day).  I expect to spend my last few hunts this year at that site.  I'm sure there are more oldies and I'm shooting for a record year (quantity) of Wheat penny finds.  I only need 5 more to tie last year's 103.
      The above picture is the 'good'.  Here are the 'bad' -- interesting (?) non-coin finds from these four sites:

And if you want to see 'ugly', you'll have to await a future post. 

• By mcjtom
      I looked at my old photos from Laos and there is one with a metal detector in it - a UXO team clearing a village.  Would anybody know what detector they have used?

• By Shelton
      Almost 5Gb of finds catalogues like coins, seals, buckles and other relics. 2GB English language. Free to use on my personal server: [omnitron.pl]
    • By palzynski
      TESTING THE QUEST X5 :
      ---------------------------
      Note : As there is apparently no dedicated QUEST topic in the forum , I decided to post in this METAL DETECTOR ADVICE and COMPARISONS topic 
      I have tested the Quest X5 a few months ago , first part in spring , second part this summer.  
      The Quest X5 has been released at the beginning of 2021. It is a monofreq machine running at 8khz with a modern control box powered by an integrated lithium battery . The CB is rainproof . The X5 has all the basic settings , sensitivity , volume , 3 detection modes : jewelrey , coins , all metal . It has 4 audio tones. 
      Plus a ground balance . It uses an elliptic 10X6 coil. Last but not least , its price is very attractive at 170E ( 200$ in the US ? ) 🙂
      Long story short , I have been very impressed by this little machine . First of all it is very light , weighting only 0.99kg coil cover included ! 🙂 🙂 
      For info there are only 4 detectors under the kg at this moment ,  The Deus , the Orx , and now the X5 plus its grandfather the X10 . This lightness will be appreciated by teenagers , women , and others interested by a very cumfortable to use machine ...
      Second it has a very good audio with an excellent iron filtering ,and very good reactivity on targets . Which means  that it can be used in trashy areas like gardens , paths , yards , fields , etc ...  The X5 audio recalls me some Tesoros or the teknetics T2's audio, I like it ...
      I have only used the X5 during 10 hours , but it looks like a robust and reliable detector. I never had any issue with it during my tests.
      Only a few downsides on this X5 . It is not very sensible to very small targets ( less than 1g ) due to I think its relatively low freq ( 8khz ) . And it has no bluetooth connectivity , only wired headphones can be used .  And some displayed screen infos are very basic, like the conductivity scale . But beginners need simple things and the X5 is for me a perfect detector for a beginner. Or a second machine for an experienced user. Or a good detector for a person with a very limited budget ...
      From what I know the X5 is already a best seller over here in France . From what I have seen during these tests it is well deserved
      My full test of the X5 below ( sorry in French ) , I hope that Google translate will help 🙂...
      https://www.metaux-detection.fr/blog/test-du-detecteur-de-metaux-quest-x5-disque-24x14-n19

For info the X10 ( 230e/270$? ) is an improved version of the X5 with 6 audio tones , 4 modes and more detailed screen infos 
      A few pictures :
      1) The X5 display ,simple and efficient ..

2) The X5 with a Deus HF during a comparative test this summer

3) 1st coin in this field with the X5 , dating from the 17th century

4) light like a feather ...

5) A very clean and aesthetic design 

• By ls4s
      hi iam looking for one of these they are made by allied and the part number is L091 i cant find them on the website

• By Tnsharpshooter
      Rutus Atrex
      https://www.rutus.com.pl/en/page/60/atrex-2
      SPECIFICATIONS
      Built-in Wi-Fi module for software changes Built-in wireless audio transmitter working with OS-2 Color TFT display Weight with batteries (6 AA cells) and black coil - 1630 g Weight with batteries (6 AA cells) and white coil - 1770 g Working time from 20 to 40 hours ADVANCED SOFTWARE (factory)
      Frequency adjustable between 4.4kHz and 18.4kHz in steps of 0.2kHz Automatic Ground Balance 9 factory programs + 5 users Modes of work: Motion with discrimination, All metal, Dual Sensitivity - 99 levels Discrimination: range 0-120 or -90 +90 Notch - 180 notches Hot rock adjustment Reaction speed (ground filters) - 8 levels Multifilter Noise level preview Water Reject Short signal masking - 7 levels Threshold level Threshold tone Threshold sensitivity (All metal channel) VCO (20 levels) SAT Audio gain Iron volume 6 factory preset sound profiles + 3 user programmable sound profiles ID type (range 0-120 or -90 +90) Display information hold time ID gain Volume Backlight Pinpoint Rutus Atrex Operating Manual